Reservation Software

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternMass

Reaction score
hey guys

I'm in the process of picking out a system for a small 7 suite high-end property
I dug thru the old posts & see that lots of you are using ReservationKey
had never heard of it before though it sounds pretty good

Other ones I'm looking at: ResNexus, Mews, InnRoad

The main criteria I need...

EASY TO USE (I will probably be doing it all myself & am not particularly tech-saavy)
looks good
helpful tech support
credit card processing (I suppose I could do square but would rather have it all-included)
either has its own accounting or works with quickbooks
reasonably priced
preferably no contract so if I dont like it I can change

I already have my URL and somebody to run the website
regarding OTAs Im honestly hoping we dont have to deal with them too much
maybe put 1 room on booking and/or airbnb but do everything else direct

any & all suggestions much appreciated!

Have had ReservationKey for years. It has lots of bells & whistles, EASY to use, a forum that answers questions as well as great tech support, and the best part is it has a tiered fee system according to number of rooms - I do not pay with 3-rooms what a 10-room pays (makes a huge difference in ROI). I use Square and do not take deposits but most DO take deposits - RezKey has the ability of either.

We are ultra happy with Think reservations, intuitive/easy to use, great support, reporting, great channel manager if you want to use OTA's. They have significant market share and keep improving the product. And reasonably priced, monthly cost is a fraction of the cost of one nights stay, based upon what you said in other post...

We use Resnexus in our 4 room B&B and could not be happier! The system is very intuitive, easy to learn, works anywhere I go and Guests find it a breeze to make reservations on it. The also manage our website and do a great job! I run all my credit card charges right on the system tied to USA e-pay. Seamless!! If you call ask for Andrew Webb. He is our "Red Carpet Professional" and he is ALWAYS there if I need him. the support is really fantastic. Check them out. Maxx Starlight Pines Bed and Breakfast - Flagstaff AZ

You'll find a lot of folks here use ResKey and are very happy with it.
We can provide a little experience having used 3 since we started 10 years ago.
We inherited a Rezovations system, but changed within a year. Thankfully, I think they're out of the picture now.
We used ResNexus next, and it's a powerful and amazing system. But it's not cheap. If you're going to use most of the reporting and functionality of the software then get it.
For us, we found after a couple of years we were paying a high premium for many features we as a 10-room inn didn't need. And while the reporting was excellent, I didn't use it to its full potential.
ThinkReservations approach us a trade show (they're great about supporting the industry) and we switched. We've found it to be the "just right" Goldilocks-style choice. It's powerful enough and gives us what we need. Their customer service is responsive, and while they don't always give us every new feature idea we suggest, they're constantly improving.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I've used Reservation Key since I opened in 2013. It does everything I've ever needed, including Yield Management. It also has many features I don't use, but they're there if I ever need them. Excellent pricing, excellent support.

We use Reservation Key, well, for 20 plus years we used pencil and paper until folks here pushed me to use RK and book online. Try it a month for free, very inexpensive, can link with several payment processors, we use Authorize (through our bank Wells-Fargo) I do a sort of split system, small deposit online to prove the credit card and a desk top terminal where I swipe the card on arrival. Many reports offered in the system although I don't use many of them

We have ResNexus and are generally happy with it. They also have their own credit card processing division that we started using at the end of 2021 and are very happy with that too. Although they can create and host your website, we prefer to not have it bundled in the event you change the reservation software. We were lucky we had our website separate when the first res software company we had sold out to another company that we decided not to use.

Reservation Key since 2013. John the owner is very responsive to needs and issues; there's an online forum for personal Q&As with quick feedback. It does everything you need and has a very reliable connection to Trip Advisor's Trip Connect, which is a bargain tool to drive bookings. There is no other Reservation system out there that allows you to customize and tweak your Reservation form needs or management software as RK does. Also, it's very economical comparatively and does not charge a surcharge % for OTAs like Think does. I love being able to see every single search that is being made to check Availability also.

Many reports offered in the system although I don't use many of them
Generally, the only one I use is the "Taxes - Revenue By Item" report to tell me how much sales tax I have to send in to the state at the end of each month. Always a sad day.

Generally, the only one I use is the "Taxes - Revenue By Item" report to tell me how much sales tax I have to send in to the state at the end of each month. Always a sad day.
That tax report has accuracy issues if you have any tax exempt discounts. It's been noted in the Forum.
The Income Comparison by Date is invaluable to me. At any given time, I can see how Bookings stack up against 17 years worth of data.

hey guys

I'm in the process of picking out a system for a small 7 suite high-end property
I dug thru the old posts & see that lots of you are using ReservationKey
had never heard of it before though it sounds pretty good

Other ones I'm looking at: ResNexus, Mews, InnRoad

The main criteria I need...

EASY TO USE (I will probably be doing it all myself & am not particularly tech-saavy)
looks good
helpful tech support
credit card processing (I suppose I could do square but would rather have it all-included)
either has its own accounting or works with quickbooks
reasonably priced
preferably no contract so if I dont like it I can change

I already have my URL and somebody to run the website
regarding OTAs Im honestly hoping we dont have to deal with them too much
maybe put 1 room on booking and/or airbnb but do everything else direct

any & all suggestions much appreciated!
Hi. We are 4 guestrooms and recently switched from Think to ResNexus; generally for some calander features Think did not (yet) have. We also now use the credit card processing through Resnexus that gives good reporting.

I've worked behind the scenes with all the major players over the last 20+ years finding bugs, testing (and hacking) their systems, and communicating and advocating on behalf of clients. Most of them have frustrated the heck out of me at one time or another as they argue about bugs rather than simply fix them.

That is until Think Reservations came along. They were the first ones to really listen and improve their system based on the feedback we gave and are giving them and in my opinion they are light years ahead of all the competition in terms of technology and usability. As such, 99% of our clients use them and we've only had one client ever leave them once they've switched over. If I remember correctly, an aggressive salesperson from the competition fibbed about a feature to get them to move and they quickly moved back to Think when they realized it was a lie.

In my professional opinion, you can't go wrong with Think Reservations.

And before anyone asks, no, I don't make a dime off this recommendation ;-)

Scott

I need the ability to handle more than one language. I'm using ReservationKey. Most of the other software that I was offered was English only.

Little hotellier, it has been awesome for us.does everything. Management system. Website creator,multi channel booking system. My wife and I set it all up and they have great support. Under $200 a month for us.

Little hotellier, it has been awesome for us.does everything. Management system. Website creator,multi channel booking system. My wife and I set it all up and they have great support. Under $200 a month for us.
Guess I'm just a cheapskate, Reservation Key is $44 for my size property, less for smaller properties. I do pay another $10 to folks that host my website. Mom and pop so not much "management needed" and don't use OTA services, that cheap side of me again.

Back