Remote Video Monitors

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowwood

Reaction score
I am asking about Video Monitoring as regards Day Rooms, Kitchens, Front Doors, and at Driveway Entrances. We are contemplating a Homestay B&B on Prince of Wales, Alaska. The lot we have in mind will have a long drieway to reach the hill top location. We see the possible need for a Video System with 2-way voice ability at the lower side and front door. Has any one had any experience along this line? Our time line is 2-3 years out.

Do you mean like a sort of entry phone with a camera so you can see them at the end of your drive? my next door neighbour has one that also works with her door lock so she can let people in remotely the only thing I would say is you need really clear instructions on how to use it cos people are very daft.

I wouldn't do anything inside the house. ...that can be spooky for guests. If you are seriously concerned that strangers will be coming up your driveway maybe something like that would be good. Or how about having an electronically controlled gate where they would buzz to have you open and let them in. Is there really that much of a concern where you are??? I don't have a clue about your location in Alaska but it seems kind of far out there to me? I kind of thought bears, moose etc might be your only trespassers??

2-3 years away and you are thinking about it now? Technology will change by then, I would wait. Most inns that I know of on tis forum do not have long driveways or gated entrances. Things are consumer friendly now, there are a ton of options out. Just go to ADT or one of those, they will be MORE THAN HAPPY to share a few with you!

A driveway camera/monitor on the exterior, no problem. Do not put any cameras in the interior! I stayed once at a b&b with cameras in hallway, common areas, etc and I really felt uncomfortable. I made me feel like they were spying on us and of course we wondered if there were any hidden cameras in our room. VERY CREEPY! I would never stay there again.

PS In a place where it is legal to wear a firearm in public, I wouldn't have people's rights infringed on with cameras. Not sure why you would even do this.

If someone will have to be 'admitted' at the entry to the driveway, you probably don't need another video monitor at the door as you will know they are on the way. If the driveway access is open to anyone, then having it at the door is not a bad idea if you're way out there.
Wouldn't put them in the interior space. If you are going to do a 'homestay' that means you live there. People will think it's odd that you are monitoring the interior spaces. No matter what hotels do, it's a lot more personal when someone is staying in your home.
If your concerns are with theft or destruction of property, you might want to reconsider the homestay model.

Do you mean like a sort of entry phone with a camera so you can see them at the end of your drive? my next door neighbour has one that also works with her door lock so she can let people in remotely the only thing I would say is you need really clear instructions on how to use it cos people are very daft..
The entry phone type for the drive and front door is what I had in mind. It would not be gated,but, some may want to be sure it is OK to come up,and, that they have the right place. Zoning will not allow a large sign so the even the name on the mail box cannot say too much. A camera in the common area and main kitchen are an after thought in case I may be at another building on the property. I could access all cameras 2-way from there. I do not envision a security problem at this point in time. I am just trying to think ahead. Prince Of Wales is in the Southern Alaska Reigon west of Ketchikan, AK. I do want to say to all that are on here that this site has been a terific source for the Pitfalls and Treasures of the B%B Life. Art

Do you mean like a sort of entry phone with a camera so you can see them at the end of your drive? my next door neighbour has one that also works with her door lock so she can let people in remotely the only thing I would say is you need really clear instructions on how to use it cos people are very daft..
The entry phone type for the drive and front door is what I had in mind. It would not be gated,but, some may want to be sure it is OK to come up,and, that they have the right place. Zoning will not allow a large sign so the even the name on the mail box cannot say too much. A camera in the common area and main kitchen are an after thought in case I may be at another building on the property. I could access all cameras 2-way from there. I do not envision a security problem at this point in time. I am just trying to think ahead. Prince Of Wales is in the Southern Alaska Reigon west of Ketchikan, AK. I do want to say to all that are on here that this site has been a terific source for the Pitfalls and Treasures of the B%B Life. Art
If you think you might be elsewhere, how about an intercom system? You could show the guests where it is and let them know to use it fi no one appears to be around. I'd really avoid cameras in the house.

If you think you might be elsewhere, how about an intercom system? You could show the guests where it is and let them know to use it fi no one appears to be around. I'd really avoid cameras in the house.
Sugestion accepted. I had the same thought which is why I posed the question. We want to start from scratch and blend our living area into the guest area as seamlessly as possible. With Congress at war with the rest of us, we are not sure what next year will be like, let alone a year or two down the line. We will try to make the move from here in New Hampshire to P.O.W. next year. The logistics of a road and sea trip of 4000 + miles will be a feat all by itself! LOL Art

I think partly it depends on how obtrusive things are we have a camera over the car park for security and you can't even see it. we have two inside and no one has commented yet. However in the UK cameras are more common and the rule is as long as you have a sign up warning people you are recording its fine. a lot of people have a camera that doesn't record ie facing the car park so they can be at the door when they come.

Sugestion accepted. I had the same thought which is why I posed the question. We want to start from scratch and blend our living area into the guest area as seamlessly as possible. With Congress at war with the rest of us, we are not sure what next year will be like, let alone a year or two down the line. We will try to make the move from here in New Hampshire to P.O.W. next year. The logistics of a road and sea trip of 4000 + miles will be a feat all by itself! LOL Art
Hollowwood said:
Re your last sentence, my youngest & his wife are moving to Finland from California in 22 months.

I think partly it depends on how obtrusive things are we have a camera over the car park for security and you can't even see it. we have two inside and no one has commented yet. However in the UK cameras are more common and the rule is as long as you have a sign up warning people you are recording its fine. a lot of people have a camera that doesn't record ie facing the car park so they can be at the door when they come..
I had no thought on using a recorder. I had only thought of them as "Extra Eyes". Art

I think partly it depends on how obtrusive things are we have a camera over the car park for security and you can't even see it. we have two inside and no one has commented yet. However in the UK cameras are more common and the rule is as long as you have a sign up warning people you are recording its fine. a lot of people have a camera that doesn't record ie facing the car park so they can be at the door when they come..
I had no thought on using a recorder. I had only thought of them as "Extra Eyes". Art
Most people would not know the difference between a camera for video chat and a camera that was recording them.

Hollowwood said:
Zoning will not allow a large sign so the even the name on the mail box cannot say too much.
It's surprising than an Alaska business cannot even identify itself effectively and has to put up with guests not knowing if a driveway leads to the B&B where they're booked. I could picture New England being restrictive. They've been states so long they have laws for everything. Never dreamed "wild Alaska" would be so much more restrictive than Arkansas!

Hollowwood said:
Zoning will not allow a large sign so the even the name on the mail box cannot say too much.
It's surprising than an Alaska business cannot even identify itself effectively and has to put up with guests not knowing if a driveway leads to the B&B where they're booked. I could picture New England being restrictive. They've been states so long they have laws for everything. Never dreamed "wild Alaska" would be so much more restrictive than Arkansas!
There are restrictions for the size of a sign you can put up where I live, but I can have a sign! There are a few others on the forum here who cannot have any signage at all. Most of them are in the midwest. It's a town-by-town ordinance that's hanging them up. Not sure if the laws apply to all businesses in those towns-can't imagine that-no signs on any business? or just the B&B-type business. It may also be because the businesses are in residential areas where permanent business-related signage is not allowed.

Hollowwood said:
In this particular case it has to do with running a B&B in a mixed zone. A sign mounted flat to the building is allowed. In the case of the lot we want, the building would be 400 feet up the drive. You are allowed a B&B with up to 5 rooms with the owner on site. The other restrictions are minimal, so, I can deal with this. I have more homework to do as regards State Regulations. One advantage to locating to P.O.W. is "No Property Tax"! That will help us as we wait for success! Art

Back