Reservation Key DNB?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps we need to define PITA better. I tell guests (not the term "pita" of course, that is privvy) but I tell guests "You know when you have a family gathering such as Thanksgiving or a Wedding and there is that one relative that you want to avoid? Well sometimes they go to B&B's."
That imo is a pita. You want to avoid them. For whatever reason, they vary. Just like the cousin or relative at the family reunion. The close-talker, the big-man small-man, the drama-queen, the train-wreck, the overly-medicated, the attention-seeker, etc.
pita.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
The close-talker, the big-man small-man, the drama-queen, the train-wreck, the overly-medicated, the attention-seeker...
...the constant complainer, the unreasonably picky, the condescending...
Question: where would you categorize someone who threatens a bad TA review if they don't get their way? DNB or PITA? Varies with the case, I guess, but certainly someone you wish would go elsewhere.
They fall under almost all of the ones Joey mentioned! However, if they are standing in front of you and you cannot make them happy no matter what you do (you still need to be able to look yourself in the mirror, too) then they are DNB. If you can make the bad go away without feeling dirty about it, then you call them PITA's and give them another chance to be civil grownups on their next stay.
Really, there are some guests who just need to throw their weight around to see what they can knock over. If you're like one of those inflatble punching bags we all had as kids, you bob & weave and every once in awhile you catch them off guard and get a good one in of your own. THEN the guest respects you and you never, ever have a whiff of trouble again and you find yourself, years down the road, having a good cry when you find out he died. And then you have another good cry when his widow comes to stay. And you have a good laugh over all the silliness at the same time.

Perhaps we need to define PITA better. I tell guests (not the term "pita" of course, that is privvy) but I tell guests "You know when you have a family gathering such as Thanksgiving or a Wedding and there is that one relative that you want to avoid? Well sometimes they go to B&B's."
That imo is a pita. You want to avoid them. For whatever reason, they vary. Just like the cousin or relative at the family reunion. The close-talker, the big-man small-man, the drama-queen, the train-wreck, the overly-medicated, the attention-seeker, etc.
pita.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
The close-talker, the big-man small-man, the drama-queen, the train-wreck, the overly-medicated, the attention-seeker...
...the constant complainer, the unreasonably picky, the condescending...
Question: where would you categorize someone who threatens a bad TA review if they don't get their way? DNB or PITA? Varies with the case, I guess, but certainly someone you wish would go elsewhere.
Arkansawyer said:
Anyone whose first reaction to a situation is to threaten to write a bad review (or a good review) should be told, IMHO, that there is nothing you can do to prevent them from doing what they want. But here is what you are willing to do to help them with whatever issue it is. If it's really bad, and there's no getting to an agreement, ask them to leave.
And no matter if you cave and make all their problems go away they can kill you online with either a bad review or a great review that tells everyone else how to walk all over you.

I don't think that has been added yet. We just knock back the rez if we don't want them, vs confirm. ie unavailable or cancel works. I have never had a guest book with me who was on a DNB and tried to book again. I have one in my mind that I would, however...I never forget bad guests..
Joey Bloggs said:
I don't think that has been added yet.
I was afraid of that (as I wanted THEM to do the dirty deed rather than me having to deal with it) but I can see where it would be a difficult situation Rez Key might not want to get involved with.
So if you see one make a reservation, you'd just process a refund on their deposit and tell them sorry, mistake, no rooms available?
Could I hire YOU to do dirty deeds for me? ;-)
And yes, I realize I'm going to have to become a bit more confrontational to make it in this business. Just putting it off as long as I can.
I use Res Key (love it!) and what I would do in the case of a DNB is same as I do when someone requests a res when I've forgotten to block time when we were planning to be away OR if someone has called and booked the room via phone and I had not yet entered it on computer ...
All requests receive an automated email that they will receive a "confirmation" email once their request has been processed. I have the "confirmation" email set to be done manually. So if I want to, I can send them a "Sorry, we cannot accommodate your request" email instead. It usually states that we will be closed at that time and apologizes for any inconvenience and that their credit card will not be charged. But if we are actually open, I will say that the room was already booked but our system had not yet been updated to reflect it. You could do this for a DNB ... they would never know ... but it would be cool if there were a way to tag someone like you are looking to do b/c obviously you have a persistent PITA you want to avoid dealing with at all... At least the email response keeps you from having to speak to them in person (unless of course they would bother calling you to find out WHY you keep forgetting to update your res system everytime they try to book a room...)
cry_smile.gif

