Regional food for guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Do you serve anything that is regional (another thread prompted this)?
Ex: If you are in Georgia ,do you try to share your famous Georgia peaches with your guests?
What is a regional food in your area, and how do you fix it for breakfasts for guests?
EX: Biscuits and gravy is typically southern. Sure it is served all over but has its roots in the south.

We play up the blueberries and maple syrup quite a bit. When it is cooler I do the cobblers with local fruits. Someone else mentioned the smell of seafood in the morning...ugh...so we don't do the lobster/crab quiche anymore.
I try to AVOID other areas' regional dishes when guests are from that area...ie- no pineapple when Hawaiians are in the house. No peaches when Georgians are here. It doesn't always work out that way, but I try.
However, if we have all guests from one area and they are game, we'll TRY one of their regional dishes just to get opinions...biscuits and gravy as an example. We did cheesy grits one morning. THAT was an eye-opener! Apparently the best cheesy grits are the ones your mama made.

Out side of Georgia, our valley is world famous for its peaches, yes it's peaches all this month, and apricots last month Cherries in June and wine in September, Olathe sweet corn is on right now too.

Other than pepperoni rolls and ramps, I cannot think of any just WV foods that would be a breakfast food. I do not think Oliverio's peppers would be appropriate albeit they are the best.
The Grimes Golden and the Golden Delicious apple were developed here. I almost always have golden delicious apples in the fruit baskets but the Grimes usually get shipped out of State and are hard to find. With all the housing developments in the Eastern Panhandle, I think we have lost a lot of our apple orchards.

Other than pepperoni rolls and ramps, I cannot think of any just WV foods that would be a breakfast food. I do not think Oliverio's peppers would be appropriate albeit they are the best.
The Grimes Golden and the Golden Delicious apple were developed here. I almost always have golden delicious apples in the fruit baskets but the Grimes usually get shipped out of State and are hard to find. With all the housing developments in the Eastern Panhandle, I think we have lost a lot of our apple orchards..
gillumhouse said:
The Grimes Golden and the Golden Delicious apple were developed here. I almost always have golden delicious apples in the fruit baskets but the Grimes usually get shipped out of State and are hard to find. With all the housing developments in the Eastern Panhandle, I think we have lost a lot of our apple orchards.
Are their any cooked dishes that you think are only found - not just in your section of WV, but WV as a whole?
Example: The other day I FINALLY got to try something I have been waiting to try for years and years! A Kentucky Brown. I have never found it on a menu anywhere and I have never been to Kentucky! I was tempted to drive there just to try it!
I am worried I may have missed the true Kentucky Brown (Hot Brown) and got a gourmet adulterated version. I don't want to make one myself until I experience it first.
If I lived in Kentucky I would serve it to guests, bacon, tomatoes, would be a nice breakfast dish!

The Grimes Golden and the Golden Delicious apple were developed here. I almost always have golden delicious apples in the fruit baskets but the Grimes usually get shipped out of State and are hard to find. With all the housing developments in the Eastern Panhandle, I think we have lost a lot of our apple orchards..
gillumhouse said:
Are their any cooked dishes that you think are only found - not just in your section of WV, but WV as a whole?
Example: The other day I FINALLY got to try something I have been waiting to try for years and years! A Kentucky Brown. I have never found it on a menu anywhere and I have never been to Kentucky! I was tempted to drive there just to try it!
I am worried I may have missed the true Kentucky Brown (Hot Brown) and got a gourmet adulterated version. I don't want to make one myself until I experience it first.
If I lived in Kentucky I would serve it to guests, bacon, tomatoes, would be a nice breakfast dish!
I will bite - what is a Kentucky Brown?
We do have the Rosi at Jimmy's. It is served on a dinner plate but you do not see the plate for the bun! A Rosi is a sausage sandwich that is made with Jimmy's homemade sausage and served with your choice of hot or sweet peppers.
They have ramp festivals and ramp dinners all over the State in the Spring and there are vendors at the side of the road everywhere seling ramps. I would have thought they de-ramped this State a long time ago but apparently not.
I have not spent much time in southern WV so they may have something but I cannot remember anything in particular from the northern panhandle. Chocolate bananas were a Chicago thing. There was an Italian restaurant in Steubenville that made wonderful meatballs heels.

Kentucky Brown or Hot Brown
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
moz-screenshot-4.jpg
the image of it is here. I posted the recipe under recipes.

I had to look that up and still am not sure what a RAMP is?
moz-screenshot-5.jpg
moz-screenshot-6.jpg
moz-screenshot-7.jpg
The picture in your ramp post did not come through for me but I assume you found a picture of a ramp. I maintain GOD took the worst of green onions and married it to the worst of garlic and called it a ramp. It sort of looks like a very small green onion but with a broader leaf type greens. They taste (I am told by those who like green onions (no thank you)) great HOWEVER DH has been told to not even THINK about coming near for at least 3 days after eating ramps - WHEW!!! actually EEEeeeewwwwww!!! The only way I eat them is in a potato ramp soup I make - and was asked to make it again for a church dinner.
A ramp will only grow in the wild on the mountains. They have tried to cultivate them and as true Mountaineers, the ramps stubbornly refuse to be cultivated. They are wild and will not be tamed!

Is potato ramp soup like potato leek soup?
Se YOU do have something regional, but you can't stand them. I hear ya on that one, we have a few of those sorts here. Chitlins comes to mind.
tounge_smile.gif

Se YOU do have something regional, but you can't stand them. I hear ya on that one, we have a few of those sorts here. Chitlins comes to mind.
tounge_smile.gif
Sort of but you can sy Hello to someone afer eating potato leek soup. You had best be at least 5 feet away and have a head cold before a person eating ramps says hello. Only if both have eaten them is it acceptable.

