Removing smell from foam mattress toppers?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any update on this? I would be leery of a gel foam product if I had sensitivities, what sort of gel foam is it? Literally what is the make up?
Like the underlayment to carpets that many cannot endure made from formaldehyde.

Any update on this? I would be leery of a gel foam product if I had sensitivities, what sort of gel foam is it? Literally what is the make up?
Like the underlayment to carpets that many cannot endure made from formaldehyde..
I have them in every room. No smell stays. It's just when it comes out the first time that it has to sit for a few days in a well ventilated spot. Same with the pillows. They don't have the place to let it sit and get rid of the smell at the factory, so they dump that part of the process on you.

wondering if the smell is going away. when you lay down on it, you will smell it if it hasn't. i suggest you lie on it before putting it on your bed.
i got a foam mattress. barely noticeable smell and it said not to lie on it for 48 hours so i didn't. no smell.
i hope it works out for you..
What really seems to have sped up the process is the sun heating the foam up. And running the ceiling fan. The smell is minimal now.
Might do a little dance on it tomorrow.

Like the underlayment to carpets that many cannot endure made from formaldehyde..
Let me read what the box says...88% polyurethane (not the healthiest product on the planet) and 12% gel. No mention of what the gel is made of. There is also charcoal and green tea.
Given the dire warnings about the flammability, I probably won't buy any for the guest rooms. First I'll check to see what the mattresses are made from. If they're full of foam, too, I guess I'm not adding a problem that doesn't exist.

wondering if the smell is going away. when you lay down on it, you will smell it if it hasn't. i suggest you lie on it before putting it on your bed.
i got a foam mattress. barely noticeable smell and it said not to lie on it for 48 hours so i didn't. no smell.
What really seems to have sped up the process is the sun heating the foam up. And running the ceiling fan. The smell is minimal now.
Morticia said:
Don't tell Gomez why, just start dancing. :)

Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Nothing surprises him any longer.

Hope it is working - the dancing. The irritating smell may be unreacted urethane monomer trapped in the foam cells. Urethane is made from isocyanates -- irritating family of compounds: the Bohpal disaster that killed thousands leaked methyl isocyanate. I would associate that residual with poor production value.

Morticia said:
Make sure it's a tango. :)
I am really leery of foam products. My sense of smell was really impacted by staying at someone's house while they were having foam insulation sprayed in their attic. Also, triggered my environmental asthma and sent me to urgent care with really bad wheezing.

Morticia said:
Make sure it's a tango. :)
I am really leery of foam products. My sense of smell was really impacted by staying at someone's house while they were having foam insulation sprayed in their attic. Also, triggered my environmental asthma and sent me to urgent care with really bad wheezing.
Seriously, the more I read, the less likely it is that I will buy anymore toppers. Then I got to thinking of all the chairs I have in the rooms. They all have foam in them, too. It's everywhere.

No need to sprinkle baking soda or such things, if you are using DreamDNA mattress toppers, they are a little costly but deliver the best performance.

3 week report - smell still present, foam has 'butt prints' after only 3-4 days of using it, foam is turning brown on the edges and has a crease down the middle.
Will not be buying anymore of these for the guest rooms. Going to get a plastic mattress cover to put over the foam but it will need to be flipped every time the sheets are changed. Will keep it for my bed but definitely would not use in a guest room with all the extra work involved.
Brand is Dream Serenity Fresh Gel from Walmart.
Kinda bummed. I thought this would be an inexpensive way to upgrade one room.
PS - Gomez loves it and doesn't smell a thing. He thinks it's very comfortable. Which it is.

3 week report - smell still present, foam has 'butt prints' after only 3-4 days of using it, foam is turning brown on the edges and has a crease down the middle.
Will not be buying anymore of these for the guest rooms. Going to get a plastic mattress cover to put over the foam but it will need to be flipped every time the sheets are changed. Will keep it for my bed but definitely would not use in a guest room with all the extra work involved.
PS - Gomez loves it and doesn't smell a thing. He thinks it's very comfortable. Which it is..
I don't have these problems... but then I didn't buy from Wally World. They are a bit smaller than the mattress, so I have to pull them from time to time, but that's it.

PS - Gomez loves it and doesn't smell a thing. He thinks it's very comfortable. Which it is..
I don't have these problems... but then I didn't buy from Wally World. They are a bit smaller than the mattress, so I have to pull them from time to time, but that's it.
Jon Sable said:
Did you go to Costco?

Jon Sable said:
Did you go to Costco?
Yup. I had the smell for a two days. Came with a cover. As I said, my only hassle is that it's slightly smaller than the mattress, so I have to pull it from time to time... or when I have a worm sleeping in the bed, but then they pull the sheets there way as well. Guests absolutely love it. We tried one originally. And then we bought a firm mattress that was so firm the first people complained! Got the topper, happy as clams.

Jon Sable said:
They are a bit smaller than the mattress, so I have to pull them from time to time, but that's it.
Why is this always the case? I've bought several different toppers and they are all smaller than the standard king bed they are supposed to match.

A few years back I visited my son's new home and spent first night on a brand new Ikea foam topper; around 1 am I thought my windpipe would swell shut in reaction to the fumes!
"Airing" it out didn't work because the fumes are in the foam cells and don't diffuse to the surface rapidly. Two approaches worked: 1) lay foam out, maybe doubled over, and walk back and forth on it in stocking feet so it compresses, squeezing out the fumes, 2) turn on exhaust fan in a bathroom and prop foam over the door so air is drawn through.Took 2 days of this..
I like the idea of walking on it. Good one. It's getting better now that I'm flipping it, leaving it in the sun and running the fan.
Will lay it in the floor tomorrow and stomp around.
I also use the walking method to remove smell on my memory foam mattress topper

I do some upholstery in my spare time and sometimes get this with the upholstery foam sheets I buy. I've taken to buying them earlier than I need them now to allow time for them to air. Just in case.

Jon Sable said:
Did you go to Costco?
That doesn't sound right to me. I would bring it back. A new topper should not be brown around the edges and should not need to be turned that often. We have 2 toppers that have been on our firm mattresses for several years and our guests love them! We turn them 2-3 times a year and have never had a problem with the odor. But ours are high-density memory foam. They weigh a ton but have held up great and no smell.

Jon Sable said:
Did you go to Costco?
That doesn't sound right to me. I would bring it back. A new topper should not be brown around the edges and should not need to be turned that often. We have 2 toppers that have been on our firm mattresses for several years and our guests love them! We turn them 2-3 times a year and have never had a problem with the odor. But ours are high-density memory foam. They weigh a ton but have held up great and no smell.
Old post brought out of hiding so someone could advertise.
However, the smell did go away! As I see, it’s been 5 years since I posted that query. I pretty much encased the foam in another mattress pad so its gel cooling properties are wasted.

Back