Regional Differences

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I know without a reason of a doubt that if I have southuhners at my table and serve biscuits they will only eat them with their meal, not before, not on the side, with. I tested my theory this morning, my super cute 50th anniv couple from TN. Hot out of the oven - get em while their hot! Nope, waited til the main meal came.
British breakfast customs are down pat here. They always complain about American Breakfasts, tell us they only eat cornflakes at home (yeah so do I, but this is a B&B) and eat every drop. I remind them of their "fry up" they try to pawn off on us when we visit their country.
wink_smile.gif

What regional things have you found, either in your new location or guests from a different area?

my guests from france asked for wine in the morning ... apparently they drink it throughout the day? so they asked if they could bring some in themselves which was fine. i don't know if this was just these people or a cultural thing. and tea.
they were accustomed to great bread. i picked up a beautiful crusty loaf which they devoured at the first breakfast.
they delighted in one fresh egg each from my egg man which they told me they didn't usually have. and they also brought to the table a wedge of cheese one day.
they ate 3 breakfasts with me, all the same. they did not want waffles or pancakes or quiche, just bread. the first day, they found a lovely little bakery in their travels and brought back all kinds of bread. baguettes and croissants and loaves.
they did offer to share with others what they had. it was quite interesting.

Europeans always start breakfast with cereal. Almost all of them. Some may go on to have the entree, some might not, but cereal it is. (Raisin Bran first, Frosted Flakes second, Shredded Wheat, Corn Flakes a distant fourth.)
Decaf coffee can't be brewed fast enough here when guests are from the MidWest. (2 pots yesterday)
No one from Pac NW will admit to liking or even tolerating Starbucks.
Euros hate our tea so we now carry British tea. Which they all seem to love and are much happier now.
There is not enough sugar in the world for anyone from the UK & Ireland.
Everyone has an opinion on the political nature of the US. No matter where they are from in the world they want to talk about it. The difference is in how they go about testing the waters to see if it's ok to talk about it. Italians jump right in. Canadians, too. UK tend to avoid the topic but will discuss if it's brought up. US citizens are right in the fray. Asians want to know our opinion, less likely to give their own.

Brtis and Canadians- must have the British tea blend. Lipton (yuck) just won't cut it.
Marmalade for the same people.
Eggs and bacon for the midwesterners.
The coasts (both east and west) think that our baked oatmeal is divine and healthy...if they knew what was in it, they'd probably change their minds. But their ignorance is our bliss :)

PS Just for props I won't touch Lipton tea either, never have never will. Just sharing that. Not all Americans enjoy Lipton, it is ...well I won't go there. :)

I have only served sausage gravy and biscuits a few times. It is interesting how they eat them. I served them with the gravy in a nice bowl on the plate with biscuts on the side of the plate. One person just ate the gravy like soup, one broke up the biscuits and dipped them in the gravy, then one just broke them up and poured the gravy on top. She was from TN. It was interesting how different people do things. I would break them up and pour the gravy over. I would love to be served this. I don't order it ever in resturants because they only put maybe two little tiny pieces of sausage in the whole batch. To me that is not sausage and gravy.

PS Just for props I won't touch Lipton tea either, never have never will. Just sharing that. Not all Americans enjoy Lipton, it is ...well I won't go there. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
PS Just for props I won't touch Lipton tea either, never have never will. Just sharing that. Not all Americans enjoy Lipton, it is ...well I won't go there. :)
You've spent a lot of time drinking 'proper' tea. Quite a lot of Americans have no idea there is something else out there besides Lipton or Salada.

Joey Bloggs said:
I know without a reason of a doubt that if I have southuhners at my table and serve biscuits they will only eat them with their meal, not before, not on the side, with.
Never heard of eating a biscuit alone before the meal, unless you're at Red Lobster. You eat breakfast biscuits with the breakfast.

Joey Bloggs said:
I know without a reason of a doubt that if I have southuhners at my table and serve biscuits they will only eat them with their meal, not before, not on the side, with.
Never heard of eating a biscuit alone before the meal, unless you're at Red Lobster. You eat breakfast biscuits with the breakfast..
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Never heard of eating a biscuit alone before the meal, unless you're at Red Lobster. You eat breakfast biscuits with the breakfast.
Picture a scone. a warm biscuit with jam and real butter melting in your mouth. That is how our non-southerners would eat them, vs with the meal, in one hand while eating off the plate with the other. Hope that clarifies. hard, dang it, to express in font at times.
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Never heard of eating a biscuit alone before the meal, unless you're at Red Lobster. You eat breakfast biscuits with the breakfast..
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Picture a scone. a warm biscuit with jam and real butter melting in your mouth. That is how our non-southerners would eat them, vs with the meal, in one hand while eating off the plate with the other. Hope that clarifies. hard, dang it, to express in font at times.
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif
Never really thought about this until you mentioned it, but you are right. I know from personal experience!
teeth_smile.gif

