Replacing porch plants over winter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Need some help everyone. I have many porticos on this porch that has hanging plants. Typically ferns, but this year went with all red geraniums that were stunning for a couple weeks and nightmares the rest of the time. Droppng their buds and people sliding on them, staining them, etc. I won't get them next year for sure (hanging variety).
I am about to take to them down soon and wondered WHAT I can do to replace them so we have something there over winter. Something hardy, meaning fake and can take the cold without falling apart.
Any ideas? Any links? Please post them. A fake fern or something? I need quite a few. THANKS EVERYONE

Samster said:
I don't think the ferns would look authentic in your location year in the cooler months. Maybe some fake ivy? Catlady would a good one to answer this!
I think cicadas are eating the begonias in the urns in front of the porch next door. I need replacements but it's still too warm to plant the cooler weather plants.
What to do, what to do....
I have to go get the mums soon. the garden is looking sad.

I don't think the ferns would look authentic in your location in the cooler months. Maybe some fake ivy? Catlady would a good one to answer this!
I think cicadas are eating the begonias in the urns in front of the porch next door. I need replacements but it's still too warm to plant the cooler weather plants.

Samster said:
I don't think the ferns would look authentic in your location year in the cooler months. Maybe some fake ivy? Catlady would a good one to answer this!
I have to go get the mums soon. the garden is looking sad..
There is nothing blooming really here in the garden. I wish that I had planted zinnia seeds and snapdragons. Some of my neighbors have tons of them!!

Samster said:
There is nothing blooming really here in the garden. I wish that I had planted zinnia seeds and snapdragons. Some of my neighbors have tons of them!!
It's been tough here too. During July and August we stay in the triple digit temperatures and we're in a drought (yes even in hurricane season). I know we plan on using mums when it gets a bit cooler.

Samster said:
Samster said:
I have a huge bouquet of those every week. I get them at the CSA I joined. Next year, I plant them myself. After I get the next bouquet, I take last week's best blooms and make table decor. I still have black eyed Susans, echinacea and phlox here.

Hey guys, what about hanging plants tho? Still waiting for some valuable source to solve all my problems...
There is a place in town that has some hanging fake stuff but uses that - what is that stuff, that brown phlax type of basket so it almost looks real.

What about some kind of ivy?
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I am having a totally uncreative time with this, if you can post a pic or link to show an example, I WOULD LOVE THAT.
Issue mainly is the nights will be dropping down, to get these leaves in gear to die, and the plants don't like that. YET Oct is our busiest month, I don't want dead plants hangin' out there and I don't want nothin' hangin' out there.
Once we hit mid Nov it is a moot point since we have very few guests after that, but I would still like something there, if possible.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I am having a totally uncreative time with this, if you can post a pic or link to show an example, I WOULD LOVE THAT.
Issue mainly is the nights will be dropping down, to get these leaves in gear to die, and the plants don't like that. YET Oct is our busiest month, I don't want dead plants hangin' out there and I don't want nothin' hangin' out there.
Once we hit mid Nov it is a moot point since we have very few guests after that, but I would still like something there, if possible.

Samster said:
Mums are all I have, I'm sick of 'em! Have to trim them back this week, they are low maintenance tho'!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Would real ivy survive where you are? We get subzero here and it survives, don't know if it would in a basket tho'....Ivy is a very hardy plant depending on the variety....

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Would real ivy survive where you are? We get subzero here and it survives, don't know if it would in a basket tho'....Ivy is a very hardy plant depending on the variety....
inncogneeto said:
The house next door which was "flipped" and sold had an ivy plague. In fact they just had to chop down a very old tree that was killed off by the stuff from so many years. We never saw the house next door until they died and were buried out back. THen the daughter came in and hired people to cut it back. It is something Dh is not fond of as it climbs into our yard and he battles it constantly. It is like a jungle.
Anything else? Maybe I should go visit a proper nursery? Maybe these guests will be heading out soon too, LOL!

Samster said:
Mums are all I have, I'm sick of 'em! Have to trim them back this week, they are low maintenance tho'!
inncogneeto said:
They're new to your guest though. It costs time and money to change flowers out on a rotating basis. Unless you can afford a gardner, stick with what grows well.

Back