Requests for King size vs Queen size Beds

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
My place is a small Inn with only Queensize beds. When I opened 12 years ago, this was the norm and never an issue.
In the past couple of years I have noticed a dramatic increase in requests for Kingsized beds. Has anyone else noticed this trend and if yes, have you upgraded to King beds?

We had a mix of doubles and queens only 5 years ago. I got tired of guests sneering at queen size beds and also tired of sending them to another B&B, so we upgraded the only room we can fit a king bed into, and a tight squeeze it is!
Then upgraded the doubles to queens. And occupancy in those rooms went up immediately.
I notice it less now than I used to but I still get a fair number of guests unhappy that we don't have more king beds. They will take a room with TWO beds, tho, so it works out sometimes.
(Doing the happy dance here because I'M getting a queen bed in a couple of months!)

yes, and there is nothing wrong with wanting a king. people have their reasons. queen beds with tight footboards are more of an issue, imo.
  • people snore
  • people kick
  • people breath in your face with their stinky nighttime breath
  • people are attached to machines for sleep apnea
  • people get up often due to too many diuretics or have old-age bladders or prostate issues
  • people are tall
  • people are overweight
  • people have nightsweats
  • people like their space

yes, and there is nothing wrong with wanting a king. people have their reasons. queen beds with tight footboards are more of an issue, imo.
  • people snore
  • people kick
  • people get up often due to too many diuretics or have old-age bladders or prostate issues
  • people are tall
  • people are overweight
Joey Bloggs said:
  • people snore
  • people kick
  • people are tall
  • people are overweight
Are you all Kings or a mix?

• people snore
  • people kick
  • people are tall
  • people are overweight
You know those people who breathe on you all night? In a king bed, they squish right over onto your side and do the same thing! And those people who snore? The other person can still reach me to poke me and tell me to stop snoring! And stick his cold feet on me! You'd think I could sweat in peace! No, he's 'lonesome' way over on the other side of the world in a king bed!
wink_smile.gif

But, given a choice, we get a king bed everytime when we travel. It's like being little kids getting to sleep in the 'big' bed!

Mix.
But one queen has a low footboard a foot off the end of the bed, so tall people can handle that, and one queen has a super tight footboard and I picture anyone over 6' in a fetal position and traction.
I would have all kings or two queens per room if I had the choice. For myself - my own life, I would book a room with two queens over 1 king. Not sayin' that ANYONE HAS A SNORING PROBLEM THAT SNORTS AT 4AM IN THE MORNING IN MY FACE or anything...
embaressed_smile.gif

• people snore
  • people kick
  • people are tall
  • people are overweight
You know those people who breathe on you all night? In a king bed, they squish right over onto your side and do the same thing! And those people who snore? The other person can still reach me to poke me and tell me to stop snoring! And stick his cold feet on me! You'd think I could sweat in peace! No, he's 'lonesome' way over on the other side of the world in a king bed!
wink_smile.gif

But, given a choice, we get a king bed everytime when we travel. It's like being little kids getting to sleep in the 'big' bed!
Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif

Not if you stuff a pillow in their face.

• people snore
  • people kick
  • people are tall
  • people are overweight
wink_smile.gif

Morticia said:
wink_smile.gif

Not if you stuff a pillow in their face.
Now that's a tactic I haven't tried!

• people snore
  • people kick
  • people are tall
  • people are overweight
Haha! You crack me up! But you are soooooooooooooooo right. :)
Some people have everything on that list!

The New Alphabet for Seniors[/center]

A's for arthritis;
B's the bad back,
C's the chest pains,
perhaps car-d-iac?
D is for dental decay and decline,
E is for eyesight, can't read that top line!
F is for fissures and fluid retention,
G is for gas which I'd rather not mention.
H is high blood pressure--I'd rather it low;
I is for incisions with scars you can show.
J is for joints, out of socket, won't mend,
K is for knees that crack when they bend.
L is for libido, what happened to sex?
M is for memory, I forget what comes next.
N is neuralgia, in nerves way down low;
O is for osteo, the bones that don't grow!
P is for prescriptions, I have quite a few,
just give me a pill and I'll be good as new!
Q is for queasy, is it fatal or flu?
R is for reflux, one meal turns to two.
S is for sleepless nights, counting my fears,
T is for Tinnitus; there's bells in my ears!
U is for urinary; big troubles with flow;
V is for vertigo, that's "dizzy," you know.
W is for worry, NOW what's going 'round?
X is for X ray, and what might be found.
Y is another year I'm left here behind,
Z is for zest that I still have-- in my mind.
I've survived all the symptoms,
my body's deployed,
And I am keeping twenty-six doctors
fully employed!!!

We are small (and new, remember). 4 rooms, 3 kingsize (the fourth room is two twins).
After reading here & other places (mostly books), we went only with kings. Our rooms are quite large, so that's not an issue. I can't say that we are gettin gmore business with kings since we started with them, but no one has asked if we have a queen size available instead.

We are small (and new, remember). 4 rooms, 3 kingsize (the fourth room is two twins).
After reading here & other places (mostly books), we went only with kings. Our rooms are quite large, so that's not an issue. I can't say that we are gettin gmore business with kings since we started with them, but no one has asked if we have a queen size available instead..
You are very wise.....

people asked me for 'nothing smaller than a queen,' and often wanted kings ... taking queens as a poor second. and if i couldn't offer a queen, they wouldn't stay with me.
sad_smile.gif

if you can fit kings in the rooms, and are buying new beds, i'd get them. it costs more for bed linens but for me it made for more bookings when i was able to offer bigger beds.
but i don't like king size pillows and never had a use for king size pillow cases so had to cut them down. no matter how big a bed i'm sleeping in, i don't want a giant pillow.

• people snore
  • people kick
  • people are tall
  • people are overweight
you win the most humerous innkeeper contest of the day JB!

We started with 6 queen and 6 king beds. We now have 11 kings and one queen. I was surprised how many people would not book when we were out of kings. Put a king wherever they fit.

We started with 6 queen and 6 king beds. We now have 11 kings and one queen. I was surprised how many people would not book when we were out of kings. Put a king wherever they fit..
YES ! Kings....opened in 2002 with kings only.Never regreted it but I only have 3 rooms in 2 suites....Mary in Bridgewater

The New Alphabet for Seniors[/center]

A's for arthritis;
B's the bad back,
C's the chest pains,
perhaps car-d-iac?
D is for dental decay and decline,
E is for eyesight, can't read that top line!
F is for fissures and fluid retention,
G is for gas which I'd rather not mention.
H is high blood pressure--I'd rather it low;
I is for incisions with scars you can show.
J is for joints, out of socket, won't mend,
K is for knees that crack when they bend.
L is for libido, what happened to sex?
M is for memory, I forget what comes next.
N is neuralgia, in nerves way down low;
O is for osteo, the bones that don't grow!
P is for prescriptions, I have quite a few,
just give me a pill and I'll be good as new!
Q is for queasy, is it fatal or flu?
R is for reflux, one meal turns to two.
S is for sleepless nights, counting my fears,
T is for Tinnitus; there's bells in my ears!
U is for urinary; big troubles with flow;
V is for vertigo, that's "dizzy," you know.
W is for worry, NOW what's going 'round?
X is for X ray, and what might be found.
Y is another year I'm left here behind,
Z is for zest that I still have-- in my mind.
I've survived all the symptoms,
my body's deployed,
And I am keeping twenty-six doctors
fully employed!!!
The New Alphabet for Seniors
Oh my... you've got me...heading in that direction! :-(

Back