I don't think that has been added yet. We just knock back the rez if we don't want them, vs confirm. ie unavailable or cancel works. I have never had a guest book with me who was on a DNB and tried to book again. I have one in my mind that I would, however...I never forget bad guests..
Joey Bloggs said:
I was afraid of that (as I wanted THEM to do the dirty deed rather than me having to deal with it) but I can see where it would be a difficult situation Rez Key might not want to get involved with.
So if you see one make a reservation, you'd just process a refund on their deposit and tell them sorry, mistake, no rooms available?
And yes, I realize I'm going to have to become a bit more confrontational to make it in this business. Just putting it off as long as I can.
I use Res Key (love it!) and what I would do in the case of a DNB is same as I do when someone requests a res when I've forgotten to block time when we were planning to be away OR if someone has called and booked the room via phone and I had not yet entered it on computer ...
All requests receive an automated email that they will receive a "confirmation" email once their request has been processed. I have the "confirmation" email set to be done manually. So if I want to, I can send them a "Sorry, we cannot accommodate your request" email instead. It usually states that we will be closed at that time and apologizes for any inconvenience and that their credit card will not be charged. But if we are actually open, I will say that the room was already booked but our system had not yet been updated to reflect it. You could do this for a DNB ... they would never know ... but it would be cool if there were a way to tag someone like you are looking to do b/c obviously you have a persistent PITA you want to avoid dealing with at all... At least the email response keeps you from having to speak to them in person (unless of course they would bother calling you to find out WHY you keep forgetting to update your res system everytime they try to book a room...)
cry_smile.gif

I know a forum member who had declined a booking and never heard back and were worried all day that this person would just SHOW UP, having made the rez from a mobile phone somewhere on the road. Never a dull moment...

Joey Bloggs said:
cry_smile.gif

I know a forum member who had declined a booking and never heard back and were worried all day that this person would just SHOW UP, having made the rez from a mobile phone somewhere on the road. Never a dull moment...
Ugh... We actually did have one guest show up after I declined their res and I had deleted all their info so I no longer had a copy of the "decline" email I sent them -- I NEVER delete them anymore!! She only had the initial request email which clearly states that it is NOT a confirmation, but she didn't notice the first sentence of the email which was in *bold letters with asterisks at each end* ... Fortunately for them my DH was willing to fix them breakfast in the morning (I was on my way out of town) so they got to stay anyway.

I don't recall seeing anything like that. But I would just make a note on the reservation DNB. That's all it takes. Doesn't really need a system to do that..
catlady said:
But I would just make a note on the reservation DNB. That's all it takes. Doesn't really need a system to do that.
I'm not clear what you're saying there. Are you talking about something you would do with Reservation Key online booking?
I'm amazed at how fast and easy I got Reservation Key set up and working smoothly on my website. Of course, the website isn't online yet, but I can run the site locally on my computer in a browser and the rooms, photos, availabililty all come up and I can make mock reservations. Just a really really nice system. I even figured out how to let them pay extra for bringing pets, all in just a few hours of toying with it.
I've recently signed on with Reservationkey and am very impressed with the interface. I'm still trying to iron out some setting issues with Authorize.net, but I'm hoping to go live by Tuesday.
I'd love the DNB feature, but I think the custom status is a good way go.
PT, are the issues with Authorize.net anything you could pass along? Or are they not problems others might have to face. I'm planning to go with Authorize.net also.
I was really happy to figure out how to use Reservation Key to charge a $10 fee per pet, per day, and to get it to correctly give our $50 discount for a 7-day stay vs. what it would be for 7 days at daily rate. So far I've only had to bother John 3 times!
Arkansawyer said:
PT, are the issues with Authorize.net anything you could pass along? Or are they not problems others might have to face. I'm planning to go with Authorize.net also.
I was really happy to figure out how to use Reservation Key to charge a $10 fee per pet, per day, and to get it to correctly give our $50 discount for a 7-day stay vs. what it would be for 7 days at daily rate. So far I've only had to bother John 3 times!
Sorry to take so long to answer. WE TOOK A VACATION!
The issue was the way my credit card payment account was set up. Originally, we were set up for Lodging. I tired of having to do a "Check-in" and "Check-out" procedure when all I needed was a simple sales receipt. My credit card guy had them change the account from "Lodging" to "Retail". That was fine and good until I attempted to create an E-Commerce site with ReservationKey.
I called my guy, explained the situation and he's apparently come up with a solution that will allow me to still swipe credit cards either with my stand-alone machine or with a card swiper connected to my computer using a virtual terminal and take payments on ReservationKey. They're going to have to reprogram my machine, but otherwise it will still work the same. The rate is a little higher, but it will actually cost me less in the long run because there will be fewer transaction fees. Since most of my charges were without the card (long story) this works well for me.

