Reservations from TA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always thought you play with a groillia and you will get hurt. As sheer strength he has. I have never signed up with this and I have not been infected by not signing up. Amazing! even with reports on their sight.Gee I wonder why????? I have been in business for many a year. Plus I Very seldom ask for reviews from my guests. I get feed back in other ways. Tips gifts, And kind words and one more thing I get referrals from guests that have stayed here. I count my blessing.
As I said before I don't like any one using my business name with out my permission. Esepecailly for their profit. Period!!!.
Flower said:
I have always thought you play with a groillia and you will get hurt. As sheer strength he has. I have never signed up with this and I have not been infected by not signing up. Amazing! even with reports on their sight.Gee I wonder why????? I have been in business for many a year. Plus I Very seldom ask for reviews from my guests. I get feed back in other ways. Tips gifts, And kind words and one more thing I get referrals from guests that have stayed here. I count my blessing.
As I said before I don't like any one using my business name with out my permission. Esepecailly for their profit. Period!!!
I'm not sure what you're talking about - NONE of us signed up with TA, at least initially. Someone writes a review and you're in their system, whether you want to be or not. So, there's no choice involved in dealing with them - you can't get yourself removed, either. We don't ask for reviews either, but our customers are savvy enough to use TA and Yelp, without prompting for us.

As I said before I don't like any one using my business name with out my permission. Esepecailly for their profit. Period!!!.
Flower said:
As I said before I don't like any one using my business name with out my permission. Esepecailly for their profit. Period!!!
I'm not sure what you're talking about - NONE of us signed up with TA, at least initially. Someone writes a review and you're in their system, whether you want to be or not. So, there's no choice involved in dealing with them - you can't get yourself removed, either. We don't ask for reviews either, but our customers are savvy enough to use TA and Yelp, without prompting for us.
Yes Muirford is absolutely correct. In the beginning no one could sign up for them. Guests would post review and you had nothing to do with it. And so it has progressed over the years to when they let innkeepers pay for a listing. Now the next generation of TA begins I guess and again...who has control over it? Maybe PAII could step up to the plate on this "invasion"

It looks to me like this new phone thing is just TA's way of letting us know that the reservation referral came from TA, from a prospective guest looking at our reviews on TA then calling.
Nothing about that would make me mad. I can fully understand TA wanting to get some credit for business coming our way because people use their site.
TA does things that make me upset. This is not one of them.

Flower said:
Yes Muirford is absolutely correct. In the beginning no one could sign up for them. Guests would post review and you had nothing to do with it. And so it has progressed over the years to when they let innkeepers pay for a listing. Now the next generation of TA begins I guess and again...who has control over it? Maybe PAII could step up to the plate on this "invasion"
Maybe PAII could step up to the plate on this "invasion"
I do not expect PAII to do anything on this. I think it is the small inns - say less than 15 rooms that are getting this. We re the size inns telling PAII sorry, we really cannot afford such a massive jump in dues with no warning and are leaving. The big inns are most likely paying T A so they are left alone. Strictly a surmise on my part but....

There are a LOT of "small inns - say less than 15 rooms..." who can afford to belong to PAII (and DO so!) PAII is for education, advocacy and networking. It is a very valuable ingredient in my innkeeping recipe.
I pay for a T/A listing because there is SO much competition in my area. There are millions and millions of people (read: potential guests to my inn) using that site every day. I want them to find ME!
Those of us who pay for listings have not only our correct phone number, but direct links to our website and e-mail too.In addition, we can post more photos and add specials and announcements. My analytics show that this is a good investment. I got a mobile listing for free when I signed up, which is good as I do get walk-ins on a regular basis. These people come in toting their iPads and iPhones. T/A also sends me an email each month with my stats on it.
I believe that when (potential) guests see my listing on T/A and then come to my website and see that I'm a member of PAII and other worthwhile organizations, it assures the guest that I'm serious about innkeeping. It says that I've placed my business out there and that it's not just a hobby.
Now, I'm NOT making any implications that anyone who is NOT on T/A and/or PAII is any less of a business than I am. What I'm saying is that I feel that because of some of the stereotypes associated with innkeeping, people take me more seriously since I am on board with these larger entities.

Flower said:
I do not expect PAII to do anything on this. I think it is the small inns - say less than 15 rooms that are getting this. We re the size inns telling PAII sorry, we really cannot afford such a massive jump in dues with no warning and are leaving. The big inns are most likely paying T A so they are left alone. Strictly a surmise on my part but....
gillumhouse said:
FYI - as I mentioned in one of my comments earlier, I first say this noted on the PAII forum by Riki, with an innkeeper from Amelia Island chiming in. I see that you started a new topic over there about it, but it had come up there several days ago in relation to another TA topic.

There are a LOT of "small inns - say less than 15 rooms..." who can afford to belong to PAII (and DO so!) PAII is for education, advocacy and networking. It is a very valuable ingredient in my innkeeping recipe.
I pay for a T/A listing because there is SO much competition in my area. There are millions and millions of people (read: potential guests to my inn) using that site every day. I want them to find ME!
Those of us who pay for listings have not only our correct phone number, but direct links to our website and e-mail too.In addition, we can post more photos and add specials and announcements. My analytics show that this is a good investment. I got a mobile listing for free when I signed up, which is good as I do get walk-ins on a regular basis. These people come in toting their iPads and iPhones. T/A also sends me an email each month with my stats on it.
I believe that when (potential) guests see my listing on T/A and then come to my website and see that I'm a member of PAII and other worthwhile organizations, it assures the guest that I'm serious about innkeeping. It says that I've placed my business out there and that it's not just a hobby.
Now, I'm NOT making any implications that anyone who is NOT on T/A and/or PAII is any less of a business than I am. What I'm saying is that I feel that because of some of the stereotypes associated with innkeeping, people take me more seriously since I am on board with these larger entities..
Oh don't get me wrong AI...I believe in TA and if I still was an innkeeper I would be paying for a listing with them. As I said earlier in the thread. My good friends use ONLY TA for the most part and that is where most of their guests come from. They have over 600 + reviews ***** It has done more for them than any directory.

