Removing smell from foam mattress toppers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Gel memory foam topper has been unfolded for 2 days now. It's almost flattened all the way around. However, it still smells chemically.
I know Arks had them inside the waterproof mattress covers but this one is going on my bed and I don't have those covers.
So, any suggestions for getting rid of the smell?
I've got the topper laid out across 2 tables right now so there is more air circulation than when it was flat on the bed. Ceiling fan is running at top speed.
Other ideas?
Because I'm asthmatic, any strong smells set me off. Certainly can't sleep with this smell. I know a lot of the reviews I read mentioned the smell never going away. Do you find this to be true?

Try putting a custard cup with some vanilla in it near the topper. Or sprinkle it with baking soda? That is an "odor eater" also. Or both?

That is a problem with foam stuff. I am the same way. I am not sure I would sprinkle it with baking soda. If you have to take it back they might not accept it. I have just let the thing air out for many days until the odor dissipates. Any way you can put it on a back porch in fresh air for a bit?

That is a problem with foam stuff. I am the same way. I am not sure I would sprinkle it with baking soda. If you have to take it back they might not accept it. I have just let the thing air out for many days until the odor dissipates. Any way you can put it on a back porch in fresh air for a bit?.
I thought about putting it outside. I'll see how it goes on the sun porch with the fan running. If I do use these for guests they'll have to go inside the plastic mattress protectors. Unless the cover that came with it is waterproof. No, doesn't look like it is. But it might contain the smell.

It takes a few days, but it will dissipate..
Jon Sable said:
It takes a few days, but it will dissipate.
Define 'few'. Mostly because if I get these for the guest rooms I need to know how long this process takes. I don't have any space in my apt to air them out.

Ours did dissipate mostly by a week, but I do seem to recall that we put them outside to air out for a few days. That said, I am very sensitive also and bought a memory foam pillow that took over six months to be useable. Put it outside, threw it in the dryer air cycle, put it up in front of a large floor fan for hours. Still stunk. Ugh.

Ours did dissipate mostly by a week, but I do seem to recall that we put them outside to air out for a few days. That said, I am very sensitive also and bought a memory foam pillow that took over six months to be useable. Put it outside, threw it in the dryer air cycle, put it up in front of a large floor fan for hours. Still stunk. Ugh..
Thanks. I'll keep moving it around and running the fan over it. Gomez doesn't smell it at all.

Ours did dissipate mostly by a week, but I do seem to recall that we put them outside to air out for a few days. That said, I am very sensitive also and bought a memory foam pillow that took over six months to be useable. Put it outside, threw it in the dryer air cycle, put it up in front of a large floor fan for hours. Still stunk. Ugh..
Thanks. I'll keep moving it around and running the fan over it. Gomez doesn't smell it at all.
Morticia said:
Gomez doesn't smell it at all.
He probably doesn't smell his cigars, either.

Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Maybe that's why he can't smell the foam.

Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Maybe that's why he can't smell the foam.
That is the same wth my husband although his nose was ruined by carb cleaner and fuels!

Try putting a custard cup with some vanilla in it near the topper. Or sprinkle it with baking soda? That is an "odor eater" also. Or both?.
gillumhouse said:
Try putting a custard cup with some vanilla in it near the topper. Or sprinkle it with baking soda? That is an "odor eater" also. Or both?
I was thinking baking soda also. sprinkle it on let it sit over night, then vacuum it up. worth a try...

A few years back I visited my son's new home and spent first night on a brand new Ikea foam topper; around 1 am I thought my windpipe would swell shut in reaction to the fumes!
"Airing" it out didn't work because the fumes are in the foam cells and don't diffuse to the surface rapidly. Two approaches worked: 1) lay foam out, maybe doubled over, and walk back and forth on it in stocking feet so it compresses, squeezing out the fumes, 2) turn on exhaust fan in a bathroom and prop foam over the door so air is drawn through.Took 2 days of this.

You might try spraying it with some of Joey's magic zyme s

A few years back I visited my son's new home and spent first night on a brand new Ikea foam topper; around 1 am I thought my windpipe would swell shut in reaction to the fumes!
"Airing" it out didn't work because the fumes are in the foam cells and don't diffuse to the surface rapidly. Two approaches worked: 1) lay foam out, maybe doubled over, and walk back and forth on it in stocking feet so it compresses, squeezing out the fumes, 2) turn on exhaust fan in a bathroom and prop foam over the door so air is drawn through.Took 2 days of this..
I like the idea of walking on it. Good one. It's getting better now that I'm flipping it, leaving it in the sun and running the fan.
Will lay it in the floor tomorrow and stomp around.

"Airing" it out didn't work because the fumes are in the foam cells and don't diffuse to the surface rapidly. Two approaches worked: 1) lay foam out, maybe doubled over, and walk back and forth on it in stocking feet so it compresses, squeezing out the fumes, 2) turn on exhaust fan in a bathroom and prop foam over the door so air is drawn through.Took 2 days of this..
I like the idea of walking on it. Good one. It's getting better now that I'm flipping it, leaving it in the sun and running the fan.
Will lay it in the floor tomorrow and stomp around.
Yes! Yes! I forgot that I had to do the stomp and romp upon the stinky pillow! Kinda cathartic!

wondering if the smell is going away. when you lay down on it, you will smell it if it hasn't. i suggest you lie on it before putting it on your bed.
i got a foam mattress. barely noticeable smell and it said not to lie on it for 48 hours so i didn't. no smell.
i hope it works out for you.

Back