I don't recall seeing anything like that. But I would just make a note on the reservation DNB. That's all it takes. Doesn't really need a system to do that..
catlady said:
But I would just make a note on the reservation DNB. That's all it takes. Doesn't really need a system to do that.
I'm not clear what you're saying there. Are you talking about something you would do with Reservation Key online booking?
I'm amazed at how fast and easy I got Reservation Key set up and working smoothly on my website. Of course, the website isn't online yet, but I can run the site locally on my computer in a browser and the rooms, photos, availabililty all come up and I can make mock reservations. Just a really really nice system. I even figured out how to let them pay extra for bringing pets, all in just a few hours of toying with it.
I've recently signed on with Reservationkey and am very impressed with the interface. I'm still trying to iron out some setting issues with Authorize.net, but I'm hoping to go live by Tuesday.
Arkansawyer said:
The issue was the way my credit card payment account was set up. Originally, we were set up for Lodging. I tired of having to do a "Check-in" and "Check-out" procedure when all I needed was a simple sales receipt. My credit card guy had them change the account from "Lodging" to "Retail". That was fine and good until I attempted to create an E-Commerce site with ReservationKey.
I called my guy, explained the situation and he's apparently come up with a solution that will allow me to still swipe credit cards either with my stand-alone machine or with a card swiper connected to my computer using a virtual terminal and take payments on ReservationKey. They're going to have to reprogram my machine, but otherwise it will still work the same. The rate is a little higher, but it will actually cost me less in the long run because there will be fewer transaction fees. Since most of my charges were without the card (long story) this works well for me.
Thanks for the info. Glad you got a vacation!
I'm thinking of using Square for swiping cards "live" using my iPhone (to collect balance due), and Authorize.net to process online deposits through Reservation Key.

catlady said:
Arkansawyer said:
Are you still able to have a folio #? My folio #is the ResKey ID #. If you ever have a dispute with a charge, they require a folio# on the merchant recipt.

There is a nifty feature I just found today on Rezkey...I got an email with a name address and date requesting to be put on our waiting list for this weekend. I have had people call and request this before, but Rezkey did it today! So I went in and looked and sure enough, dates not avail would you like ot be added to the waiting list? it asked me.
NICE WORK JOHN, and Thanks to the person who suggested this feature.
cheers.gif

There is a nifty feature I just found today on Rezkey...I got an email with a name address and date requesting to be put on our waiting list for this weekend. I have had people call and request this before, but Rezkey did it today! So I went in and looked and sure enough, dates not avail would you like ot be added to the waiting list? it asked me.
cheers.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
cheers.gif
Yes, I noticed this featured appeared automatically about a week ago when requested date has nothing available. Only drawback I saw is that the waiting list request box pushes everything else on the page way down "below the fold" but that may only be on my own reservation page setup. It's a nice addition.

cheers.gif
Your welcome! I told John about this and he thought it was a great idea! So he went and did it. John is great to work with! I have been working with him on a few more ideas. We should start a post about what kind of things we would like on our dream program. Then go to him with our ideas. I have been talking and chatting with him a lot and he really likes ideas on how to make the site better. Oh and FYI. I think he has fixed the problem we were talking about last week with the reduce min stay if it can't be met. Great guy!

cheers.gif
Your welcome! I told John about this and he thought it was a great idea! So he went and did it. John is great to work with! I have been working with him on a few more ideas. We should start a post about what kind of things we would like on our dream program. Then go to him with our ideas. I have been talking and chatting with him a lot and he really likes ideas on how to make the site better. Oh and FYI. I think he has fixed the problem we were talking about last week with the reduce min stay if it can't be met. Great guy!
Bob said:
Awesome! I was trying to hold back at first and ease the ideas in a little at a time, I am glad so many more are on board now so he can really see how it benefits all of us! I remember Gillum House getting onboard and wanting packages. I think there is still some work to be done on that...but in time. I am happy with each change as it comes.
cheers.gif

Well, most of the things I asked him for were already in there and I didn't know it!
embaressed_smile.gif

cheers.gif
Great guy!
You got that right & a great program. Being very new to using this program, I thought that wait list thing had always been there.
I did do some setting changes & you can work it so the feature does not show until a date is not available. I don't remember how I did it or I would be glad to share.
embaressed_smile.gif

