Remodeling the Avenue

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrh

Reaction score
So after our first 5 glorious days of operation we are closed down for 3 weeks to remodel and get really moved in!
We've stripped wallpaper to float the sand finish walls smooth, pulled up carpets and will refinish some of the hardwood and recarpet some other areas. Crown moulding going up prior to wallpaper installation on walls and ceilings. DW is at home in the trenches as I am at the day job with time to share these pics. Burning the candle at both ends right now but our "new" hot tub surely is a great way to end the long evenings of work.
wallpaper%20stripped.jpg

It looks pretty gruesome with the wallpaper stripped off but these got floated last night and the new paper will look great.
entry%20and%20zoee.jpg

Some nice fir floors under that old carpet (the dog wasn't under there). Looks like varnish that has darkened with age. Get that off and they will be a lot lighter and look great.
fp%20parlor%20crown.jpg

New crown moulding up.
r

If you are not doing so already, get a page on your website to document this! I got a LOT of hits on my reno page and a lot of previous guests said it was fun to watch.
I must say you are being waaaaay more ambitious than anything I have ever done. We did the carpet this year and I still can't face the cleaning involved in putting the rooms back together. At this point, only one room was untouched. EVERY other room in the house requires a massive cleaning after the carpet guys. And the one room that wasn't touched? That's the room I have to paint.

We are still working on getting squared away with the website folks. Getting everything changed over at the holidays has not been the greatest way to go we discovered but we are suffering through it! We have been shooting a lot of pics for documentation. I'll have to get our own "reno" page going.
One thing we have in our favor on this remodel is that we stayed in the area where we have a lot of long time contacts and friends. Both of us working in the construction trades for years is beneficial as we have a good established network of resources. All the contractors we are using we know so that is really good when it comes to scheduling, cooperation and pricing.

We are still working on getting squared away with the website folks. Getting everything changed over at the holidays has not been the greatest way to go we discovered but we are suffering through it! We have been shooting a lot of pics for documentation. I'll have to get our own "reno" page going.
One thing we have in our favor on this remodel is that we stayed in the area where we have a lot of long time contacts and friends. Both of us working in the construction trades for years is beneficial as we have a good established network of resources. All the contractors we are using we know so that is really good when it comes to scheduling, cooperation and pricing..
rrh said:
One thing we have in our favor on this remodel is that we stayed in the area where we have a lot of long time contacts and friends. Both of us working in the construction trades for years is beneficial as we have a good established network of resources. All the contractors we are using we know so that is really good when it comes to scheduling, cooperation and pricing.
Ah, you have people! Good for you. That's the hardest part...getting people. You had me worried. I thought your wife was doing all of this work on her own with you pitching in after you got home! I had no idea how you were going to get all of that done!
We just got the new tile for one bathroom today. It took hubs 4 days to chip the old ceramic off and level the floor. So, new tile should be in this weekend!

One thing we have in our favor on this remodel is that we stayed in the area where we have a lot of long time contacts and friends. Both of us working in the construction trades for years is beneficial as we have a good established network of resources. All the contractors we are using we know so that is really good when it comes to scheduling, cooperation and pricing..
rrh said:
Ah, you have people! Good for you. That's the hardest part...getting people. You had me worried. I thought your wife was doing all of this work on her own with you pitching in after you got home! I had no idea how you were going to get all of that done!
We just got the new tile for one bathroom today. It took hubs 4 days to chip the old ceramic off and level the floor. So, new tile should be in this weekend!
Trim carpenter's helper mentioned to DW as they were wrapping up today that he does counter tops. He'll be back tomorrow with his samples. It's all good.

looking good -- love the dog!.
Thanks! We have a Scottie too. Had the photographer in trying to shoot em for the website the other day. Wow, trickier than kids! We were trying to get the cat in a shot with the 2 dogs but don't think we got that one. The cat's part of the dog pack. We all 4 go for a walk in the mornings. Have both dogs at my feet right now. They are kind of freaked out with the move and weren't doing so great in the construction zone.

I hope you can get it all done in 3 weeks! Good for you!
I've been working around here for the last 5 days. Later this afternoon I got 2 ceilings patched and was waiting for them to dry for sanding. Started not feeling so good so I decided to knock off for the day at 4:30. I just barfed (which I never do and I'm rarely sick at all!). I have no idea where I picked this up since I haven't really left the house all week but I hope it doesn't last. Rats...I still have plenty to do before guests next week.
sad_smile.gif

Good luck with your renos!

