Reservation Key DNB?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Does anybody know if Reservation Key has a way to mark a guest "do not book"? I've been looking :HELP: but can't find it and, I guess, would rather bother you all than support.

I don't think that has been added yet. We just knock back the rez if we don't want them, vs confirm. ie unavailable or cancel works. I have never had a guest book with me who was on a DNB and tried to book again. I have one in my mind that I would, however...I never forget bad guests.

I don't think that has been added yet. We just knock back the rez if we don't want them, vs confirm. ie unavailable or cancel works. I have never had a guest book with me who was on a DNB and tried to book again. I have one in my mind that I would, however...I never forget bad guests..
Joey Bloggs said:
I don't think that has been added yet.
I was afraid of that (as I wanted THEM to do the dirty deed rather than me having to deal with it) but I can see where it would be a difficult situation Rez Key might not want to get involved with.
So if you see one make a reservation, you'd just process a refund on their deposit and tell them sorry, mistake, no rooms available?
Could I hire YOU to do dirty deeds for me? ;-)
And yes, I realize I'm going to have to become a bit more confrontational to make it in this business. Just putting it off as long as I can.

I don't recall seeing anything like that. But I would just make a note on the reservation DNB. That's all it takes. Doesn't really need a system to do that.

I dont have it auto charge the deposit so can't help ya on that. I approve it or decline it (ie confirm) and charge manually here.

I don't recall seeing anything like that. But I would just make a note on the reservation DNB. That's all it takes. Doesn't really need a system to do that..
catlady said:
But I would just make a note on the reservation DNB. That's all it takes. Doesn't really need a system to do that.
I'm not clear what you're saying there. Are you talking about something you would do with Reservation Key online booking?
I'm amazed at how fast and easy I got Reservation Key set up and working smoothly on my website. Of course, the website isn't online yet, but I can run the site locally on my computer in a browser and the rooms, photos, availabililty all come up and I can make mock reservations. Just a really really nice system. I even figured out how to let them pay extra for bringing pets, all in just a few hours of toying with it.

One thing you can do is add a custom status option on your settings page. Set it to a color that will be easy to see among the rest that you already have, and mark it DNB or some sort of code that no one else will know what it means unless you want them to. Then, instead of marking the Guest as "Checked-Out" at the end of their stay, mark them with your new make-shift status!

One thing you can do is add a custom status option on your settings page. Set it to a color that will be easy to see among the rest that you already have, and mark it DNB or some sort of code that no one else will know what it means unless you want them to. Then, instead of marking the Guest as "Checked-Out" at the end of their stay, mark them with your new make-shift status!.
MorrisonEscape said:
One thing you can do is add a custom status option on your settings page. Set it to a color that will be easy to see among the rest that you already have, and mark it DNB or some sort of code that no one else will know what it means unless you want them to. Then, instead of marking the Guest as "Checked-Out" at the end of their stay, mark them with your new make-shift status!
What I was really wondering is if there's a way to make Reservation Key recognize the e-mail address or phone number of a previously-identified DNB and not allow that person to make another reservation online. I just don't think that's possible, but it would sure be nice. It wouldn't have to come right out and say they aren't welcome. It could just give a "cannot book that room at present" message every time they tried to book, hopefully causing them to give up and go some place else.
The thing is, a lot of the DNB's probably don't know you don't want to see them again and might book again online. It would be nice to put some obstacles in their way.

One thing you can do is add a custom status option on your settings page. Set it to a color that will be easy to see among the rest that you already have, and mark it DNB or some sort of code that no one else will know what it means unless you want them to. Then, instead of marking the Guest as "Checked-Out" at the end of their stay, mark them with your new make-shift status!.
MorrisonEscape said:
What I was really wondering is if there's a way to make Reservation Key recognize the e-mail address or phone number of a previously-identified DNB and not allow that person to make another reservation online. I just don't think that's possible, but it would sure be nice. It wouldn't have to come right out and say they aren't welcome. It could just give a "cannot book that room at present" message every time they tried to book, hopefully causing them to give up and go some place else.
The thing is, a lot of the DNB's probably don't know you don't want to see them again and might book again online. It would be nice to put some obstacles in their way.
Maybe we need a poll, but I wonder how frequently anyone actually encounters a DNB guest who tries to come back. I don't recall that happening here. I have a couple who come frequently and I know to get out the oldest towels due to makeup excesses, but that would never get them banned.

MorrisonEscape said:
Arkansawyer said:
MorrisonEscape said:
As far as I know, there is no system out there that does what you want. Here's the funny thing...99.9% of the DNB will never cross your door again. For the .01% that do try to come back, it's best to just face it up front with them. Reject their reservation, tell them that you're sorry but you just can't meet their expectations, etc. I've only had to do it once in 10 years.
Even if your system could do what you're asking, the DNB would probably just call you when they got the message that there was no room for them. Then you would have to have a very awful phone conversation. It's much better to do it via e-mail.

