ReservationKey and Google Analytics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Has anyone here had success tracking their ReservationKey reservations page with Google Analytics? One of my Analytic goals was to see how many visitors went to my reservations page to check for availabilty. The worked fine when I was using Webervations because I was able to embed the Google code snippet into the header myself.
ReservationKey has a section in their Reservation Page building page (basically a form text field) where you can enter this code in. Since migrating to ReservationKey, my conversion rate has flatlined. I've had several back and forth emails with John at customer support and he said that this code is added to the final page that is generated AFTER a reservation is made. He said he would manually put it on my initial landing page, but it still doesn't seem to be working.
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you resolve it?

Sorry PT, this is not something I am tracking. I only track where the referrals come from TO our website. I have never been interested in who checks the availability, only the bookings that come through. Hope you get it working.

Joey, this is better to track as you can track who actually reserves a room. You find out who is sending customers versus traffic.

Joey, this is better to track as you can track who actually reserves a room. You find out who is sending customers versus traffic..
toddburme said:
Joey, this is better to track as you can track who actually reserves a room. You find out who is sending customers versus traffic.
pt said from his website, not third parties.

Maybe but with setting up a goal like he mentioned, he gets the info of the original referrer.
PT did I misunderstand what you were doing?

Maybe but with setting up a goal like he mentioned, he gets the info of the original referrer.
PT did I misunderstand what you were doing?.
I don't need to track how many reservations I get. I know that from ReservationKey. I'm trying to track how many people land on my reservations page to check availability. The only way they'll get there is through my website when they click "Check Availabilty".
I know people are going there. I'm getting online reservations. For some reason, Google Analytics is not tracking them.
toddburme said:

I don't need to track how many reservations I get. I know that from ReservationKey. I'm trying to track how many people land on my reservations page to check availability. The only way they'll get there is through my website when they click "Check Availabilty".
I know people are going there. I'm getting online reservations. For some reason, Google Analytics is not tracking them.
toddburme said:
Proud Texan said:
I'm trying to track how many people land on my reservations page to check availability.
But isn't your reservations page part of your website, where Google Analytics checks that directly?
They way I have it set up, the reservations page is just another page on the website, and the ReservationKey stuff shows up within a frame on that page. The reservation page has all the same header stuff, menus, and look of the rest of the website, and the Google Analytics tracking code just goes at the top of the page of code like it does on all the other pages of the website.
You must be using the "Direct Link" code on the ReservationKey "Reservation Pages" page. I'm using the stuff in the "Iframes" section.

toddburme said:
Proud Texan said:
I'm trying to track how many people land on my reservations page to check availability.
But isn't your reservations page part of your website, where Google Analytics checks that directly?
They way I have it set up, the reservations page is just another page on the website, and the ReservationKey stuff shows up within a frame on that page. The reservation page has all the same header stuff, menus, and look of the rest of the website, and the Google Analytics tracking code just goes at the top of the page of code like it does on all the other pages of the website.
You must be using the "Direct Link" code on the ReservationKey "Reservation Pages" page. I'm using the stuff in the "Iframes" section.
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
The problem with using iframes is that your reservation page doesn't show as a secure webpage i.e., https:// and they're no other indicators that the page is secure for a credit card transaction.

toddburme said:
Proud Texan said:
Be careful using frames when there is credit card and financial info involved, although it is secure as we know where it is being processed, not on our website, the guest will have a red flag saying it is not secure.

toddburme said:
Proud Texan said:
Be careful using frames when there is credit card and financial info involved, although it is secure as we know where it is being processed, not on our website, the guest will have a red flag saying it is not secure.
The instructions for setting this stuff up are clear as mud. I've gone back several times and tried different configurations, but to no avail. I'll keep trying.
Another thing that happened when I quit Webervations is that BedandBreakfast.com dropped the link to my webpage and of course they will no longer be linking to my reservations page since they don't own it. That cut my web traffic considerably because I was getting a lot of referrals from them.
I've noticed since this whole transition that my Analytics results have gone crazy. My reported visitations have dropped significantly and my bounce rate more than doubled. I've upgraded my B&B.com account to restore my webpage link. I'm hoping that will unskew my results. I'm not panicking because I know it will take a while for Google to start tracking the new configuration. I added my ReservationsKey link to my sitemap in hopes that will help.
I'm wondering if the first part of the ReservationKey URL is causing a problem: https://v2.reservationkey.com since it's on a secure domain?

