Removing cat smell - spray smell?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
distinct 'cat smell' in the room i just helped move an elderly woman to. former occupant (Iong term elder housing) had a cat. i've used dog whisperer pet stain and odor remover but the scent is coming back.
i like cats, but not this odor!
some claim not to notice it, some do. i am going back tomorrow to speak to someone in management but stopping in a few other rooms, there are smells that don't belong there. nice lady ~ she said she'll probably get used to it. maybe the carpet was not cleaned?
will it fade over time with no cat in residence?
any recommendations?

Set out shallow dishes of white vinegar for a couple of days. They will help to absorb the odor. White vinegar can also be used in the laundry to help neutralize odors.

If it's carpet, then you will need to pull it up and replace the pad underneath. Then mix together 1 quart warm water and 1/2 cup white vinegar, and dribble the mixture onto the stain. Place dry towels over the stained area and put something heavy over the towels to increase the pressure. After some hours remove the towels and raise the nap of the carpet with a soft-bristled hairbrush. Test the vinegar solution on a piece of fabric that is hidden from view - under the cushion or on the backside of the furniture.
You will then need to go to a pet store and buy a urine odor neutralizer solution.
I love cats, but this is exactly why we no longer own one.

I had a similar problem... one of my cats had an accident on my white carpeting of all places
cry_smile.gif

Mix about 16 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, to about 4 ounces of antiseptic mouthwash. Don't be shy with it... pour it directly on the problem area making sure to soak it through. Wait about 5 minutes and blot with a towel. Get as much of the liquid up as you can and let the rest air dry. It'll be a bit minty smelling for the next few days but it will also take care of the cat odor :)

If it has soaked through carpeting and down into the padding and floors...you have to rip up the carpet and padding otherwise..it will never go away.

ok, i peeled back a corner of the rug and the pad has the odor and the floor is stained (plywood floor) ... in another age, in an apartment i had, i cut up and discarded the carpet for this reason, painting the floor underneath. if management is not going to replace the carpet, i am putting her on the list for a different room. ugh! just moved in and set up all her things, too. and the whole time i'm saying, is there a cat in here?

A product called "Mis-Fire" sold by the St. Clair Supply Co. in Eaton, Ohio is the best I've ever seen. It is the only thing that that I've ever found that really DOES work - straight down through the carpet and pad and into the plywood below.

Back