MorrisonEscape said:
Arkansawyer said:
MorrisonEscape said:
As far as I know, there is no system out there that does what you want. Here's the funny thing...99.9% of the DNB will never cross your door again. For the .01% that do try to come back, it's best to just face it up front with them. Reject their reservation, tell them that you're sorry but you just can't meet their expectations, etc. I've only had to do it once in 10 years.
Even if your system could do what you're asking, the DNB would probably just call you when they got the message that there was no room for them. Then you would have to have a very awful phone conversation. It's much better to do it via e-mail.
Breakfast Diva said:
...99.9% of the DNB will never cross your door again.
Yes, I suspected that must be the case. If it were a big problem there would probably be some sort of software solution.
I'm surprised, though, that so few PITAs are repeat customers. That's a relief to know. I'd pictured having a yearly case of, oh no, Mrs. Gotrocks is coming again!
I realize that all PITAs are not DNB. Maybe the post should have been about ways to discourage PITAs!

I don't recall seeing anything like that. But I would just make a note on the reservation DNB. That's all it takes. Doesn't really need a system to do that..
catlady said:
But I would just make a note on the reservation DNB. That's all it takes. Doesn't really need a system to do that.
I'm not clear what you're saying there. Are you talking about something you would do with Reservation Key online booking?
I'm amazed at how fast and easy I got Reservation Key set up and working smoothly on my website. Of course, the website isn't online yet, but I can run the site locally on my computer in a browser and the rooms, photos, availabililty all come up and I can make mock reservations. Just a really really nice system. I even figured out how to let them pay extra for bringing pets, all in just a few hours of toying with it.
I've recently signed on with Reservationkey and am very impressed with the interface. I'm still trying to iron out some setting issues with Authorize.net, but I'm hoping to go live by Tuesday.
I'd love the DNB feature, but I think the custom status is a good way go.

catlady said:
Duplicate entry

catlady said:
I've recently signed on with Reservationkey and am very impressed with the interface. I'm still trying to iron out some setting issues with Authorize.net, but I'm hoping to go live by Tuesday.
I'd love the DNB feature, but I think the custom status is a good way go.
PT, are the issues with Authorize.net anything you could pass along? Or are they not problems others might have to face. I'm planning to go with Authorize.net also.
I was really happy to figure out how to use Reservation Key to charge a $10 fee per pet, per day, and to get it to correctly give our $50 discount for a 7-day stay vs. what it would be for 7 days at daily rate. So far I've only had to bother John 3 times!

MorrisonEscape said:
Arkansawyer said:
MorrisonEscape said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, I suspected that must be the case. If it were a big problem there would probably be some sort of software solution.
I'm surprised, though, that so few PITAs are repeat customers. That's a relief to know. I'd pictured having a yearly case of, oh no, Mrs. Gotrocks is coming again!
I realize that all PITAs are not DNB. Maybe the post should have been about ways to discourage PITAs!
Yes, big difference between a PITA and a DNB. With a PITA, you just suck it up, count your money and look at the clock until they leave. PITAs do come back but hopefully not more than once a year!

MorrisonEscape said:
Arkansawyer said:
MorrisonEscape said:
I agree, DNB are obvious! For those who are just needy/pita's we welcome them back, we are in the people business. We may complain about them here, but they come back and we make them happy. There is only one I can think of who would ever try to stay here again that was way too much to handle. Troublemakers wouldn't dare try! It is not a problem, in the least. If you ever saw their name again (and you kept notes in your system) you just deny the booking. Easy peasy.

MorrisonEscape said:
Arkansawyer said:
MorrisonEscape said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Arkansawyer said:
Breakfast Diva said:
PITA's you just arm yourself, water off a duck's back etc. I don't think any PITA has ever been a DNB. They are two different issues. We just grin and bear it, we show ourselves here from frustration, but on the other side of that door we are the gracious host, 100%.

MorrisonEscape said:
Maybe we need a poll, but I wonder how frequently anyone actually encounters a DNB guest who tries to come back. I don't recall that happening here. I have a couple who come frequently and I know to get out the oldest towels due to makeup excesses, but that would never get them banned.
Innkeep said:
We've only had one DNB try to rebook. PITA's aplenty, but we got used to them after the first couple of years. Then they sort of self-selected their way to other B&B's.

Perhaps we need to define PITA better. I tell guests (not the term "pita" of course, that is privvy) but I tell guests "You know when you have a family gathering such as Thanksgiving or a Wedding and there is that one relative that you want to avoid? Well sometimes they go to B&B's."
That imo is a pita. You want to avoid them. For whatever reason, they vary. Just like the cousin or relative at the family reunion. The close-talker, the big-man small-man, the drama-queen, the train-wreck, the overly-medicated, the attention-seeker, etc.
pita.gif

Perhaps we need to define PITA better. I tell guests (not the term "pita" of course, that is privvy) but I tell guests "You know when you have a family gathering such as Thanksgiving or a Wedding and there is that one relative that you want to avoid? Well sometimes they go to B&B's."
That imo is a pita. You want to avoid them. For whatever reason, they vary. Just like the cousin or relative at the family reunion. The close-talker, the big-man small-man, the drama-queen, the train-wreck, the overly-medicated, the attention-seeker, etc.
pita.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
The close-talker, the big-man small-man, the drama-queen, the train-wreck, the overly-medicated, the attention-seeker...
...the constant complainer, the unreasonably picky, the condescending...
Question: where would you categorize someone who threatens a bad TA review if they don't get their way? DNB or PITA? Varies with the case, I guess, but certainly someone you wish would go elsewhere.

Back