Requiring guests take certain rooms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
How would you phrase requiring guests with babies to take certain rooms? They all tell me the baby sleeps thru the night. What they forget is that the baby wakes up crying at 5 AM.
Do not tell me how you don't take children/won't take children/this is the reason you don't take children. I am required by law to take children.
Please tell me how you would phrase to parents that they MUST take these certain rooms away from other guests.

Interesting you mention this, I formally APPROVED a single female 10 yr old and they chose the smallest room with ZERO room for a child of every room we have. You cannot see the TV as the bed has a high footboard (for a kid). I just got the rez I am going to email and suggest a nother room. I recommended the room is much more suitable. It has a desk, more space, chairs to sit on - this one they booked is our most romantic. I guess when they asked I figured they would pick one of the bigger rooms. They didn't of course...

I would find a way to indicate the rooms as "child friendly" or rooms "set up to accommodate children"..something like that. I'd put this in the description and if possible in the booking description. Then if they book the wrong room I would email them that the room is "not set up to accommodate children" and suggest one of the others. Just say it's your policy that those rooms are set up properly for family/children.
I would not explain any further than that as I have found that every time I try and explain any of my policies they always turn it into a fight about something.
RIki

I would just designate the room/s you want for families-do it in a "friendly"-if there is one that these rooms are designated for families with small children, you know that their Jonnie or Bonnie are just "perfect angels" but thats not always the case concerning other guests-
Good luck, put it on your website too-picture of the rooms and below "perfect for kids.." type of thing. by law you are required to accept kids, but that does not mean that they can sleep in any room. what a stupid law.

The "XYZ Room" is appropriate for children under 8 (or whatever age you choose).
Here's a question I've wondered about and never got a good answer. When required by law to take children, does that mean every room? Or can certain rooms be designated as adults only?
We state "Children are appropriate in the Cottage only"

I would just designate the room/s you want for families-do it in a "friendly"-if there is one that these rooms are designated for families with small children, you know that their Jonnie or Bonnie are just "perfect angels" but thats not always the case concerning other guests-
Good luck, put it on your website too-picture of the rooms and below "perfect for kids.." type of thing. by law you are required to accept kids, but that does not mean that they can sleep in any room. what a stupid law..
Good luck, put it on your website too-picture of the rooms and below "perfect for kids.." type of thing. by law you are required to accept kids, but that does not mean that they can sleep in any room. what a stupid law.
Actually although inconvenient, I would not call it a stupid law. Think about when you were traveling with your kids. There were too many places that said no kids - what are parents to do? Going from home to Grandma's house cannot be done in a one day drive. It is just another entry in all the things that cannot be discriminated against. It may be an off-shoot of the frustration of people looking for an apartment or house to rent and being told NO because they had kids. But, as mentioned already, you do not have to take kids in EVERY room. Occupancy restrictions of a room trumps.
Hehe, in WV, the Legislature has exempted B & Bs from being required to take kids - the fire codes limit our occupancy to 2 per room. This just kicked me in the head to think of it. So all any B & B in WV needs to say is "I am restricted to 2 occupants per room." They will either have to take 2 rooms with one parent in each room or go elsewhere. A 6-room inn is limited to 12 occupants.

The "XYZ Room" is appropriate for children under 8 (or whatever age you choose).
Here's a question I've wondered about and never got a good answer. When required by law to take children, does that mean every room? Or can certain rooms be designated as adults only?
We state "Children are appropriate in the Cottage only".
I don't know if I can restrict the rooms they are allowed in. I do know a lot of B&B's in this state say 'no children' right on their website. If I had separate building that's where they'd be!
Kids I don't mind putting in any room. Probably over the age of 5 they start to lose that ear-piercingly high voice that carries everywhere. Right now it's babies. One that cried at 5 AM today woke me up. If I were a guest I'd be peeved big time to be woken up by a crying baby.
We did have one kid who was still on 'Euro' time and was wide awake at 3 AM. What did the parent do? Took him in the living room so his wife could sleep. Well, what about the rest of us? In the living room EVERY room was subjected to the kid's high-pitched voice. Not crying, just talking and playing. I moved them.

