Relief management

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm new to the site and wondered if anyone could offer any advice please.
I've limited experience working in bed and breakfasts although I do have quite a few house and pet sits under my belt with several references so therefore am deemed as trustworthy.
I'd like to know the best way of breaking into this field i.e. are there courses to go on, qualifications to gain etc?
I'm 55 and will be going it alone so I won't be part of a couple and wondered if this might hinder me?
Thank you,
Mark

You do not need qualifications to do this, just look at the hundreds of thousands of listings on Airbnb.
If you are looking to borrow money to get started, then yes, the bank will expect you to have at least taken a class so you have a better understanding of running a business.
A good start is to stay at a b&b to see if you like it. Take a look around at how things are done. Are you comfortable? Did you feel welcome?
The state association for innkeepers is another good place to start. They offer classes and may have materials you can read online.
Alone is harder, but not undoable.

Mark are you saying you desire to open your own inn or become an inn sitter while the innkeeper is away?
We were lucky to be able to borrow the funds to get started and pretty well learned by doing (at times the hard way) with our business. If money is available it is doable to learn as you go.
On the other hand if you mean selling youself as a relief operator I'm not sure how to answer as every operation is likely to be a bit different ranging from those needing a manager to those where you need to know and do everything.
I would think inn sitting would be more difficult as an individual depending on the size of the operation, as a one person process, making a tasty and attractive breakfast for guests, cleaning kitchen, cleaning house and getting guest rooms ready for new guests, shopping for tomorrow's breakfast, checking in new guests, I fear it would whip me quickly.
If that's your intent, I think I would talk with a local inn(s) and see if one would allow me to volunteer as a shadow helper as it would give you a feel for the work and possible connections from the innkeeper(s) that saw your work.

Although Himself was with me from start-up until March 2017 when he departed permanently, it was my "baby". He did dishes (oh how is miss him for that) & vac and talked to guests. Now the phone is forwarded to my cell and I am IT. Only have 3 rooms so I can handle it. IF you are looking for a place in West Virginia I can offer a sweet deal. Just have to finish sorting through 20 years of paper & crap.
i find it doable and have time to be City Clerk and involved in my City's organizations including the Community Band and other things.
it all depends on what YOU want from it and what YOU want your life to be.

I would start by getting a part time job at a local B&B/ Inn/ Hotel. Attend a B&B seminar and they can give you lots of information. Then make your decision.

Back