my guests from france asked for wine in the morning ... apparently they drink it throughout the day? so they asked if they could bring some in themselves which was fine. i don't know if this was just these people or a cultural thing. and tea.
they were accustomed to great bread. i picked up a beautiful crusty loaf which they devoured at the first breakfast.
they delighted in one fresh egg each from my egg man which they told me they didn't usually have. and they also brought to the table a wedge of cheese one day.
they ate 3 breakfasts with me, all the same. they did not want waffles or pancakes or quiche, just bread. the first day, they found a lovely little bakery in their travels and brought back all kinds of bread. baguettes and croissants and loaves.
they did offer to share with others what they had. it was quite interesting..
That's odd - I grew up in Europe and we never ate cereal for breakfast. Is that the Brits or also the Continent? In Switzerland and Germany I recall wonderful bread, butter, fruit and cheese for breakfast.
Riki

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Hope that clarifies. hard, dang it, to express in font at times.
shades_smile.gif
I was clear all along. I know how people outside the south do their strange things. Just don't know why anybody would do that to a perfectly good biscuit
regular_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
This is the regional difference Joey meant...if someone put a plate full of warm biscuits in front of me, gone. No waiting for anything else. Everyone else (Southerners) is waiting for the GRAVY they expect to be forthcoming and if they eat their biscuit ahead of time what are they going to sop that gravy with?
I do not expect gravy (!) with my breakfast, so hand over the biscuit, the butter and the jam. I am good to go.
Other regional dfferences in re biscuits (and not in the making of them, that's a book in and of itself) is that almost every person we have had from TN wants honey for the biscuits. They come looking for it and run off with the honey bear from the tea service.
Hot sauce for eggs for TX.
Oddly, I cannot say that pork (sausage, bacon) is wanted across the board from those south of the Mason-Dixon line.
CA surprises me when they say they want pork. (They must be transplants!)

That's odd - I grew up in Europe and we never ate cereal for breakfast. Is that the Brits or also the Continent? In Switzerland and Germany I recall wonderful bread, butter, fruit and cheese for breakfast.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands.

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
This is the regional difference Joey meant...if someone put a plate full of warm biscuits in front of me, gone. No waiting for anything else. Everyone else (Southerners) is waiting for the GRAVY they expect to be forthcoming and if they eat their biscuit ahead of time what are they going to sop that gravy with?
I do not expect gravy (!) with my breakfast, so hand over the biscuit, the butter and the jam. I am good to go.
Other regional dfferences in re biscuits (and not in the making of them, that's a book in and of itself) is that almost every person we have had from TN wants honey for the biscuits. They come looking for it and run off with the honey bear from the tea service.
Oddly, I cannot say that pork (sausage, bacon) is wanted across the board from those south of the Mason-Dixon line.
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Apple butter.
Calf are hot sauce heads as well, since it was, ahem, and is essentially mexico. Tabasco is on every table at every diner, everywhere. It is what it is. Yes I had hot sauce on the table this morning as well.
Calf is on a whole conservative, every day people, so picking out pockets of hollyweird, Bay area, etc will bring you the no glutten vegan earthie fetish diets. The rest of the state, hard to believe, are normal. :)

seashanty said:
they did offer to share with others what they had. it was quite interesting.
In Germany, breakfast was 1 egg, a hard roll whatever it was called it was HARD, cheese, and 1 piece of bacon. The buffet breakfast at the hotel in Paris had yogurt, hard rolls, cheese, fruit, and I think there was some kind of meat. There was also juice & coffee. Probably why I lost weight on that trip.

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Apple butter.
Calf are hot sauce heads as well, since it was, ahem, and is essentially mexico. Tabasco is on every table at every diner, everywhere. It is what it is. Yes I had hot sauce on the table this morning as well.
Calf is on a whole conservative, every day people, so picking out pockets of hollyweird, Bay area, etc will bring you the no glutten vegan earthie fetish diets. The rest of the state, hard to believe, are normal. :)
Just got back from the Apple Butter Festival with a case of pints! give me hot biscuits any time with butter, jam, or honey - I am READY!! Unless it is after coming home from working the polls (up at 4 AM) and getting home at 8:30 PM to hear the asking voice say, "I need some of those biscuits you whip up." We will not discuss what I wanted to say.....

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
While I guess biscuits and gravy is a southern thang, not all southerners are waiting for gravy!!! We don't eat biscuits with gravy every day! Some times we like them slathered with butter and homemade jam or they are waiting for that sausage or bacon to appear to make it a sandwich. Others, like me just like to eat their biscuits with their meal. Now if there is gravy, yes siree bob it will be poured over those busicuts faster than a NY second!
tounge_smile.gif

Getting back to the main topic, could it be that these people just would prefer to wait to eat their bread with or after the main course so they don't fill up on bread????

Back