Being in Miami, the other capital of Cuba, I try to do some Cuban things. During breakfast I serve colada (a very, very strong, sweet Cuban espresso that is served in tiny 3/4 ounce cups) or cortadito (half colada and milk or evaporated milk which is more traditional) for those who wish to indulge.
I've not yet mastered Cuban pastilitos (pastries), but my local bakery, Versailles, makes the best, and I can pick up a box the day before when I want to do a Cuban themed breakfast. For a breakfast meat, we offer ham croquetas. There isn't a whole lot more to a Cuban breakfast, so I do throw in some eggs and fruit. I have much more variety for dinner. Tonight's churrasco steak with homemade chimichuri was excellent!

Being in Miami, the other capital of Cuba, I try to do some Cuban things. During breakfast I serve colada (a very, very strong, sweet Cuban espresso that is served in tiny 3/4 ounce cups) or cortadito (half colada and milk or evaporated milk which is more traditional) for those who wish to indulge.
I've not yet mastered Cuban pastilitos (pastries), but my local bakery, Versailles, makes the best, and I can pick up a box the day before when I want to do a Cuban themed breakfast. For a breakfast meat, we offer ham croquetas. There isn't a whole lot more to a Cuban breakfast, so I do throw in some eggs and fruit. I have much more variety for dinner. Tonight's churrasco steak with homemade chimichuri was excellent!.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I've not yet mastered Cuban pastilitos (pastries), but my local bakery, Versailles, makes the best, and I can pick up a box the day before when I want to do a Cuban themed breakfast. For a breakfast meat, we offer ham croquetas. There isn't a whole lot more to a Cuban breakfast, so I do throw in some eggs and fruit. I have much more variety for dinner. Tonight's churrasco steak with homemade chimichuri was excellent!
I had biscuits and sausage gravy in a hotel in Miami!
Cuban sausage sliced up like chorizo was in the gravy! I nearly died laughing. Well how else would a cuban cook make the gravy?
Actually it was pretty good!

I've not yet mastered Cuban pastilitos (pastries), but my local bakery, Versailles, makes the best, and I can pick up a box the day before when I want to do a Cuban themed breakfast. For a breakfast meat, we offer ham croquetas. There isn't a whole lot more to a Cuban breakfast, so I do throw in some eggs and fruit. I have much more variety for dinner. Tonight's churrasco steak with homemade chimichuri was excellent!.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I had biscuits and sausage gravy in a hotel in Miami!
Cuban sausage sliced up like chorizo was in the gravy! I nearly died laughing. Well how else would a cuban cook make the gravy?
Actually it was pretty good!
We also have fresh blueberries AND peaches available to us. Because we're in Texas, we have the Mexican/Southwest influence over several of our dishes.
I think it's important to serve regional dishes in a B&B. When guests arrive they expect the unexpected and not the usual faire of a Holiday Inn Express or La Quinta breakfast buffet. Regional food is part of the adventure of traveling. I can eat Captain Crunch at home.
wink_smile.gif

In addition to regional fare, I also serve family recipes- I am a mutt, so I serve Norwegian pancakes, chorizo, Aebelskivers and other things from my family's recipe box and my husband's family's box. Often people are delighted to have something unusual that grandma or auntie used to make....

I had to look that up and still am not sure what a RAMP is?
moz-screenshot-5.jpg
moz-screenshot-6.jpg
moz-screenshot-7.jpg
The picture in your ramp post did not come through for me but I assume you found a picture of a ramp. I maintain GOD took the worst of green onions and married it to the worst of garlic and called it a ramp. It sort of looks like a very small green onion but with a broader leaf type greens. They taste (I am told by those who like green onions (no thank you)) great HOWEVER DH has been told to not even THINK about coming near for at least 3 days after eating ramps - WHEW!!! actually EEEeeeewwwwww!!! The only way I eat them is in a potato ramp soup I make - and was asked to make it again for a church dinner.
A ramp will only grow in the wild on the mountains. They have tried to cultivate them and as true Mountaineers, the ramps stubbornly refuse to be cultivated. They are wild and will not be tamed!
DH calls ramps a cross between an onion and a garlic with a strut :) Love ramps but our family cooked them in the electric skillet outside to lower the rench/stench inside. Out of self-defense the whole family/church congregation should eat ramps during ramp festival/ramp season otherwise it is intolerable! My father would put raw ramps on the one-room schoolhouse stove and the teacher would have to close the school for the day and air it out. :) He was a avid pracitical joker... he put a raw ramp inside one of his sale reps hat bands. The guy couldn't smell it cuz he had eaten ramps the night before, but the people sitting next to him in the plane could. The following days he did smell it and couldn't figure it out for a bit.. I think the hat was swiftly thrown away when discovered. I don't know if dad got a bill for a hat replacement or not. :-/

In addition to regional fare, I also serve family recipes- I am a mutt, so I serve Norwegian pancakes, chorizo, Aebelskivers and other things from my family's recipe box and my husband's family's box. Often people are delighted to have something unusual that grandma or auntie used to make.....
Willowpondgj said:
In addition to regional fare, I also serve family recipes- I am a mutt, so I serve Norwegian pancakes, chorizo, Aebelskivers and other things from my family's recipe box and my husband's family's box. Often people are delighted to have something unusual that grandma or auntie used to make....
I'd do that except all my family died from coronary disease and diabetes related illnesses......could it have been those wonderful lard-filled receipes that Grandma made. You betcha!
My little mexican grandma was as wide as she was tall, but boy could she cook! She died early.

Anything Southern :) I mix it up with things that are not all fried
teeth_smile.gif
haha!
Actually, also cook things from the various places that we've lived as well.

Back