toddburme said:
Proud Texan said:
The instructions for setting this stuff up are clear as mud. I've gone back several times and tried different configurations, but to no avail. I'll keep trying.
Another thing that happened when I quit Webervations is that BedandBreakfast.com dropped the link to my webpage and of course they will no longer be linking to my reservations page since they don't own it. That cut my web traffic considerably because I was getting a lot of referrals from them.
I've noticed since this whole transition that my Analytics results have gone crazy. My reported visitations have dropped significantly and my bounce rate more than doubled. I've upgraded my B&B.com account to restore my webpage link. I'm hoping that will unskew my results. I'm not panicking because I know it will take a while for Google to start tracking the new configuration. I added my ReservationsKey link to my sitemap in hopes that will help.
I'm wondering if the first part of the ReservationKey URL is causing a problem: https://v2.reservationkey.com since it's on a secure domain?
I use a different tracker called livestats, but I have never tracked my reservation page, in the old system or new. BedandBreakfast.com was not a high referrer for me before, at all, but I have paid to be on a secondary listing in a nearby area. And yet, the calls I do get or emails are to use the BandB.com gift card, and we don't accept them. So I am not sure how much business we get, we are probably just paying for that link. I have wondered about the v2 in that as well.
Because of that I put the reservation "portal" page on my website as the reservation url whenever anyone needs it, ie tourism websites, etc, Then from there they see our specials and blah blah blah and can check availability.

How about using redirection? Somebody clicks a "Reserve Now" or "Check Availability" button on your website, taking them to another page on your website, which your analytics takes note of, then they are automatically redirected to the ReservationKey site.
More info on how to do it at
http://www.webworkshop.net/auto-redirecting_methods.html

How about using redirection? Somebody clicks a "Reserve Now" or "Check Availability" button on your website, taking them to another page on your website, which your analytics takes note of, then they are automatically redirected to the ReservationKey site.
http://www.webworkshop.net/auto-redirecting_methods.html.
Lots of users are on a slow enough connection to see that happen. They (I) will not be happy to be redirected when it involves their cc info. Now the folks on T-1 lines won't notice, maybe. Also, if they hover over the link, they will see they are being directed to some 'other' page that is not secure.
I think PT should just tell the folks running his rez book that he needs to track from start to finish and let them figure out why it's not working the way he wants it to.

Lots of users are on a slow enough connection to see that happen. They (I) will not be happy to be redirected when it involves their cc info. Now the folks on T-1 lines won't notice, maybe. Also, if they hover over the link, they will see they are being directed to some 'other' page that is not secure.
I think PT should just tell the folks running his rez book that he needs to track from start to finish and let them figure out why it's not working the way he wants it to.
Madeleine said:
They're working on it.

Madeleine said:
They're working on it.
Proud Texan said:
They're working on it.
You squeaky wheel, you.

Madeleine said:
They're working on it.
Proud Texan said:
They're working on it.
You squeaky wheel, you.
That is how they are at RezKey. You tell them what you need and they try to work it out.

I looked at Google Analytics this morning and it said that my tracking code had not been installed on any of my pages and that the last time it checked was like over a week ago. What? They're nuts. Everything was tracking perfectly until the switch over to ResevationKey.
The funny thing is that it's still showing the URL for Webervations even though I have changed the goal URL to ReservationKey. I'm thinking I may have to delete that profile and create a new one from scratch because no amount of tweaking and editing seems to help.

toddburme said:
Proud Texan said:
My reported visitations have dropped significantly and my bounce rate more than doubled.
Well anyone landing on one page of your site and then clicking on your reservation link would be seen as a bounce if you are not tracking it through to the reservation system.
The best way is to get reservationkey to suport the addition of a tracking code. IF they can, that is best. If they can't, here are a few options:

toddburme said:
Proud Texan said:
My reported visitations have dropped significantly and my bounce rate more than doubled.
Well anyone landing on one page of your site and then clicking on your reservation link would be seen as a bounce if you are not tracking it through to the reservation system.
The best way is to get reservationkey to suport the addition of a tracking code. IF they can, that is best. If they can't, here are a few options:
Thanks Swirt! My guess is that external links are now tracked differently in Google Analytics 5. My old link was setup under the previous version. I'm trying the javascript first, but it will take a couple of days to see if it show up on my goals page.
swirt said:

toddburme said:
Proud Texan said:
Thanks Swirt! My guess is that external links are now tracked differently in Google Analytics 5. My old link was setup under the previous version. I'm trying the javascript first, but it will take a couple of days to see if it show up on my goals page.
swirt said:
Proud Texan said:
swirt said:
The redirect worked! Unfortunately, ReservationKey's calendar widget uses a javascript call to their server that doesn't allow the substitution of my redirect URL. However, they're interested in solving this problem, because I'm sure it's not a unique one. So, at least for now, I can track some of my traffic.

Back