Replacing toilet seat lids

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Sheesh! See how it is - people have no idea. Who would think a toilet seat would be a special order? Well we have two that needs to be replaced and cannot find them at HG or Lowe's so have to special order these stupid things.

get twice the number you need ... trust me! i had a llg (large, loud guest - new one for the glossary) announce at breakfast that
'the
potty-mouth.gif
toilet seat in my room split and my A__ got caught in the crack!'

Yep, people have no idea. Then there are the special toilet seats that match a specific brand and they're almost $30. I never thought I'd say this either, but I prefer the plastic seats to wood ones in the guest bathrooms. Less prone to holding stains and they stand up better to all the cleaning.

get twice the number you need ... trust me! i had a llg (large, loud guest - new one for the glossary) announce at breakfast that
'the
potty-mouth.gif
toilet seat in my room split and my A__ got caught in the crack!'.
seashanty said:
'the
potty-mouth.gif
toilet seat in my room split and my A__ got caught in the crack!'
Yowza!

Yep, people have no idea. Then there are the special toilet seats that match a specific brand and they're almost $30. I never thought I'd say this either, but I prefer the plastic seats to wood ones in the guest bathrooms. Less prone to holding stains and they stand up better to all the cleaning..
Samster said:
Yep, people have no idea. Then there are the special toilet seats that match a specific brand and they're almost $30. I never thought I'd say this either, but I prefer the plastic seats to wood ones in the guest bathrooms. Less prone to holding stains and they stand up better to all the cleaning.
And here we just switched to all painted wood ones! But I do see what you mean about the stains. Even tho we clean the toilets everyday, I notice where the underside of the seats seats are starting to stain. The plastic ones do not hold up well in the sunlight, tho. We had one that was hideous (not in a guest bathroom).

Yep, people have no idea. Then there are the special toilet seats that match a specific brand and they're almost $30. I never thought I'd say this either, but I prefer the plastic seats to wood ones in the guest bathrooms. Less prone to holding stains and they stand up better to all the cleaning..
Samster said:
And here we just switched to all painted wood ones! But I do see what you mean about the stains. Even tho we clean the toilets everyday, I notice where the underside of the seats seats are starting to stain. The plastic ones do not hold up well in the sunlight, tho. We had one that was hideous (not in a guest bathroom).
we still have the original fixtures in 2 of our guest rooms...45 years old and still in wonderful shape.
They don't make them like they used to:-(
Unfortunately, when it comes time to replace seats we won't be able to find anything that will work so will probably have to replace toilets. But on the good side..since no one is using them now...they should last until we sell this place some day:)

Go back to that hole in the floor with footprints to the right and left of the holes??

Go back to that hole in the floor with footprints to the right and left of the holes??.
agoodman1963 said:
Go back to that hole in the floor with footprints to the right and left of the holes??
how about this news item
That is so funny, when I lived in France they always said that if you pulled on the roll and put the beginning of the roll in the toilet and then flushed it (on the TGV high speed train) then you could just watch the whole role being sucked down!! This does not surprise me at all. God bless the French, I lived there for 5 years and loved it, but they say Americans are stupid?? hee hee

Samster said:
I guess ours are doing OK because we don't have any outside bathrooms. hahaha! j/k....

Our toilet seats... are all one piece :s Who thought of that design?? They are the only ones that fit properly on the toilet. We will be sunk if they decide to discontinue that design. Over $30.00 US dollars per set.
We have had to replace 3 sets (seat and lid) from our LGs. Do they dance and twist on the toilets?

Our toilet seats... are all one piece :s Who thought of that design?? They are the only ones that fit properly on the toilet. We will be sunk if they decide to discontinue that design. Over $30.00 US dollars per set.
We have had to replace 3 sets (seat and lid) from our LGs. Do they dance and twist on the toilets?.
Cathy said:
We have had to replace 3 sets (seat and lid) from our LGs. Do they dance and twist on the toilets?
Are they plastic?

We have had to replace 3 sets (seat and lid) from our LGs. Do they dance and twist on the toilets?.
Cathy said:
Are they plastic?
They are plastic and they have weak plastic bolts. They lid is curved down so that it envelopes the seat. If you let the lid drop, it does not slam, instead it gently lets itself down. They look very nice for a toilet seat and lid. Would never have bought them if we had known that they were "delicate" and not made for the LG (not all of our guests are loud).

Cathy said:
Are they plastic?
They are plastic and they have weak plastic bolts. They lid is curved down so that it envelopes the seat. If you let the lid drop, it does not slam, instead it gently lets itself down. They look very nice for a toilet seat and lid. Would never have bought them if we had known that they were "delicate" and not made for the LG (not all of our guests are loud).
Cathy said:
This is a guess based on why we went to all wood seats...guests sit on the CLOSED lid and it gives a little or a lot depending on the size of the guest! Or they sit down to put on shoes and slue around to grab the other shoe. Constant wiggling around.
We've talked about this before because I know JBJ is shocked that I dress in the bathroom. Which means I sit on the closed toilet lid to get dressed. When I'm in a hotel and the seats are plastic they always slue around this way and that when I'm trying to get dressed. I'm not huge, but I'm not petite either. I hate that the lids flex and snap and everything shifts, so, making the assumption that I cannot be the only person in the world who dresses in the bathroom, we switched out to wooden seats so guests are not faced with the problem I hate.
Just the idea that the ones you have have plastic bolts is probably a large part of the problem.

Cathy said:
Are they plastic?
Cathy said:
This is a guess based on why we went to all wood seats...guests sit on the CLOSED lid and it gives a little or a lot depending on the size of the guest! Or they sit down to put on shoes and slue around to grab the other shoe. Constant wiggling around.
We've talked about this before because I know JBJ is shocked that I dress in the bathroom. Which means I sit on the closed toilet lid to get dressed. When I'm in a hotel and the seats are plastic they always slue around this way and that when I'm trying to get dressed. I'm not huge, but I'm not petite either. I hate that the lids flex and snap and everything shifts, so, making the assumption that I cannot be the only person in the world who dresses in the bathroom, we switched out to wooden seats so guests are not faced with the problem I hate.
Just the idea that the ones you have have plastic bolts is probably a large part of the problem.
Bree said:
Cathy said:
WHAT? You are too petite!!!

Back