Request to see Guest Room for future visit

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1818 SHH

Reaction score
Hello all-- This is my first time asking a question on this forum after almost 1 year of "lurking" and learning ! What a wealth of information from such knowledgeable folk ! I am now stumped and at loss about how to handle a phone call I received this AM and hope someone could possibily give me a suggestion.
As I am bidding farewell to last night's guests, my phone rings and a very curt and formal speaking lady asked if she could make an appointment to look at our guest rooms for her mother. I live in a very small village (and have my entire 55 years) and for some reason, this voice sounded familiar. My "caller ID" verified the call was coming from a local Real Estate office (not one I would EVER use if I were to sell anything).
I politely asked what she had in mind for a day and time. Answer- Today at 1PM. I explained to her, my last guests had just departed and I am expecting a full house by 3PM, therefore today would be difficult. To sum it up- we both agreed to Thursday 11AM . I then asked for her name and phone number (in case an unexpected influx of guests booked at the last moment for that day). Answer - Angie. "And your last name, Angie?" Answer-"just Angie" I responded- "I am sorry Angie, but for the safety of my home, person, and guests, I must know who will be entering my house." She reluctantly gave me her last name and her cell phone number. After hanging up- I realized I know this woman (not on a personal basis but as a customer of hers when she worked at a local dress store). I remember her so vividly because this woman was an absolute witch whenever I was in the store (not only to me but to everyone) . I would avoid her checkout line because she scared the tar out of me ! And to top it off- I KNOW for a fact that her 90 year old mother died 2 months ago !
Now- I know this "Angie" is not coming to inspect rooms for her mother and that she must be up to something. She is now in real estate- is she just nosey ? I do know- regardless why she is coming- she started off with a lie and I do not trust her nor want her in my home. I plan to call her back and cancel her "inspection" appointment, but I want to be prepared for an "inquisition". What to do?????

Welcome to the FRONT SIDE OF THE FORUM 1818!
welcome.gif

and you start off with a good one right away!
If you have a bad vibe, just call her and tell her you have guests in and the rooms will not be available, sorry. "Is there a specific question I can answer for you?"
Sounds like a sticky beak. Maybe someone said something and she just can't help herself and wants to check it out. If she is a realtor, then ask her right up front, is this a real estate visit?
Edited to add - YOU DAWG! Your "assistant" is from NEAR ME! I am in Rocky Mount VA. I am in ROA at least once a week. Email me off forum when you get a chance. :)

Tell your son I said "thank you" for his service
welcome.gif
to the forum, front-side!

In spite of the history, why not treat her like a bona fide guest? Her 'inspection' of your business, and just the business, not your home, may lead to a reservation in the future.
Cancelling gives her the upper hand. She can then say anything she wants, 'She wouldn't let me in, there must be something going on there.'
Your turf, your rules. Lock doors to rooms she cannot enter. She has no need to see the kitchen or your space. She can view guest rooms that are not rented (you decide how many that might be) and guest common areas. When she arrives, set the limits, 'I can give you 10 minutes and a brochure.'
Yes, we all know people are nosy as the day is long. This is her way of getting in the door. So what.

Welcome!
welcome.gif
While it is possible she may be speaking about a mother-in-law?, it does sound as if she is not being truthful with what she wants. I think JB is right, you have guests and the rooms are not available for view. You don't need to explain further.
Do you have a website you could refer her to and ask if she has any questions about it? Just be sooo gracious and sooo sorry you will not be able to accomodate her private tour. If you feel you need to, you could always toss in, Oh, aren't you the Angie from the dress shop? I thought they always had the nicest things there. Oh, did I misunderstand? I thought your mother passed a couple of months back? Keep the upper hand, don't get defensive.

I am so into trusting your inn-tuition and gut inn-stinct. This caller was already NOT FORTHCOMING. I ask Why?
I then asked for her name and phone number (in case an unexpected influx of guests booked at the last moment for that day). Answer - Angie. "And your last name, Angie?" Answer-"just Angie"

Welcome!
welcome.gif
While it is possible she may be speaking about a mother-in-law?, it does sound as if she is not being truthful with what she wants. I think JB is right, you have guests and the rooms are not available for view. You don't need to explain further.
Do you have a website you could refer her to and ask if she has any questions about it? Just be sooo gracious and sooo sorry you will not be able to accomodate her private tour. If you feel you need to, you could always toss in, Oh, aren't you the Angie from the dress shop? I thought they always had the nicest things there. Oh, did I misunderstand? I thought your mother passed a couple of months back? Keep the upper hand, don't get defensive..
Eventually, if the woman is bold as brass, SHH is going to have to come out and tell her she is not allowed in the building. How else do you handle repeated requests to see the property?
SHH can ask if it's a 'real esate visit' and if the woman keeps insisting it's for family? Better to get it over with.

