Removing smell from foam mattress toppers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 week report - smell still present, foam has 'butt prints' after only 3-4 days of using it, foam is turning brown on the edges and has a crease down the middle.
Will not be buying anymore of these for the guest rooms. Going to get a plastic mattress cover to put over the foam but it will need to be flipped every time the sheets are changed. Will keep it for my bed but definitely would not use in a guest room with all the extra work involved.
Brand is Dream Serenity Fresh Gel from Walmart.
Kinda bummed. I thought this would be an inexpensive way to upgrade one room.
PS - Gomez loves it and doesn't smell a thing. He thinks it's very comfortable. Which it is..
I don't have these problems... but then I didn't buy from Wally World. They are a bit smaller than the mattress, so I have to pull them from time to time, but that's it.
Jon Sable said:
I don't have these problems... but then I didn't buy from Wally World. They are a bit smaller than the mattress, so I have to pull them from time to time, but that's it.
Did you go to Costco?
That doesn't sound right to me. I would bring it back. A new topper should not be brown around the edges and should not need to be turned that often. We have 2 toppers that have been on our firm mattresses for several years and our guests love them! We turn them 2-3 times a year and have never had a problem with the odor. But ours are high-density memory foam. They weigh a ton but have held up great and no smell.
Old post brought out of hiding so someone could advertise.
However, the smell did go away! As I see, it’s been 5 years since I posted that query. I pretty much encased the foam in another mattress pad so its gel cooling properties are wasted.
Duh, I usually look but this time I didn't scroll down far enough to see Joey B's post...that would have given it away.

Back