Reservation Key?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Hello! For those of you that have switched to Reservation Key I have a question for you. I'm not sure how you guys have things set up on yours. I am having a hard time with the reduce min stay if it can't be met. For example....if you have a 2 night min on Friday and Sat and you are full on Monday, it will let the customer book just Sat even of you have Friday open. Is that as clear as mud?

I'd refer you to John on that one: support (at) reservationkey.com
He'll walk you through the steps to do what you want. If it can't be done, he'll likely modify the system so it can be done!

I'd refer you to John on that one: support (at) reservationkey.com
He'll walk you through the steps to do what you want. If it can't be done, he'll likely modify the system so it can be done!.
Already did that. Just letting you all know this is a big issue. If you have this program and are set up for real time res, you will have a problem. I hope he gets it fixed soon or I will have to switch yet again. He has been really great to work with and has added a few things that I have mentioned. I'm hopeful it will get fixed. If your not sure what I'm talking about. Give me a call and I will explain it to you. It is a real problem so beware.

Bob said:
....if you have a 2 night min on Friday and Sat and you are full on Monday, it will let the customer book just Sat...
I have a reservation entered on Monday June 4. I just tried to make a one-night reservation on Saturday June 2 through our website reservation page and the system says "We require a minimum stay of 2 nights" like it should.

I guess I don't understand as well. Did other programs do this, what actually does it do (I have seen that reduce min night stay but never paid much attention). THanks Bob,

Bob said:
....if you have a 2 night min on Friday and Sat and you are full on Monday, it will let the customer book just Sat...
I have a reservation entered on Monday June 4. I just tried to make a one-night reservation on Saturday June 2 through our website reservation page and the system says "We require a minimum stay of 2 nights" like it should..
Ok. Now make a fake reservation like you have someone staying Thursday an Friday and check out on Sat. Then it leaves a Sat available for a 1 night stay. Then go in as a customer and try and make a reservation. Ifyou have a 2 night min on the weekends a customer can not book that Sat. It will tell them there is a 2 night min and they will not book it. A few might call you and say it's not available for 2 nights, but most will just move on. Everytime this happens you will have to enter the reservation in manually. Try it!

I get what you are saying. But was there another way around this previousely? I have always had to adjust ti manually, in fact when the booking comes in, I will go and free up JUST that room from the two night min to allow a booking.
I have never seen anything else, am I missing it entirely? Was there another way?

Bob said:
I have a reservation entered on Monday June 4. I just tried to make a one-night reservation on Saturday June 2 through our website reservation page and the system says "We require a minimum stay of 2 nights" like it should..
Ok. Now make a fake reservation like you have someone staying Thursday an Friday and check out on Sat. Then it leaves a Sat available for a 1 night stay. Then go in as a customer and try and make a reservation. Ifyou have a 2 night min on the weekends a customer can not book that Sat. It will tell them there is a 2 night min and they will not book it. A few might call you and say it's not available for 2 nights, but most will just move on. Everytime this happens you will have to enter the reservation in manually. Try it!
Ah yes, the old 'thurs-fri' is the same as what you really wanted a 'fri-sat' reservation. Hate that. And, yes, I have to manually remove the Sat 2 night min for just that one room. Different rez system. Wonder if any rez system lets you state the 2 night min is ONLY Fri-Sat? That you can't book Thu-Fri or Sat-Sun? But would we really want that?

Bob said:
Ah yes, the old 'thurs-fri' is the same as what you really wanted a 'fri-sat' reservation. Hate that. And, yes, I have to manually remove the Sat 2 night min for just that one room. Different rez system. Wonder if any rez system lets you state the 2 night min is ONLY Fri-Sat? That you can't book Thu-Fri or Sat-Sun? But would we really want that?
From what I can tell you can not remove the 2 night min for 1 night. If you do it does it for the whole year.

Bob said:
That is not a mistake in my mind. If I have a 2 night min...I have a 2 night min. I am not taking a one nighter. If they really want to stay they will call. otherwise, I don't want a one nighter. I would rather be empty.

I get what you are saying. But was there another way around this previousely? I have always had to adjust ti manually, in fact when the booking comes in, I will go and free up JUST that room from the two night min to allow a booking.
I have never seen anything else, am I missing it entirely? Was there another way?.
Webervations 2.0 had it working for a little about 3 years ago. Then they made us do it manually. Reservation Key does not allow us to do that unless you change ig for the whole year. You can not reduce a 2 night stay for just 1 night. Have you tried it yet? Go in and test it. Then try and find a way to reduce the non stay for just 1 night and not the while year!

I have never seen anything else, am I missing it entirely? Was there another way?.
Webervations 2.0 had it working for a little about 3 years ago. Then they made us do it manually. Reservation Key does not allow us to do that unless you change ig for the whole year. You can not reduce a 2 night stay for just 1 night. Have you tried it yet? Go in and test it. Then try and find a way to reduce the non stay for just 1 night and not the while year!
Let me ask this- if you had ONE weekend in the whole year where you wanted to have a 2-night min, are you telling me that reskey will FORCE you to make it for every weekend all year? If that is not the case, there has to be a way to make one weekend different from the rest.
It may be the way you originally set it up. I don't have reskey so I can't do the research. However, I have heard that the guy who owns reskey is very open to helping. Give him a call.