I would go one of two ways I myself have a hide like a rhino (I used to work for the UK equivalent of the IRS so once you have done time there being shouted all all day long nothing phases you)
1 - have her in but as said above lock anything you don't want her to see. If you think you can trip her up ie " oh now you've come I can see why your voice sounded familir on the phone you mrs x! and don't you work in realestate now? and I must have been confused is the stay for your mother in law because I heard about the sad news of your mother passing?" not to be all said at once just filtered into conversation.
2. If you really can't stand her have a sudden influx of guests and maintain call screening from then on.
Plus this woman is obviously a moron cos if she is that distinctive and it is only a small town when she comes there is no chance you would not recognise her is there? My town is a decent size and you know what they say here? " you can't poop in the accomodation industry in HGT without everyone knowing what colour it is" (not to be vulgar)
Think I would enjoy (if you have seen bridget jones you will know what i mean by this) jellyfishing her by that I mean just dropping little stings onto her that you know what she is about. Plus would you want any relation of hers staying? Maybe she is being fumigated?

I would go one of two ways I myself have a hide like a rhino (I used to work for the UK equivalent of the IRS so once you have done time there being shouted all all day long nothing phases you)
1 - have her in but as said above lock anything you don't want her to see. If you think you can trip her up ie " oh now you've come I can see why your voice sounded familir on the phone you mrs x! and don't you work in realestate now? and I must have been confused is the stay for your mother in law because I heard about the sad news of your mother passing?" not to be all said at once just filtered into conversation.
2. If you really can't stand her have a sudden influx of guests and maintain call screening from then on.
Plus this woman is obviously a moron cos if she is that distinctive and it is only a small town when she comes there is no chance you would not recognise her is there? My town is a decent size and you know what they say here? " you can't poop in the accomodation industry in HGT without everyone knowing what colour it is" (not to be vulgar)
Think I would enjoy (if you have seen bridget jones you will know what i mean by this) jellyfishing her by that I mean just dropping little stings onto her that you know what she is about. Plus would you want any relation of hers staying? Maybe she is being fumigated?.
Maybe she is being fumigated?
I can usually figure out your "camber-isms" by context, but this one befuddles me... :)

Think I would enjoy (if you have seen bridget jones you will know what i mean by this) jellyfishing her by that I mean just dropping little stings onto her that you know what she is about. Plus would you want any relation of hers staying? Maybe she is being fumigated?.
I can usually figure out your "camber-isms" by context, but this one befuddles me... :)
Penelope said:
Maybe Angie's house is going to be fumigated, and she needs a place to be for a while.
Of course, with a toxic personality, maybe Angie needs to be fumigated.

Sure, show here around in 10 minutes, lock everything you don't want her to see. IMHO, you have little to loose and she may continue to bother you to try to find another way to get entrance. Beware, if you are in a small town you may want to hide your identity and go anonymous - other townfolks may lurke as well....

Hey welcome! Don't panic. Keep the appointment. she wants to see a room...that is all she can see! She doesn't need to see your kitchen or any place else you don't want her to be. Keep all the doors closed and locked. Explain you have guests in the other rooms and you guarantee their privacy. Then tell her you have another appointment and have to leave in 10 minutes. :)

This is why I just love this website and forum - I've been frettin about this all day- wasting precious time when I have rooms to change and toilets to clean . Y'all have helped me immensely ! I really did KNOW what to do- I just did not know how to word it and address it head-on. Reading through your suggestions makes me smile and now I will call this lying witch and kindly lie right back! Tell her ALL my rooms are booked and ask if I can answer any questions she may have over the phone - direct her to my website.
Today I had the greatest couple staying with me- HE is ( a fine Lt. Col. ) in the 10th Mountain Divison - home on R and R from Afghanistan - a surprise from his wife. My Military Folk are wonderful- my local yocals are time wasters. I refuse to fall victim to a Bully. I do not need her business-Not to be hubris, but I do just fine without cowing to "inspections" from nosey people who have nothing better to do with their time. BTW- her mother in law is dead too. And- if her mother was alive, how cruel to make a 90 year old woman climb stairs to the Guest Rooms ( as clearly indicated on my web site).
Once again, Friends- thank you ! I needed your comments and suggestions to get me in line.

