Regarding spooks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Day

Reaction score
Been wanting to ask this question going back a year........
Respond if you wish.......detail as much as you wish.....
Has anyone encountered purchasing a property that was an operating B&B. Or a property for the purpose to start a B&B......to find that once moving in, the property contained something unexplained........As in spirits, entities, ghosts, etc ?........
Did this ever cross your mind when looking at properties?
Did you ask this question of the seller ?

If you are so in tuned to these kinds of things...and I guess you are speaking about a pretty old home...then go ahead and ask...or bring a medium with you to the viewing :)

I have a friend who runs haunting tours where they do a Ghost hunter type of thing. Might be a nice way to fill off month weekends.

Yes, we did in our start from scratch Inn..
Little Blue said:
Yes, we did in our start from scratch Inn.
edit:
Thanks for the response.....
If there is anything further you can add....please do......if not. I fully understand.........this is a touchy subject, this I am aware of

PS I am one of the few who does not believe in ghosts, I do believe in spirits and other not of this world entities.

PS I am one of the few who does not believe in ghosts, I do believe in spirits and other not of this world entities..
Joey Bloggs said:
PS I am one of the few who does not believe in ghosts, I do believe in spirits and other not of this world entities.
Then how do you not believe in Ghosts?
My take is.......Ghost, spirit, entity........seen or unseen is the same thing

Without going into great debates, I don't believe in purgatory either. So I don't believe people die and roam the earth, it is written "Absent from the body present with the Lord." I believe they are dead, gone from their bodies and onto another place (not earth). I do believe there are evil spirits.
Just my personal beliefs, not really the place to share all of this, but just wanted to clarify.

I would say it depends if it bothers you or not as it is your home and you have to live there all the time where as if you get a guest and they don't like it then they just go away. Also it depends what you are looking for and frankly it can be a very profitable sideline if you don't mind some slightly odd guests especially in the off season when it is dark and cold and bad weather it is perfect conditions for this kind of thing. Also what you believe youself is your own business it just depends on whether or not you want to market it that way. Our place was built in around 1850 and must have had tons of people living, staying and here and sometimes we do hear odd noises but the building has a happy Mo Jo so I am not worried.

We have a ghost. Did not ask but seller told us. I definitely believe in Myrtle and I do not advertise the fact we are haunted. There is however a local "haunted history" tour and they talk about Myrtle. I will tell guests about her IF they ask if we are haunted but I will never be the first to bring her up.

I'm an analytical type of person.........don't speculate on the "what ifs"
Truthfully.....I have no idea whether I believe, or I don't......I tend to lean towards believing....I do watch the Ghost Hunter type shows on cable and find it interesting.
I started this thread not for my own justification.........more so that I am drawn towards older properties....quite frankly....I'd probably be freaked out if I purchased a property and it was haunted.......I'm not into that kind of thing.
On the other hand......if the presence is harmless and only made it's presence known subtley and infrequently, i'd probably be ok with that....A watchfull, caring entity would probably be a good thing.......

If they cleaned I wouldn't mind them!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

We never asked. Never occurred to us.
However, we bought a house elsewhere that had spirits. It was a young woman, she checked us out a couple of times, seemed to like what we were doing with the old house and then left us alone.

I'm an analytical type of person.........don't speculate on the "what ifs"
Truthfully.....I have no idea whether I believe, or I don't......I tend to lean towards believing....I do watch the Ghost Hunter type shows on cable and find it interesting.
I started this thread not for my own justification.........more so that I am drawn towards older properties....quite frankly....I'd probably be freaked out if I purchased a property and it was haunted.......I'm not into that kind of thing.
On the other hand......if the presence is harmless and only made it's presence known subtley and infrequently, i'd probably be ok with that....A watchfull, caring entity would probably be a good thing........
We have what you are calling a 'watchful, caring entity' here. This spirit is from about 300 years ago and is guarding the property. (We had a spirit medium come to the house.) Really bad storms don't bother me any more because of the spirit.
However, the one the guests run into is a crotchety old man who tries to make guests leave. Pretty much you have to be sensitive as it is relatively few people who sense him, but my son's GF almost knocked me over trying to get out of the room 'he' is in. Without knowing there was such a thing in the house. She said there was something 'wrong' with the room, which is basically how the guests put it.

Thanks Morticia......
Although I watch the shows on TV when I can....I am suspicious as to the validity of their findings.

When I mentioned above.......leaning towards believing.
I also have no doubt that my sister visited me this past spring. I was woken in the middle of the night by my sisters voice screaming my name right in front of my face.......

Thanks Morticia......
Although I watch the shows on TV when I can....I am suspicious as to the validity of their findings..
I am skeptical, it's my nature. I believe stuff, but I need some sort of 'proof'. We had a guest once whho was telling me about her encounter with the crotchety old man and as she was telling the story, the outside door blew open and then slammed shut. I asked her if that happens to her a lot and she said, 'Yeah, all the time.'
I have absolutely no feeling about this guy at all. The room doesn't bother me, I don't sense anything, but too many guests have told me stuff for me to disbelieve them. Guests who don't know each other, don't know about the spirit medium, don't know I've been told all of this before. And it is only the one room.

I also have no doubt that my sister visited me this past spring. I was woken in the middle of the night by my sisters voice screaming my name right in front of my face........
One Day said:
I also have no doubt that my sister visited me this past spring. I was woken in the middle of the night by my sisters voice screaming my name right in front of my face.......
Gomez was in the hospital the day his father died. He woke up in the middle of the night and his dad was sitting at the foot of his hospital bed, 1200 miles from where he died. Gomez knew something was wrong but he felt his father was there to say goodbye as none of the family had been able to get to the hospital where Gomez was laid up for 4 months.

We have three ghosts, there was an actual paranormal group here investigating and have heard it from their website I have not had encounters withthe ghosts, but have heard tales that leaves alot to the imagination. The paranormal team discovered three ghosts-One is a Union Soldier (this B & B is in the south) then there is a lady that walks around and I have encountered the sweet scent-I have smelled this and there where no sachets, or sprays or anything of that nature. My husband keeps telling me that the thirteen year old is mischevious and things dissapear for days then reappear.
Don't know cause I have not encountered any of them, but have heard tales from the townspeople that one guest got so scared that he packed up and left in the middle of the night. I'm still waiting...
I do believe that spirits exist..have anyone ever seen the movie "the others" with Nicole KIidmen? Its a really neat movie...

Back