Bob said:
Madeleine said:
Yes, this system does that, you tell it which DAYS specifically. But no you don't want that, what IF there is a Thurs-Fri booking, you want the booking.

Ignore minimum stay requirement if difference between booking date and reservation start date is equal to or less than
set it to one day, so they can book the one night within that one day, or 2 days, whatever you want it set to.,
Is shows SET applicable days, so you can set it for Sat or Thur and Fri whatever.
You set it for ONE NIGHT MIN
I guess I am still not clear. I didn't want to go into all of this right now, that is why there is support at rezkey. He has asked us to direct support questions to him, as doing THIS HERE only makes matters worse and confuses everyone, like me.
confused_smile.gif

Edited to add: I don't have a 2 night min the whole year.

Let me ask this- if you had ONE weekend in the whole year where you wanted to have a 2-night min, are you telling me that reskey will FORCE you to make it for every weekend all year? If that is not the case, there has to be a way to make one weekend different from the rest.
It may be the way you originally set it up. I don't have reskey so I can't do the research. However, I have heard that the guy who owns reskey is very open to helping. Give him a call.
Madeleine said:
I would like to say this needs to go to Support, not here, as THIS IS NOT THE CASE Maddie, in the least. of course not. Anyway, I will sign off now, this is a snowball and it bugs me when people jump in and the whole issue gets messed up. Let the dude with the issue deal with support on the issue.

Bob said:
Ok there is Two problems with the way this is set up.
1) if you have clicked the button "reduce min night stay I it can't be met" then her is why happens.
If you have a 2 night min on the weekends and you fill up on Monday but you still have rooms available for a Friday and Saturday night stay that currently have a 2 night min, it will allow the customer to book just Saturday for a 1 night stay.leaving you with a Friday open.
2) Without using the "reduce min night stay if it can't be met" button
If you have the system set up for 2 night min on the weekends and you are full on Monday. Then a customer books a Thursday and Friday night. This leaves Saturday available. No buddy will be able to book this room ever unless the customer calls you and you enter their info in manually. The customer will get a message that "we require a 2 night stay." The only way you can book that room is If you do it for them. There is no way to go in and change the min night stay for the 1 room for the 1 night. If you do change the rule it will
default for the whole year. Then you will no longer have a 2 night min on the weekends.

Ignore minimum stay requirement if difference between booking date and reservation start date is equal to or less than
set it to one day, so they can book the one night within that one day, or 2 days, whatever you want it set to.,
Is shows SET applicable days, so you can set it for Sat or Thur and Fri whatever.
I guess I am still not clear. I didn't want to go into all of this right now, that is why there is support at rezkey. He has asked us to direct support questions to him, as doing THIS HERE only makes matters worse and confuses everyone, like me.
confused_smile.gif

Edited to add: I don't have a 2 night min the whole year..
The reason I'm doing it her is to get user input. John is great! I really like him, but he doesn't use the system he builds it and works on it. You and I use it. So if I see a problem I want to know of anyone else is having the same problems. This way we can compare notes and go to him with suggestions. Sorry if I made anyone upset!

Madeleine said:
I would like to say this needs to go to Support, not here, as THIS IS NOT THE CASE Maddie, in the least. of course not. Anyway, I will sign off now, this is a snowball and it bugs me when people jump in and the whole issue gets messed up. Let the dude with the issue deal with support on the issue.
Wow!! I kinda thought this was what this forum was about. Talking to each other about our field. Things that work, things that don't work. Helping each other with problems we are having. I guess I posted a question on the wrong forum. I thought I was on Innspiring. so sorry for posting!

confused_smile.gif

The reason I'm doing it her is to get user input. John is great! I really like him, but he doesn't use the system he builds it and works on it. You and I use it. So if I see a problem I want to know of anyone else is having the same problems. This way we can compare notes and go to him with suggestions. Sorry if I made anyone upset!
Bob, I understand what your concern is. What I do is if I have a single night/room that has "orphaned" because of the bookings around it, all you have to do is go to rate plans, choose the room that's involved and add a new rule. The new rule will be for that date only, allow 1 night reservation, enter in the rate (this is a great opportunity to increase the room rate for a 1 night on a weekend if you want). Make sure you check the day you're working on in the Allowed Reservation Start Days and minimum stay section.

Save your changes and you're good to go. Make sure you double check that it's working correctly on your online calendar. Until I got used to doing it, I would make silly mistakes, but it was always my fault!
No matter what reservation program I've used, I've always had to do this function manually.

confused_smile.gif

Bob, I understand what your concern is. What I do is if I have a single night/room that has "orphaned" because of the bookings around it, all you have to do is go to rate plans, choose the room that's involved and add a new rule. The new rule will be for that date only, allow 1 night reservation, enter in the rate (this is a great opportunity to increase the room rate for a 1 night on a weekend if you want). Make sure you check the day you're working on in the Allowed Reservation Start Days and minimum stay section.

Save your changes and you're good to go. Make sure you double check that it's working correctly on your online calendar. Until I got used to doing it, I would make silly mistakes, but it was always my fault!
No matter what reservation program I've used, I've always had to do this function manually.
I appreciate your help! I will certainly give this a try. Also, thank you for being nice and helping with my question. I also just had John call me and tell me he now can see that there is a problem and that he is going to really work hard on fixing this. He has has several phone calls regarding this issue. I'm glad I'm not the only one that found it! Thanks again for helping!

Back