Regional food for guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We like to serve fruits from local farmers when we have it available. We also like to use Jonathan apples... DH distant relative developed that in New York state, so we can give antecdotal stories. I haven't tried Aebeskivers yet... might try that some day. Also, we serve grits and fried grit cakes occasionally.. grits have not been very well received here, but we do like to offer that as a southern thing.

I thinking along the line of a breakfast food dish. I serve (and sell) WV maple syrup, local honey, and during the season of the Farmer's Market use local produce. A few weeks ago it was blackberries and black raspberries, this past weekend it was local blueberries.
One guest liked my Swedish rye bread so much she asked me to make some for her ("...and remember I am accustomed to paying high prices..."). It was a nostalgia thing as she had not had it since her grandmother died. Not having a clue what to charge her, I said just give me what it is worth to you. She gave me $20 for 2 loaves of bread!! And this was at least 7 or 8 years ago!!

In addition to regional fare, I also serve family recipes- I am a mutt, so I serve Norwegian pancakes, chorizo, Aebelskivers and other things from my family's recipe box and my husband's family's box. Often people are delighted to have something unusual that grandma or auntie used to make.....
Willowpondgj said:
In addition to regional fare, I also serve family recipes- I am a mutt, so I serve Norwegian pancakes, chorizo, Aebelskivers and other things from my family's recipe box and my husband's family's box. Often people are delighted to have something unusual that grandma or auntie used to make....
I'd do that except all my family died from coronary disease and diabetes related illnesses......could it have been those wonderful lard-filled receipes that Grandma made. You betcha!
My little mexican grandma was as wide as she was tall, but boy could she cook! She died early.
My mexican grandmother died this last March at age 92 , we credit her long life to lots of hot chiles, which most of my family agrees, counteracts the effects of the lard in Mexican food! Maybe it depends on what part of Mexico you're from? It's the Scandinavian side that has the coronary disease in my family, and they still live to be in their upper 90's, lost my other Grandmother, same month, age 98! go figure!
I actually serve "soyrizo" to guests, which is a vegetarian version of Chorizo, and having grown up on the real thing, I find it a superior product and no grisle.
I use canola and olive oil for all of my cooking at the inn, except for the pancakes, gotta have the butter...I can make them with Pam on request...
But as Paula Deen says, "I'm your cook, not your nurse, honey!"

In addition to regional fare, I also serve family recipes- I am a mutt, so I serve Norwegian pancakes, chorizo, Aebelskivers and other things from my family's recipe box and my husband's family's box. Often people are delighted to have something unusual that grandma or auntie used to make.....
Willowpondgj said:
In addition to regional fare, I also serve family recipes- I am a mutt, so I serve Norwegian pancakes, chorizo, Aebelskivers and other things from my family's recipe box and my husband's family's box. Often people are delighted to have something unusual that grandma or auntie used to make....
I'd do that except all my family died from coronary disease and diabetes related illnesses......could it have been those wonderful lard-filled receipes that Grandma made. You betcha!
My little mexican grandma was as wide as she was tall, but boy could she cook! She died early.
Looking at your picture, we could be related, your family from Sonora?
regular_smile.gif
I have Tex-Mex roots...

Willowpondgj said:
My mexican grandmother died this last March at age 92 , we credit her long life to lots of hot chiles, which most of my family agrees, counteracts the effects of the lard in Mexican food! Maybe it depends on what part of Mexico you're from? It's the Scandinavian side that has the coronary disease in my family, and they still live to be in their upper 90's, lost my other Grandmother, same month, age 98! go figure!
I actually serve "soyrizo" to guests, which is a vegetarian version of Chorizo, and having grown up on the real thing, I find it a superior product and no grisle.
I use canola and olive oil for all of my cooking at the inn, except for the pancakes, gotta have the butter...I can make them with Pam on request...
My paternal grandfather was a 7th generation Texan having his Spanish roots go all the way back to the early settlement of San Antonio in the 18th century. My grandmother was half Dutch and Half Mexican from Tamaulipas. I think a lot of the health issues are diet related, but a large part of it is in the genetics. My mother is Hines 57 American (read mutt) so it kind of balances things out.

We like to serve fruits from local farmers when we have it available. We also like to use Jonathan apples... DH distant relative developed that in New York state, so we can give antecdotal stories. I haven't tried Aebeskivers yet... might try that some day. Also, we serve grits and fried grit cakes occasionally.. grits have not been very well received here, but we do like to offer that as a southern thing..
Grits are definitely a Southern thang!
teeth_smile.gif
Guests like our cheesy grits here but I only serve a smaller ramekin of them on the side on the plate. Some Northerners (like my dh) do not understand grits and their appeal to those of us with Southern roots.

Willowpondgj said:
My paternal grandfather was a 7th generation Texan having his Spanish roots go all the way back to the early settlement of San Antonio in the 18th century. My grandmother was half Dutch and Half Mexican from Tamaulipas. I think a lot of the health issues are diet related, but a large part of it is in the genetics. My mother is Hines 57 American (read mutt) so it kind of balances things out.

