Reissue check?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
The question has arisen in the executive suite here: almost 3 years ago we issued a check to refund a $150 deposit on a cancellation made within our full refund date window. It was never cashed. I got a call today saying they found the old check asking if it was okay to try to cash it now. Should we 1) reissue a check, 2) no check, but give a one-year rain-check voucher for a stay here, or 3) just say too late, no go.

It is it still an outstanding liability on your books?
I would be tempted to say "you can try" and then (maybe) add, "but if it gets rejected, there is no recourse."

I would be tempted to say "you can try" and then (maybe) add, "but if it gets rejected, there is no recourse.".
OnTheShore said:
I would be tempted to say "you can try" and then (maybe) add, "but if it gets rejected, there is no recourse."
I like this. But, if it falls, id ask them to send the check back and you'll issue another.
I'm the mother of a kid who never turned in the checks for her lunch and ate free for a year. I was mortified. I'm obviously also a person who does not closely monitor her check book.
I'd want the guests be happy. I know what it's like to make a mistake like that.
We just had a guest whose dad died and she did not cash the refund check for 4 months.

The old cheque is stale, no bank should be allowed to cash it. (There is an exception for government cheques.)
I would reissue it. You want the liability off of your books.

Back