Remembering guests.....or forgetting....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InnBloom

Reaction score
I wonder if this rings a bell with anyone else....
Got a reservation yesterday for a couple with odd names. My first thought "Oh, I remember that name. They were here once. Maybe 6 months ago..." I looked them up on my res system and was APPALLED to realize they were here for one night just 3 weeks ago. Now they're booking for two nights in December.
As hard as I try, I have no faces to put with their names, and no details recorded, and it was only 3 weeks ago!! So I can feel good that they want to come back, but I just feel terrible that I don't remember one thing about them. In my defense, this has been our busiest month EVER and we're just trying to stay sane, but still. I feel badly that I don't remember anything about them. Does this happen to you?

All the time.
cry_smile.gif

They stay, they pay, they go away.
Some come again another day.

Don't feel badly. I hd some in-coming stop at the Welcome Center to get the keys because I was there for a function & DH was going to be out also. I had 2 rooms coming in that day. When I got home DH was on the porch talking to a couple - I DID NOT recognize them as having received the house keys from me just a few hours earlier! THAT is BAD!!!

As I tell the guests when they ask, I only remember the BAD GUESTS, so that is a compliment! :)

This happens all the time to me too. Once a guest is out the door, they're out of my head. So, now I make little notes to remember them so if they do call or come back I have a reference point.

Don't feel badly. I hd some in-coming stop at the Welcome Center to get the keys because I was there for a function & DH was going to be out also. I had 2 rooms coming in that day. When I got home DH was on the porch talking to a couple - I DID NOT recognize them as having received the house keys from me just a few hours earlier! THAT is BAD!!!.
gillumhouse said:
When I got home DH was on the porch talking to a couple - I DID NOT recognize them as having received the house keys from me just a few hours earlier! THAT is BAD!!!
That happens to me all the time. I do all the check-ins here at the Inn...and by the next morning, most names have fled me. Most guests I see in the morning is greeted with a smile and a "Good Morning Sunshine!"

I have a photographic memory for faces so I am pretty good but crap with names i can tell you everything about a person except their name.

Of course! You are not alone here. We tend to remember the guests with odd requests, troublemakers in some way, or the guests that otherwise make an impression on us. These were probably just nice, "regular" guests and that's why you don't remember them. You'll probably have a memory flash when they check in.

I just checked in a guest who I recognized from a recent stay about 6 weeks ago. Turns out 6 weeks ago he was here with his wife celebrating their 20th anniversary!
broken_heart.gif
Let's just say, this is NOT his wife. I keep telling myself it's none of my business!

Just don't tell me the wife just got one night and the "other" got two nights.
omg_smile.gif

I only remember people if they stain their sheets beyond recognition or a raccoon eats their dog in the parking lot.

Back