Madeline, I am not here to discourage you from taking kids since it is the LAW.
Do you have to state on your website that you welcome kids?
Can you put something like "This is an adult oriented b & b"
After I did that the # of kids coming were drastically reduced.
When I started charging an additional $20 - $25 for each person no matter what age, it stopped almost completely. Would that not help?
If I know a baby is going to be coming to stay at our b & b, I worry all week. All babies cry and most guests are here for a romantic getaway and we want it to stay that way.
Last week an older couple arrived and surprised us with their 1 year old granddaughter, drove 3 hrs. to get here so I could not turn them away. There were several dirty diapers in the garbage after they left, which stunk up the entire room. Out came the lysol. They did not even have the decency to tie up the garbage bag.

When I started charging an additional $20 - $25 for each person no matter what age, it stopped almost completely. Would that not help?
If I know a baby is going to be coming to stay at our b & b, I worry all week. All babies cry and most guests are here for a romantic getaway and we want it to stay that way.
Last week an older couple arrived and surprised us with their 1 year old granddaughter, drove 3 hrs. to get here so I could not turn them away. There were several dirty diapers in the garbage after they left, which stunk up the entire room. Out came the lysol. They did not even have the decency to tie up the garbage bag..
I do say that kids are welcome. I also charge for them. That cuts down on the number of them that we get. I say on the website that kids are welcome so the OTHER guests are not surprised to see that kids are here.
I'm going to push the babies into one room. I cannot, however, get DH to do the same. He would let families pack 'em in like sardines.
As it stands now, I do not allow more than 2 guests of any age into a room with one bed. I don't care how you all sleep at home, you are not packing 'em in here. You can all pig pile once the door is shut, but I have done my part to provide everyone with a bed.
We have changed the layout on several rooms to get rid of the second bed, THAT has cut down on overall business. Not good for me for the location I'm in to turn away guests but it was necessary given the kids were running overhead and parents were booking online because the room had 2 beds.
Still, this was more about the babies and pushing the parents into taking one certain room.

Last week an older couple arrived and surprised us with their 1 year old granddaughter, drove 3 hrs. to get here so I could not turn them away. There were several dirty diapers in the garbage after they left, which stunk up the entire room. Out came the lysol. They did not even have the decency to tie up the garbage bag..
I do say that kids are welcome. I also charge for them. That cuts down on the number of them that we get. I say on the website that kids are welcome so the OTHER guests are not surprised to see that kids are here.
I'm going to push the babies into one room. I cannot, however, get DH to do the same. He would let families pack 'em in like sardines.
As it stands now, I do not allow more than 2 guests of any age into a room with one bed. I don't care how you all sleep at home, you are not packing 'em in here. You can all pig pile once the door is shut, but I have done my part to provide everyone with a bed.
We have changed the layout on several rooms to get rid of the second bed, THAT has cut down on overall business. Not good for me for the location I'm in to turn away guests but it was necessary given the kids were running overhead and parents were booking online because the room had 2 beds.
Still, this was more about the babies and pushing the parents into taking one certain room.
A year ago we had a couple book for Thanksgiving. They were the only ones in-house and had a baby. This was one of the few times we have had "fussy baby" and thankfully, each time they were the only ones here. That said, the mother said to me. 'I know it is not good for your business, but I am glad no one else was here last night so the baby did not disturb anyone." She also apologized if the baby disturbed us. I remember my first night out of the hospital with my son - Mom had insisted we spend the night at her house. He fussed (the ONLY night I can remember him being fussy in fact) and I was worried about him disturbing their sleep, making for a bad night for all.
All this background to say - We suggest for the comfort of families with babies that the xxx Room is booked. Make it for concern for the parents that they book that room.

Designate whatever room you choose as a "Family Room" and be done with it. State in your policies "In consideration to all our guests, visitors with children are required to stay in a "Family Friendly Room".
IMHO, It's no different that having smoking and non-smoking rooms.

Designate whatever room you choose as a "Family Room" and be done with it. State in your policies "In consideration to all our guests, visitors with children are required to stay in a "Family Friendly Room".
IMHO, It's no different that having smoking and non-smoking rooms..
I agree with proud Texan. You should not be held hostage by families with kids/babies. Put them in the room you want and if someone else with baby calls, SORRY, our family room is already bookes. Let them go somewhere else.

I understand about the kid friendly apartments and such, but now they have gone the other way with Senior Living Places and these are not Nursing homes, and Im sure that no children can live in those places i guess they dont count? Anyway, if you gotta take kids can you limit the ages of the children you take? Here they take kids older than 10 years old...maybe the law says kids but that doesnt mean all ages are appropriate for all B & B's or hotels? just a thought but more than likely all kids need to be welcome huh?