I've been working around here for the last 5 days. Later this afternoon I got 2 ceilings patched and was waiting for them to dry for sanding. Started not feeling so good so I decided to knock off for the day at 4:30. I just barfed (which I never do and I'm rarely sick at all!). I have no idea where I picked this up since I haven't really left the house all week but I hope it doesn't last. Rats...I still have plenty to do before guests next week.
sad_smile.gif

Good luck with your renos!.
Hope you feel better soon! I hate that...just have a minute of time with no guests and I get sick. Knock wood, so far so good. We can only have one sick innkeeper at a time around here and hubs is still coughing (but now on antibiotics).

sad_smile.gif

Good luck with your renos!.
Hope you feel better soon! I hate that...just have a minute of time with no guests and I get sick. Knock wood, so far so good. We can only have one sick innkeeper at a time around here and hubs is still coughing (but now on antibiotics).
Thanks. I can't remember the last time I was sick like that...years probably! It's moving down the pipeline, so to speak. Still haven't eaten since yesterday morning. I'm trying some watered down cranberry juice. The weird thing is I haven't been anywhere since I've been working on the house except a neighbor's house on Wednesday. The little kids had come down with some kind of cold...that's the only place that I can figure that I picked it up
confused_smile.gif
Good thing that we are not open for guests! But this is now putting a crimp in my project timeline
sad_smile.gif

Gee, I hope those nasty reno pics aren't what made you barf! Hope you are feeling better. We decided to block another week since nobody is knocking down the door to book in January. Good progress this weekend. Might post some more pics from work tomorrow.

Gee, I hope those nasty reno pics aren't what made you barf! Hope you are feeling better. We decided to block another week since nobody is knocking down the door to book in January. Good progress this weekend. Might post some more pics from work tomorrow..
lol! I'm sure if it was looking at the state of anything anywhere that made me sick, it would be my own living space.
regular_smile.gif

Took me 2 days to get over it but I was back on the ladder this afternoon doing a few small things around here. Tomorrow I should be back to full speed.
Can't wait to see your "after" photos!! Continued good luck with the projects! Mine ALWAYS seem to take a lot longer than planned....

Gee, I hope those nasty reno pics aren't what made you barf! Hope you are feeling better. We decided to block another week since nobody is knocking down the door to book in January. Good progress this weekend. Might post some more pics from work tomorrow..
lol! I'm sure if it was looking at the state of anything anywhere that made me sick, it would be my own living space.
regular_smile.gif

Took me 2 days to get over it but I was back on the ladder this afternoon doing a few small things around here. Tomorrow I should be back to full speed.
Can't wait to see your "after" photos!! Continued good luck with the projects! Mine ALWAYS seem to take a lot longer than planned....
We are into week 2 of doing one bathroom floor. Hubs said last night all new baseboard molding will need to be bought as this tile is thinner than the last one so the molding will no longer cover the bottom edge of the wallpaper. Today he is cutting the the small tile pieces that are needed around the outside edges. And I have to see if we have wallpaper left over to repair around the sink as, again, the tile is thinner so the sink won't sit exactly where it did before. Always something...

regular_smile.gif

We are into week 2 of doing one bathroom floor. Hubs said last night all new baseboard molding will need to be bought as this tile is thinner than the last one so the molding will no longer cover the bottom edge of the wallpaper. Today he is cutting the the small tile pieces that are needed around the outside edges. And I have to see if we have wallpaper left over to repair around the sink as, again, the tile is thinner so the sink won't sit exactly where it did before. Always something...
I hear you, Sistuh! Finish carpentry on our house renovations took forever...of course, I'm married to a perfectionist who is worse than I am. Haha! Have him check out some of the new "fake wood" mouldings for the bath. Great for any possible water issues, although I'm not fond of how they paint up. We also used clear acrylic caulk in all our baths to try and keep things sealed up from any possible small water issues.

regular_smile.gif

I hear you, Sistuh! Finish carpentry on our house renovations took forever...of course, I'm married to a perfectionist who is worse than I am. Haha! Have him check out some of the new "fake wood" mouldings for the bath. Great for any possible water issues, although I'm not fond of how they paint up. We also used clear acrylic caulk in all our baths to try and keep things sealed up from any possible small water issues.
Do they stain? All of this room is stained woodwork even tho the rest of the house is painted.

DW was shooting some progress pics last night. This is the second one I looked at this morning. It's a good shot of the skim coated walls and the handrail we had to strip off the latex over oil leprosy effect. The most interesting thing are the "orbs" up at the turn landing! If you look at those ghost hunter websites you'll see lots of spirit orb pics. This is the first time we have had these show up in any pics we have taken with this camera. Yes, we were doing a lot of sanding this weekend so it could be dust but considering we were built in the 1880s AND there have been "sighting" reports in the house, perhaps some of the old ones are checking out our work
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

stair%20orbs.jpg

Be careful, they say that the spirits don't like it when you do work in their house.....
wink_smile.gif

Be careful, they say that the spirits don't like it when you do work in their house.....
wink_smile.gif
My theory is that spirits are only unhappy when you do BAD work to their homes. This work looks lovely!!
I agree! We have had "company" in every house we have lived in and we remodeled them as well. "Everyone" seemed happy with our efforts - there was one moan as we started demo on our last house....

regular_smile.gif

Do they stain? All of this room is stained woodwork even tho the rest of the house is painted.
hmmm...not sure about that. We have only bought the white fake wood trim. Maybe some of it came in a natural though. Thank goodness, it's been awhile since we bought any of that & we have a garage that's a mini lumber/hardware store. haha!

Back