This is why I just love this website and forum - I've been frettin about this all day- wasting precious time when I have rooms to change and toilets to clean . Y'all have helped me immensely ! I really did KNOW what to do- I just did not know how to word it and address it head-on. Reading through your suggestions makes me smile and now I will call this lying witch and kindly lie right back! Tell her ALL my rooms are booked and ask if I can answer any questions she may have over the phone - direct her to my website.
Today I had the greatest couple staying with me- HE is ( a fine Lt. Col. ) in the 10th Mountain Divison - home on R and R from Afghanistan - a surprise from his wife. My Military Folk are wonderful- my local yocals are time wasters. I refuse to fall victim to a Bully. I do not need her business-Not to be hubris, but I do just fine without cowing to "inspections" from nosey people who have nothing better to do with their time. BTW- her mother in law is dead too. And- if her mother was alive, how cruel to make a 90 year old woman climb stairs to the Guest Rooms ( as clearly indicated on my web site).
Once again, Friends- thank you ! I needed your comments and suggestions to get me in line..
my local yocals are time wasters
Do not be so quick to dismiss the yocal locals. If your town is like mine, many of the young left (and now are not so young visiting Ma or other relatives or coming for funerals/reunions) and when they return either Ma is dead or too old to be bothered with the extra effort of company OR as with some i had, staying elsewhere gives the an out to visit friends and not hurt Ma's feelingd (and not be tied to her schedule). I held several open houses with a $1 donation at the door for the local food bank - that satisfied most of the wanna see it lookie-loos. For those who missed that opportunity, when I get told "I want to come see it" I respond, call first because as you know I am sooo involved with the City that I am often not home. Very few of those calls have ever been placed.

I absolutely refuse anyone who shows up at the door for a look. I've done it once or twice and every time I do I regret it more than the last.
That being said, one of our favourite guests is the daughter of someone who lives in town and called and asked to see the rooms for her mother. And yes, the daughter is a real estate agent.
We have had a few people who have asked to see the B&B for relatives. As long as they call and arrange, that's fine. They get to see the B&B... but only the public areas that I want to show them. Not occupied guests rooms and certainly not the private areas.
As for the tall tale. Just say something like, my condolences on the passing of your mother. And she knows that the cat is out of the bag. Don't worry, she will get the message that she was caught in a lie. People lie for many reasons and sometimes it's just simply to avoid long explanations.

I absolutely refuse anyone who shows up at the door for a look. I've done it once or twice and every time I do I regret it more than the last.
That being said, one of our favourite guests is the daughter of someone who lives in town and called and asked to see the rooms for her mother. And yes, the daughter is a real estate agent.
We have had a few people who have asked to see the B&B for relatives. As long as they call and arrange, that's fine. They get to see the B&B... but only the public areas that I want to show them. Not occupied guests rooms and certainly not the private areas.
As for the tall tale. Just say something like, my condolences on the passing of your mother. And she knows that the cat is out of the bag. Don't worry, she will get the message that she was caught in a lie. People lie for many reasons and sometimes it's just simply to avoid long explanations..
Reminds me of the old biddies who wanted to INSPECT before recommending this inn to their relatives, and opened ever closet door and peered inside. What are you looking for? Sheesh people, get real. A total waste of my time.

