required field in ResKey question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
Kind of a can of worms. I haven't updated ResKey in many years. This morning I got a reservation from someone who didn't fill in an address. Instead - in the address field he wrote that he is tax exempt and not to include tax in the charge. That doesn't fly in my state, so I left a phone message and email to that effect, and so far: no response.

Later I googled the supplied phone number, which is linked to explicit sites. So this is a booking I'm fairly certain I don't want. But since ResKey automatically sends out confirmations, this is an awkward thing.

Anyway all that was background to the question about what I need to do, which is to make email, phone and address including zip required fields without which a reservation cannot be completed.

Have any of you tackled this?

Followup. I have spoken to the guest who has supplied the address and proof he is in one of the few tax exempt categories in my state. So all good for now, but still need to update ResKey for future bookings.

They are required fields on mine - BUT I have had incomplete and gibberish entered in the fields. It accepts as long as SOMETHING is entered.

Anyway all that was background to the question about what I need to do, which is to make email, phone and address including zip required fields without which a reservation cannot be completed.
As Gillum mentioned, you can, using the checkboxes, make it require info. Website Tab/Reservation Pages/(your reservation page)/Presentation
...but it can't verify that the info is real or accurate.

Later I googled the supplied phone number, which is linked to explicit sites. So this is a booking I'm fairly certain I don't want.
I would have zero problem with letting this guest know the reservation is cancelled, and if they'd like, they can try again, making sure they enter valid email, phone and address with zip. It sounds like a bot to me. I'd definitely cancel that reservation and tell them to try again. The "explicit sites" thing guarantees you should cancel it, whether ResKey sent a confirmation or not!

Followup. I have spoken to the guest who has supplied the address and proof he is in one of the few tax exempt categories in my state. So all good for now, but still need to update ResKey for future bookings.
In RK, Click Website Tab>Reservation Page>>Presentation You will see a list of Fields for the Reservation Form and then Check the Boxes to make them Required. You can also edit any Field to be Titled as you wish.

I think it’s interesting that this is one of the only tax exempt categories in your state. 😉

To fix the problem...

Go to "Website" then "Reservation Pages" and then click on the chevron on the left side of the named reservation page. On the next page click on Presentation. This will give you the page where you set what you want, so check what to Show and what to Require. I suggest you set up the "Notes/Special Requests" as show by not require... that's where he should have put in the information. My Required Field Colour is set as FF6600 which is an orange. Instead of the second First Name/Last Name, I have it as "Other Guest First Name" and "Other Guest Last Name".

My Check-in Time is a dropdown as... "Check-In Time dropdown:Early $25#3:00PM Self Check-in" which gives them the choice of Early for $25 or 3PM Self-Check-in... and that's all the choices they have.

There are three possibilities to get them to give you the needed address information.

1. Convert their reservation from a reservation to a request. Go to where it say "More" and then choose "Links". Then choose the URL for booking. The LINK that it provides isn't great with Gmail. So what I suggest is that you copy it, and then go to a URL shortener like ShortURL - URL Shortener and paste it in there and get a short URL that you can paste into email.

2. Simply ask them to input the CC information with address as needed by your processor. In there you will see one for "payment (deposit)". That collects the address information as well as asking for a CC on file. So, he will need to fill in the address information. You can copy and paste the address from his CC information into your system. As before, paste it into the shortener and paste that link for him to click.

3. Ask them to create a new reservation for a fictional date, so that you can get their address information in your system. When they do that, merge the duplicate records then go in and delete the new reservation and you will be left with just the old reservation on their file, but it should have merged the addresses for you. (SHOULD... this is the least guaranteed of the methods)

On, and on your confirmation email add the following clause:

"We reserve the right to modify your reservation for an equivalent or better room at our discretion. We reserve the right to cancel a reservation or refuse service for any reason. "

Back