One thing you can do is add a custom status option on your settings page. Set it to a color that will be easy to see among the rest that you already have, and mark it DNB or some sort of code that no one else will know what it means unless you want them to. Then, instead of marking the Guest as "Checked-Out" at the end of their stay, mark them with your new make-shift status!.
MorrisonEscape said:
One thing you can do is add a custom status option on your settings page. Set it to a color that will be easy to see among the rest that you already have, and mark it DNB or some sort of code that no one else will know what it means unless you want them to. Then, instead of marking the Guest as "Checked-Out" at the end of their stay, mark them with your new make-shift status!
What I was really wondering is if there's a way to make Reservation Key recognize the e-mail address or phone number of a previously-identified DNB and not allow that person to make another reservation online. I just don't think that's possible, but it would sure be nice. It wouldn't have to come right out and say they aren't welcome. It could just give a "cannot book that room at present" message every time they tried to book, hopefully causing them to give up and go some place else.
The thing is, a lot of the DNB's probably don't know you don't want to see them again and might book again online. It would be nice to put some obstacles in their way.
Arkansawyer said:
MorrisonEscape said:
One thing you can do is add a custom status option on your settings page. Set it to a color that will be easy to see among the rest that you already have, and mark it DNB or some sort of code that no one else will know what it means unless you want them to. Then, instead of marking the Guest as "Checked-Out" at the end of their stay, mark them with your new make-shift status!
What I was really wondering is if there's a way to make Reservation Key recognize the e-mail address or phone number of a previously-identified DNB and not allow that person to make another reservation online. I just don't think that's possible, but it would sure be nice. It wouldn't have to come right out and say they aren't welcome. It could just give a "cannot book that room at present" message every time they tried to book, hopefully causing them to give up and go some place else.
The thing is, a lot of the DNB's probably don't know you don't want to see them again and might book again online. It would be nice to put some obstacles in their way.
As far as I know, there is no system out there that does what you want. Here's the funny thing...99.9% of the DNB will never cross your door again. For the .01% that do try to come back, it's best to just face it up front with them. Reject their reservation, tell them that you're sorry but you just can't meet their expectations, etc. I've only had to do it once in 10 years.
Even if your system could do what you're asking, the DNB would probably just call you when they got the message that there was no room for them. Then you would have to have a very awful phone conversation. It's much better to do it via e-mail.
I agree, DNB are obvious! For those who are just needy/pita's we welcome them back, we are in the people business. We may complain about them here, but they come back and we make them happy. There is only one I can think of who would ever try to stay here again that was way too much to handle. Troublemakers wouldn't dare try! It is not a problem, in the least. If you ever saw their name again (and you kept notes in your system) you just deny the booking. Easy peasy.
What does PITA stand for???

One thing you can do is add a custom status option on your settings page. Set it to a color that will be easy to see among the rest that you already have, and mark it DNB or some sort of code that no one else will know what it means unless you want them to. Then, instead of marking the Guest as "Checked-Out" at the end of their stay, mark them with your new make-shift status!.
MorrisonEscape said:
Arkansawyer said:
MorrisonEscape said:
As far as I know, there is no system out there that does what you want. Here's the funny thing...99.9% of the DNB will never cross your door again. For the .01% that do try to come back, it's best to just face it up front with them. Reject their reservation, tell them that you're sorry but you just can't meet their expectations, etc. I've only had to do it once in 10 years.
Even if your system could do what you're asking, the DNB would probably just call you when they got the message that there was no room for them. Then you would have to have a very awful phone conversation. It's much better to do it via e-mail.
I agree, DNB are obvious! For those who are just needy/pita's we welcome them back, we are in the people business. We may complain about them here, but they come back and we make them happy. There is only one I can think of who would ever try to stay here again that was way too much to handle. Troublemakers wouldn't dare try! It is not a problem, in the least. If you ever saw their name again (and you kept notes in your system) you just deny the booking. Easy peasy.
What does PITA stand for???
PAIN IN THE ASS! You need to read our glossary of terms in here somewhere :)

Really good for those who take names and screen them before taking the reservation.
For those who make real-time reservations and charge a deposit, it still allows that and makes you confront the person and cancel the reservation. Right?
Not bad, though. You've got to confront them at some point anyway, or give in and let them come back!
But I'd like it if, on a flagged e-mail address, it wouldn't make the reservation at all, and just give them a message, "we will contact you if your reservation is accepted".
Always looking for the non-confrontational way out!
embaressed_smile.gif

Back