As for the tall tale. Just say something like, my condolences on the passing of your mother. And she knows that the cat is out of the bag. Don't worry, she will get the message that she was caught in a lie. People lie for many reasons and sometimes it's just simply to avoid long explanations..
It's all perspective and location. If I'm here and the house is in decent shape, come on in. I have shown the building dozens of times to people who are just in town in the planning stages of a wedding. Do they book? Some do, some don't but they've all had the chance to make an informed decision on whether or not their guests will be happy here. I'd rather they looked around, decided we're not what they want than have them reserve the whole place and hate it for a weekend.
No one thinks to call ahead because they didn't even know we were here until they got to town. They found all of the hotels and in driving around to see if those are close enough to the event location they see us. They stop, they explain, I let them in. If it's afternoon, they might just get cookies, too. If not, they can have tea while they look.
NONE of this takes more than 20 minutes of my time and has made me thousands of dollars.
If nothing else, I have made this TOWN seem like a good place to have their escape wedding.
We've had a bunch of open houses, too. The nosy parkers all show up for those. I get more than I give. I get the history of the house, and inside look at the people who lived here, how they were liked or not. What I give is a little bit of someone's past back to them and a couple of biscuits.
Of course it takes a lot out of me in the middle of July to do a house tour, but most lookie lous come now when it's quiet.
I need to explain, also, that a LOT of my business is walk-in so I must do this. This is a walk-in town. People get here with the idea they are going to stop for a couple of hours on the way to somewhere else and then they decide to stay.

It's all perspective and location. If I'm here and the house is in decent shape, come on in. I have shown the building dozens of times to people who are just in town in the planning stages of a wedding. Do they book? Some do, some don't but they've all had the chance to make an informed decision on whether or not their guests will be happy here. I'd rather they looked around, decided we're not what they want than have them reserve the whole place and hate it for a weekend.
No one thinks to call ahead because they didn't even know we were here until they got to town. They found all of the hotels and in driving around to see if those are close enough to the event location they see us. They stop, they explain, I let them in. If it's afternoon, they might just get cookies, too. If not, they can have tea while they look.
NONE of this takes more than 20 minutes of my time and has made me thousands of dollars.
If nothing else, I have made this TOWN seem like a good place to have their escape wedding.
We've had a bunch of open houses, too. The nosy parkers all show up for those. I get more than I give. I get the history of the house, and inside look at the people who lived here, how they were liked or not. What I give is a little bit of someone's past back to them and a couple of biscuits.
Of course it takes a lot out of me in the middle of July to do a house tour, but most lookie lous come now when it's quiet.
I need to explain, also, that a LOT of my business is walk-in so I must do this. This is a walk-in town. People get here with the idea they are going to stop for a couple of hours on the way to somewhere else and then they decide to stay.
I live in the inner city... I refuse almost all walk-up business. In the summer I sometimes will call other B&Bs to find people a place if the person on my doorstep impress me. But for the most part, I'm booked for the summer. I'm over three-quarters booked for May already... I'm trying to fill holes, but walk-ups are generally too late. But I do pass them on to other B&Bs.
At least once every summer someone will come to the door with a GC from a 3rd party that I accept and ask me if I accept them. Yes, I do. Do you have a room available? Nope.
How do you handle walk-up business? What kind of information do you take from them? (When I have taken walk-up business, they have to provide a passport of government issued ID at a minimum.) Must they pay by CC or do you accept cash?

I live in the inner city... I refuse almost all walk-up business. In the summer I sometimes will call other B&Bs to find people a place if the person on my doorstep impress me. But for the most part, I'm booked for the summer. I'm over three-quarters booked for May already... I'm trying to fill holes, but walk-ups are generally too late. But I do pass them on to other B&Bs.
At least once every summer someone will come to the door with a GC from a 3rd party that I accept and ask me if I accept them. Yes, I do. Do you have a room available? Nope.
How do you handle walk-up business? What kind of information do you take from them? (When I have taken walk-up business, they have to provide a passport of government issued ID at a minimum.) Must they pay by CC or do you accept cash?
Actual "walk-up" is almost non-exisient here because I am 6+ miles off the Interstate. the few times it has been knock on the door, I am usually unready and tell them they have to come back after 4 (or go to dinner and come back so I can be ready). No, I am NOT ready at all times because most of my "walk-ins" are calling from the highway and that gives me time.
We do not need passports or ID cards other than those that say Visa or Mastercard. That is all the ID I require. I rarely turn down a potential guest. I need to hear that lovely sound - ka-ching!
I had to write a love peom as a junbior in high school. I got an A++ on it. It begins.....
Talk about hair, talk about eyes
Talk about girls, talk about guys.
This is that love that really lingers
The feel of greenbacks through my fingers.

Once again, Friends- thank you ! I needed your comments and suggestions to get me in line..
If you know that is to be the case you could say I don't think it is worth viewing as we only have upstairs room and I don't think it would be suitable for your elderly mother (ie age stab) so I wouldn't want to waste your time viewing. Or I had heard you mother has died so wont be comming lol

Back