I understand about the kid friendly apartments and such, but now they have gone the other way with Senior Living Places and these are not Nursing homes, and Im sure that no children can live in those places i guess they dont count? Anyway, if you gotta take kids can you limit the ages of the children you take? Here they take kids older than 10 years old...maybe the law says kids but that doesnt mean all ages are appropriate for all B & B's or hotels? just a thought but more than likely all kids need to be welcome huh?.
birdwatcher said:
I understand about the kid friendly apartments and such, but now they have gone the other way with Senior Living Places and these are not Nursing homes, and Im sure that no children can live in those places i guess they dont count? Anyway, if you gotta take kids can you limit the ages of the children you take? Here they take kids older than 10 years old...maybe the law says kids but that doesnt mean all ages are appropriate for all B & B's or hotels? just a thought but more than likely all kids need to be welcome huh?
Actually in Southern Calf a large number of the adult only (retirement age+ only) parks are unable to discriminate and about 10 years or so ago had to allow families with children in. (Not sure if this was all of them, it probably was).
What this meant, and please everyone don't take this the wrong way. But for those snow birders who stayed in these parks half of the year and drove home in the Spring, and kept these places up and nicely maintained, they then became low income or single parent housing with latchkey children and well...the rest is history.

I understand about the kid friendly apartments and such, but now they have gone the other way with Senior Living Places and these are not Nursing homes, and Im sure that no children can live in those places i guess they dont count? Anyway, if you gotta take kids can you limit the ages of the children you take? Here they take kids older than 10 years old...maybe the law says kids but that doesnt mean all ages are appropriate for all B & B's or hotels? just a thought but more than likely all kids need to be welcome huh?.
I'm not sure how senior living works it out. There are a lot of retirement communities here where kids are not welcome. I think it applies to 'public' accommodations as in hotels, apartments and the like.
The retirement communities are 'private' entities.
Kids are kids, can't take the 10 yo and say the parents have to leave the 4 yo home!
Just wondering how would anyone phrase that the babies have to go in a certain room?

I'm not sure how senior living works it out. There are a lot of retirement communities here where kids are not welcome. I think it applies to 'public' accommodations as in hotels, apartments and the like.
The retirement communities are 'private' entities.
Kids are kids, can't take the 10 yo and say the parents have to leave the 4 yo home!
Just wondering how would anyone phrase that the babies have to go in a certain room?
Madeleine said:
Remember when kids weren't allowed in hospitals or maternity wards? I remember sneaking in when I was a kid to see my new sister.
How to word it, BEST SOUND PROOF ROOM. haha

birdwatcher said:
Actually in Southern Calf a large number of the adult only (retirement age+ only) parks are unable to discriminate and about 10 years or so ago had to allow families with children in. (Not sure if this was all of them, it probably was).
What this meant, and please everyone don't take this the wrong way. But for those snow birders who stayed in these parks half of the year and drove home in the Spring, and kept these places up and nicely maintained, they then became low income or single parent housing with latchkey children and well...the rest is history.
they then became low income or single parent housing with latchkey children and well...the rest is history.
It may not be PC but facts are facts. The Cabrini Green and Taylor Projects were once brand-spanking new, nice apartments and within a year, they were areas the cops only entered in pairs with back-up and ended up so gross they were bulldozed. Granted it was a lot of people squashed into a small area - but is that not what all apartment complexes are? In this city, all the people have to hear is HUD and they dig in their heels. A church refused to sell a piece of property for Senior Housing apartments when they got wind of HUD involvement - it is the history of what they have seen with single parent HUD housing in the past. It does not take a village to raise kids - but 2 parents make for a better chance. I did the single mother route and do not know how it would have turned out as he got older with me being forced to go the sitter route. I took on 5 more instead.
Funny thing about latchkey kids - when mine were young enough to need supervision during the summer no school season, I worked graveyard shift while DH either worked dayshift or went to art school after being liad of permanently. ONLY after they were running around the neighborhood all day anyway did I take a dayshift position - and then, for several years DH was home trying to "make it as an artist". In a recent conversation with the middle son, he referred to himself and his siblings as being "latchkey" kids. HUH????

I recently read a book that was a simialr theme. New widow buys a trailer from a picture in an ad of the trailer for sale in a trailer Court named Paradise Trailer Court. She arrives to discover the picture was NOT what she bought and how she became involved with the women of the Court (most strange in one way or another) and transformed their lives and hers (by establishing a women's softball team) when she ended up staying.

Back