Removing urine odor from furniture

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
I have been clearing and cleaning my parents' home ... furnishings are starting to leave with their new owners.
Now I notice that the two really nice mattresses have a slight urine odor, and some of the upholstered chairs. This is distressing mostly because we all want these items to stay with family. It is expensive furniture and sentimentally valued, too. But if they have a sour smell this presents a problem.
I read online that rubbing alcohol can remove odor from mattresses but have not tried it. They are top of the line and only a few years old.
It's not a strong smell ... and not everyone notices it ... but I do. He had mattress pads but sometimes would have an accident and pull them off the bed and leave them off.
Would upholstery foam cleaner work do you think? I recall having an incontinent guest who stayed a week and I don't know if the odor returned to a chair that I had professionally cleaned after his stay.
Thank you for any advice.

Mattresses are tough because they are hard to dry completely because you can't get under the top layer.
I would try the regular alcohol first...only because it will dry completely and rapidly. (really soak it good)
If that didn't take care of it I would try the wintergreen alcohol.
If that didn't work I would try vinegar. Vinegar should kill the source of the odor and will not cause mold to grow in the now damp spot.
If that didn't work I would try Natures Miracle or one of the enzyme treatments for dog accidents. (use this last because it will be hard to get it all out of the mattress to dry it, and may lead to mold.

Mattresses are tough because they are hard to dry completely because you can't get under the top layer.
I would try the regular alcohol first...only because it will dry completely and rapidly. (really soak it good)
If that didn't take care of it I would try the wintergreen alcohol.
If that didn't work I would try vinegar. Vinegar should kill the source of the odor and will not cause mold to grow in the now damp spot.
If that didn't work I would try Natures Miracle or one of the enzyme treatments for dog accidents. (use this last because it will be hard to get it all out of the mattress to dry it, and may lead to mold..
thanks.
i will try the alcohol first. if i look closely at the mattresses, i can see the outline of the offending areas.

There is a product in a spray bottle that I got at an industrial cleaning supply store. I'll have to go dig it out of wherever I left it and give you the name, but it's formlated to use in men's urinals, and on cat pee. Anyone's who has ever battled cat pee on carpet understands just how tough that smell is to get rid of. This stuff does it trick in one application. I have a very keen sense of smell...I can smell someone smoking a cigarette in a car in front of me on the freeway at full speed. When I use this stuff, I cannot smell the urine anymore.
I'll post the name and source when I can...I've been away from the internet...I'm up to my ears in projects (big ones) and chores. On March 1, we moved to a new marina (it's very nice and quiet and in the heart of Coconut Grove - walk to everything!), and are in the process of building a smaller boat to use for a tender. Oh, and we had a sewage spill in the bilge that has kept me too busy to check in, too. Uh....twice. All fixed now. See...I've been overwhelmed with "busy." I'll look for the bottle of "magic" this evening and hopefully have a name of it tomorrow. Cheers!

The product I used for urine oders is called "Mis-Fire" and can be purchased from St. Clair Supply Co. in Eaton, Ohio. I couldn't remember the name of is yesterday, but did recall it had a strange name that would not lead one to understand what the product was. The only thing I can figure is that "Mis-Fire" was some sort of way to say "bad aim." Who knows, but this stuff really works. It's not a deoderant, but uses enzymes to break down or change the chemical make up of the urine.

The product I used for urine oders is called "Mis-Fire" and can be purchased from St. Clair Supply Co. in Eaton, Ohio. I couldn't remember the name of is yesterday, but did recall it had a strange name that would not lead one to understand what the product was. The only thing I can figure is that "Mis-Fire" was some sort of way to say "bad aim." Who knows, but this stuff really works. It's not a deoderant, but uses enzymes to break down or change the chemical make up of the urine..
Thanks! I have that in my notes now. Always good to be prepared just in case....
Riki

Put equal parts warm water and white vinegar in a spray bottle and saturate the offending area...as it dries the vinegar will take the oder with it.

Put equal parts warm water and white vinegar in a spray bottle and saturate the offending area...as it dries the vinegar will take the oder with it..
I am not sure why this thread has reappeared but note the date of the original message.....way long ago.

Put equal parts warm water and white vinegar in a spray bottle and saturate the offending area...as it dries the vinegar will take the oder with it..
I am not sure why this thread has reappeared but note the date of the original message.....way long ago.
Because a spammer dropped a link to buy office furniture. When you flag a message as spam, it bumps back up to the top of the unread list. I flagged it early this morning.

Because a spammer dropped a link to buy office furniture. When you flag a message as spam, it bumps back up to the top of the unread list. I flagged it early this morning.
Wow, you are the spam guardian angel!

Wow, you are the spam guardian angel!
tattered wings

Anti-icky-poo.
Available online at pet supply sites. Enzyme-based, just soak the furniture and it does the rest.
Really, really works.

Anti-icky-poo.
Available online at pet supply sites. Enzyme-based, just soak the furniture and it does the rest.
Really, really works..
That enzyme stuff work wonders. My daughter bought a house that had so many cats no one else would buy it. There were so many it was hard to believe. For that reason they bought it at a cheap price. They thought if they could not get it out of the hardwood floors they would rip them out and replace. Her father in law got them a 5 gal bucket of enzyme stuff. He said they use it in resturant bathrooms. He works for a resturant supply place and he swore it would work. He said to spray it on all the hardwood floors and let it go to work it would keep working unitl the urine smell was gone. Well it made a believer out me. It was the worse smell you have ever smelled. They refinished the floors after and no one would guess how bad it was.

Anti-icky-poo.
Really, really works..
That enzyme stuff work wonders. My daughter bought a house that had so many cats no one else would buy it. There were so many it was hard to believe. For that reason they bought it at a cheap price. They thought if they could not get it out of the hardwood floors they would rip them out and replace. Her father in law got them a 5 gal bucket of enzyme stuff. He said they use it in resturant bathrooms. He works for a resturant supply place and he swore it would work. He said to spray it on all the hardwood floors and let it go to work it would keep working unitl the urine smell was gone. Well it made a believer out me. It was the worse smell you have ever smelled. They refinished the floors after and no one would guess how bad it was.
The only times I've had any trouble with getting the enzyme based odor remover to work have been when someone used bleach on the spot first. Apparently the bleach, while just masking the odor, kills some of the natural cultures that are needed for the enzymes to actually eat the odor.
The folks who make Anti-icky-poo (which is the best one I've ever used) also make a pre-soak, though, that restores the natural cultures to let the enzymes work. So I always try to keep both on hand: the pre-soak and the actual odor removing enzyme stuff.
There are some lower priced versions out there that work, too. Kids-n-Pets works pretty well.
But Anti-icky-poo is, hands down, the best.

Code:
We have Southern textiles linens for all of your bedding needs. From Bed skirts to Comforters and everything in between.
[url=http://www.homeandpatiodecorcenter.com/brands/Southern-Textiles.html]elite southern textiles[/url]

Try frist with alcohol if its dont work than try vinegar..
wash it with warm water and keep it in heat for long time..
It will surely Remove The urine odor....

You can also use lemon and baking soda for furniture that you wanted to clean and it will look new again.

Back