Reservation request for tonight

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
Just got a phone request for tonight. Our county is in the process of applying for a variance that could allow a limited re-opening as soon as a week and a half. I let her know that and she was good with it.
Another reality is that in an online county commissioners meeting yesterday it was made clear that nobody would go after those who allowed guests.

For many reasons, I’m sticking with the rules.

Re-opening will likely unleash a pent up demand and though I’m ready with previously stated health department requirements, I’m also looking at the need to put in place 6 feet between tables, and no condiment containers on the tables. I don’t yet have salt/pepper, ketchup packets and hate the idea of having to use them. They’re not a requirement here - yet, but I have read about putting this into place in actual restaurants.

I may have to discontinue using sterling. It gets sanitized in a completely separate solution, but is an added step that in addition to many other added steps I can probably drop.
I have several salt and pepper shakers and can rotate and sanitize so that there could be at least three days between each use.

The actual serving is a conundrum. Can I wear a mask and serve to the table? Should I place the plates on an intermediate surface and have the guests take them the rest of the way to their table?

Am I overthinking this?

No you're not over-thinking. People need to feel safe and they will appreciate all you do to help them feel good.
Just make sure that if tables are only 6' apart, they are turned so chairs don't infringe on the buffer when people scoot their chair back to get up.
I wouldn't use your salt & pepper shakers even if you tell me they are sanitized. I plan to carry my own salt & pepper, hot sauce, ketchup, etc. when I eat out until this is all over with. Also plan to take my own silverware because lots of places here plan to go to plastic utensils.

I haven’t done it yet, but later on I’m going to read the rules for restaurants and see how we can implement those.
The tough part is I can seat guests more than six feet apart, but they have to walk past each other to get there. Unless I remove tables rather than just assigning them. Which I guess is an option. I still have two months to think about this so I’m really looking forward to how everyone else manages!
Salt and pepper shakers will have to be sanitized between shifts, although I can do the same swap out as we have so many of them.
Big problem is everyone touches everything! Need a pack of sugar? Rifle thru all of them! Need a tea bag? Again, flip thru all of them. I seriously think we have to severely limit choices or move to a totally menu-driven breakfast.

Even tho we know reading is not the strong point of human beings, I think we do have to provide written info as to what we’re doing.
If you’re doing self check in, it might be best to provide the info there. Some places are removing in-room books altogether. Fewer touch points.

I haven’t done it yet, but later on I’m going to read the rules for restaurants and see how we can implement those.
The tough part is I can seat guests more than six feet apart, but they have to walk past each other to get there. Unless I remove tables rather than just assigning them. Which I guess is an option. I still have two months to think about this so I’m really looking forward to how everyone else manages!
Salt and pepper shakers will have to be sanitized between shifts, although I can do the same swap out as we have so many of them.
Big problem is everyone touches everything! Need a pack of sugar? Rifle thru all of them! Need a tea bag? Again, flip thru all of them. I seriously think we have to severely limit choices or move to a totally menu-driven breakfast..
Maybe it's time to think like I am about using meal prep. In fact, I'm contemplating writing down my recipes for it at the same time. Could you set up some outside tables, and let people take their breakfast outside, which is much further apart? I'm thinking either thermos or maybe just buying the $10 French Press and let them each have their own carafe of coffee. You just need to keep hot water around to put into it. And they get the thrill of making it their own and pressing down on it. And then it all just goes into the dishwasher?

I’ve had the same person email 3-4 times about staying. They are with a group that rented a house and were not going to cancel their vacation no matter if they were allowed in the state or not. This appears to be a default for some tourists — rules be damned. It also appears to be the default for those renting houses.
I’ve now been told they’ve seen a lot of places open in defiance of state regulations so can we stay tonight on our way back out of the state?
They’ve not been in state for the required 14 day quarantine, so the answer is still no.
We’ve been meandering around going to places we rarely see in the summer. And, yeah, 90% of locals are not following the restrictions on masks or distancing.

This is a minor thing, but in these days it's not: Don't forget to sterilize your chairs after each guest. When they pull out their chair to sit down or leave, they're making contact with the back and arms of the chair.

This is a minor thing, but in these days it's not: Don't forget to sterilize your chairs after each guest. When they pull out their chair to sit down or leave, they're making contact with the back and arms of the chair..
Yes, chair backs have always had my attention. I'm one of those people who notice (with an inward 'yuck') the finger marks on restaurant chairs where they are pulled out.

Back