Reservation key assistance for tax rate increase

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Question:
Do you know how to change the tax rate in Rezkey beginning July 1, 2013? The sales and use tax went from 5% to 5.3%.
I don't see a place to have multiple tax rates or put in dates for this (I can do this in guestall) but not in rezkey. Any ideas? I can add a fraction or whatever but it needs to be changes from here on out.
*Catlady, in case you hadn't heard, it is up 0.3% across the state and additionally 0.7% with NoVA and Hampton Roads. (I know you will be changing a lot of website/reservation pages for this)

My thinking is that the tax rate you charge is what's in effect the day you take the money, not the date of the reservation. So you keep charging the same rate as now for all money collected before July 1, and you go in July 1 and change the rate so any money collected from then on charges the new rate.
I don't know of a way to go back and have it recalculate all balanced due using the new rate, but I would think at the time you collect those balances it will use the new rate. I guess you'd just have to explain, to anyone who asks, that the tax rate changed, it's beyond your control, and that's why the balance due changed a little after July 1.
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. I'm bad about that!

My thinking is that the tax rate you charge is what's in effect the day you take the money, not the date of the reservation. So you keep charging the same rate as now for all money collected before July 1, and you go in July 1 and change the rate so any money collected from then on charges the new rate.
I don't know of a way to go back and have it recalculate all balanced due using the new rate, but I would think at the time you collect those balances it will use the new rate. I guess you'd just have to explain, to anyone who asks, that the tax rate changed, it's beyond your control, and that's why the balance due changed a little after July 1.
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. I'm bad about that!.
Correct, but on the reservations made today for the time after July 1, the rates will all be off and their confirmation will say so. So for now, every booking (which is majority) will BE after July 1st. So I need it in there now. I just adjusted it in my reservation desktop program, it was easy to set the dates. And what it does is RETAIN the old percent on the reservations BEFORE July 1. If I change it, then my entire accounting system will be off, showing a balance on every reservation.
So when I change it in rez key this will be the same, or perhaps it will retain the old %, I am not sure.
(Honestly I am not emailing John re this because I had a mystery booking with $60 off the room rate and no rhyme or reason and he never replied. It was HUGE, a huge problem, that I could not duplicate. But happened.)

Correct, but on the reservations made today for the time after July 1, the rates will all be off and their confirmation will say so. So for now, every booking (which is majority) will BE after July 1st. So I need it in there now. I just adjusted it in my reservation desktop program, it was easy to set the dates. And what it does is RETAIN the old percent on the reservations BEFORE July 1. If I change it, then my entire accounting system will be off, showing a balance on every reservation.
So when I change it in rez key this will be the same, or perhaps it will retain the old %, I am not sure.
(Honestly I am not emailing John re this because I had a mystery booking with $60 off the room rate and no rhyme or reason and he never replied. It was HUGE, a huge problem, that I could not duplicate. But happened.)
I don't see a place to make it affective on a certain date either. One solution could maybe put on your reply or confirmation an asterisk saying as of July 1st the taxes will be going up by .3%.

I don't see a place to make it affective on a certain date either. One solution could maybe put on your reply or confirmation an asterisk saying as of July 1st the taxes will be going up by .3%.
I just went into look and there is not a way to make an effective July 1 Date. I thought to just create a new sales tax with the 5.3% but then would that overwrite the current one? I may have to try and see what it does.

Baygirl said:
Yes, and so then what? I still need to change it in reskey, and how do I do it halfway through the year without affecting the old reservations? This is what I am tossing around in my mind. Fortunately I don't use rezkey for my accounting. If I did, this would be troublesome. :)

Create a new tax (Properties:Taxes -- Add Tax), and then create new rate plans (Properties:Rate Plans) that take effect after July 1 and use the new tax instead of the old tax.
FWIW, even QuickBooks doesn't seem to have provision for changes in tax rates...

So it looks like we may need a new feature added. Dates to the tax rates.

Joey Bloggs said:
Honestly I am not emailing John re this because I had a mystery booking with $60 off the room rate and no rhyme or reason and he never replied...
Yeah, the last time I wrote him he also didn't reply. I'm afraid his business has finally grown to the point that he won't be able to be as accessible as he once was. That's a shame. It was fun having our own personal reservation software programmer!

Cannot speak for your system but I know I can change anything in my system to do with taxes or prices and it does not impact reservations already made.

Baygirl said:
You might also give them the option of charging their balance before July 1st to save the additional tax. I think most would.

Back