I am second generation Mexican on Mom's side, they were from San Miguel de Horcasitas, Sonora, but the family tree is traced back to Andalusia, Spain, they came with the Jesuits and settled the Tumacacori Mission in Arizona, a lot of back and forth to Sonora, during the revolution, my great grandmother was a soldadera... but my Grandfather's side is from San Antonio, Texas...not much history (never met him, he may still be living) just the name (Huerta)

We like to serve fruits from local farmers when we have it available. We also like to use Jonathan apples... DH distant relative developed that in New York state, so we can give antecdotal stories. I haven't tried Aebeskivers yet... might try that some day. Also, we serve grits and fried grit cakes occasionally.. grits have not been very well received here, but we do like to offer that as a southern thing..
teeth_smile.gif
Guests like our cheesy grits here but I only serve a smaller ramekin of them on the side on the plate. Some Northerners (like my dh) do not understand grits and their appeal to those of us with Southern roots.
My Mother In Law (from the North) puts cream and sugar on her grits...all I can say is YUCK!
Not breakfast related, but have you ever had grits made with Rotel tomatoes that has the chilies in them, bacon and cheese?? I haven't had those in years, I don't eat much bacon anymore and they're just not the same without bacon!
I also have a recipe that you make in the micro for grits with broccoli and cheese, they good and so easy.

AMEN!!!! We have covered it so often here how we are like personal cooks for these guests. Take it or leave it.
Can you imagine going to a friend's home for dinner and acting up like this? I mean, sure if you do not eat meat, make it known, we innkeeper appreciate the notice and the info so we don't waste food.
Chiles are great for the blood stream. I agree with that.

teeth_smile.gif
My Mother In Law (from the North) puts cream and sugar on her grits...all I can say is YUCK!
Not breakfast related, but have you ever had grits made with Rotel tomatoes that has the chilies in them, bacon and cheese?? I haven't had those in years, I don't eat much bacon anymore and they're just not the same without bacon!
I also have a recipe that you make in the micro for grits with broccoli and cheese, they good and so easy.
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
That's what my mother used to say about my putting butter and sugar on them. She was born in and raised in Griffin, GA. She and my dad, being military, moved to Dayton, OH where I was born and raised. Mom made grits often and the only way I would eat them was with butter and sugar like we would do to cream of wheat. Still, I preferred (and still do) cream of wheat over grits. I guess you gotta be raised in the south, not just be from Southern parents to acquire the liking for grits. LOL I can't even remember the last time I had grits.

teeth_smile.gif
I've had those Rotel tomatoes grits in TX but not here. I'll have to make those if I serve breakfast burritos or Jeanne's Southwestern Potato Pie.
regular_smile.gif
Some folks here like to mix their grits up with the tomato gravy for their biscuits. People here (not our guests) are not fans of broccoli unless it's batter dipped & fried
teeth_smile.gif
I am totally serious!!!

AMEN!!!! We have covered it so often here how we are like personal cooks for these guests. Take it or leave it.
Can you imagine going to a friend's home for dinner and acting up like this? I mean, sure if you do not eat meat, make it known, we innkeeper appreciate the notice and the info so we don't waste food.
Chiles are great for the blood stream. I agree with that..
A love of hot, spicy food is why I don't have high blood pressure
teeth_smile.gif
I am totally convinced of this! tee hee....

teeth_smile.gif
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
That's what my mother used to say about my putting butter and sugar on them. She was born in and raised in Griffin, GA. She and my dad, being military, moved to Dayton, OH where I was born and raised. Mom made grits often and the only way I would eat them was with butter and sugar like we would do to cream of wheat. Still, I preferred (and still do) cream of wheat over grits. I guess you gotta be raised in the south, not just be from Southern parents to acquire the liking for grits. LOL I can't even remember the last time I had grits.
I was actually born in North Carolina but my parents moved to Michigan when I was just an infant. I grew up with my Mom making grits. She would put a plop of butter, salt and pepper on them and that was the only way we knew how to eat them. It NEVER dawned on me to put anything else on them until after I aquired a MIL and moved down South and when they visited us I made grits and she asked for the cream and sugar...I was like What??! Since I can't bear to see her "defile
omg_smile.gif
" them that way I always make them another way than plain! LOL!!!

teeth_smile.gif
I've had those Rotel tomatoes grits in TX but not here. I'll have to make those if I serve breakfast burritos or Jeanne's Southwestern Potato Pie.
regular_smile.gif
Some folks here like to mix their grits up with the tomato gravy for their biscuits. People here (not our guests) are not fans of broccoli unless it's batter dipped & fried
teeth_smile.gif
I am totally serious!!!
People here (not our guests) are not fans of broccoli unless it's batter dipped & fried
teeth_smile.gif
I am totally serious!!!

Even if it's chopped up tiny and in a casserole?? I love broccoli!!

teeth_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif
I am totally serious!!!
People here (not our guests) are not fans of broccoli unless it's batter dipped & fried
teeth_smile.gif
I am totally serious!!!

Even if it's chopped up tiny and in a casserole?? I love broccoli!!
Okay, okay....broccoli in a casserole with lots of cheese & butter with buttered bread crumbs on the top would probably get eaten here at a covered dish supper
teeth_smile.gif
Me, I love steamed broccoli with absolutely nothing on it but I've lived all over the U.S. I love broccoli quiche but I'd be afraid to make it here unless my guests were from other locales. tee hee....

Back