Flower said:
Ok I understand none signed up! But I also have read you pay high price to TA for what? Iam not sure ...is that so you can answere back to the guest that wrote a review? I heard from some it cost them $400.00 plus a year . Iam Missing some thing here. Could be. If so PLEASE correct me. Thank you. I also talk to my guest about TA and have showed them how they have hurt small places with false reports. How they decide what will be put up in writing and how if you disagree it is not always changed.When asked. to remove. . They have thee final word..opps sorry got to go some one at door

Flower said:
Ok I understand none signed up! But I also have read you pay high price to TA for what? Iam not sure ...is that so you can answere back to the guest that wrote a review? I heard from some it cost them $400.00 plus a year . Iam Missing some thing here. Could be. If so PLEASE correct me. Thank you. I also talk to my guest about TA and have showed them how they have hurt small places with false reports. How they decide what will be put up in writing and how if you disagree it is not always changed.When asked. to remove. . They have thee final word..opps sorry got to go some one at door
You do not have to pay to respond to reviews. You can go into your management account on TA and select any review out there to respond to it.
If you want to have your email address, phone number and website info published on TA then you have to pay. And, yes, it is around $400/year.
Some people find it helps them a lot. Others don't find the same thing. We used to pay to have our website link out there but we did not get a lot of clicks so we did not pay for another year. Others have completely different results.
Lots of guests say they 'found you on TA' but whether they started with TA or just looked there later on I don't know. Of all the people who said they always use TA and always write reviews, about 1 wrote a review about us!

Flower said:
You do not have to pay to respond to reviews. You can go into your management account on TA and select any review out there to respond to it.
If you want to have your email address, phone number and website info published on TA then you have to pay. And, yes, it is around $400/year.
Some people find it helps them a lot. Others don't find the same thing. We used to pay to have our website link out there but we did not get a lot of clicks so we did not pay for another year. Others have completely different results.
Lots of guests say they 'found you on TA' but whether they started with TA or just looked there later on I don't know. Of all the people who said they always use TA and always write reviews, about 1 wrote a review about us!
T A is supposed to be a wonderful resource because of all the "unbiased reviews". It is now becoming just another Directory. Those who were listed for free to get it populated and give it the big rep as a place to go to for the real truth are now being dinged for cash.
(Note JB - I went to new paragraph) I do hear potential guests remark about our great reviews - I do not have a lot of them but they are all pretty good - but it would not bother me a whole lot if they dropped my page - as long as it was totally deleted and not just hanging there as if I am out of business. I am not paying them so someone can tell me, "if you don't _________ I will write a bad review."

It looks to me like this new phone thing is just TA's way of letting us know that the reservation referral came from TA, from a prospective guest looking at our reviews on TA then calling.
Nothing about that would make me mad. I can fully understand TA wanting to get some credit for business coming our way because people use their site.
TA does things that make me upset. This is not one of them..
Arkansawyer said:
TA does things that make me upset. This is not one of them.
So, someone told TA that this was a test to see how it goes. Your listing has a TA phone number. They decide not to do it anymore. Guests have written down the TA phone number for your business. They go to book and the phone number is disconnected. They book elsewhere as they assume you are closed, because, as all of us know, TA is the "total truth"...
Or, you have guests in town. They have written down the TA phone number for your business when they booked a month ago and TA has since disconnected the phone number. They try to call you because they are lost and the number is disconnected.
Riki

Flower said:
Thank you for that in sight.
Strange I was told that if I had a report on my business I could not respond unless I had a busness account. Also ta had phoned here to offer us a deal. Which I told them not thanks and take my name off your listing .You are using my name and I have not given you permission.
I wish Jay would of gone another route inside of siding with them to try and make it better for B&Bs or Inns. I truly feel it is not right they can do what they like with out asking.Or guests beable to write a note or report with out using their own name . To not have the belief stronge enough truthfullness to beable to stand up for what they perseve is correct, by not using their real name. They can say anything they want unless you can prove them wrong. How can you really believe anything was true to fact? Oh blither!
Ok stepping down from my soap box!
Again thank you for that insight

Flower said:
Strange I was told that if I had a report on my business I could not respond unless I had a busness account. Also ta had phoned here to offer us a deal. Which I told them not thanks and take my name off your listing .You are using my name and I have not given you permission.
I wish Jay would of gone another route inside of siding with them to try and make it better for B&Bs or Inns. I truly feel it is not right they can do what they like with out asking.Or guests beable to write a note or report with out using their own name . To not have the belief stronge enough truthfullness to beable to stand up for what they perseve is correct, by not using their real name. They can say anything they want unless you can prove them wrong. How can you really believe anything was true to fact? Oh blither!
Ok stepping down from my soap box!
Again thank you for that insight
Flower said:
You do not have to pay to write the response to the review but you MUST 'claim' your business in order to write the review. If you have not done this, you really should. You can add more photos that way too. And write up a little business statement that guests can read.
That may be what the person meant by having a business account.
Also, if you write reviews when you go places do NOT use the same email or name as your business account.

They have not added a phone number to my listing. Don't know why, but I'm not complaining!

Still looking for an explanation for the TA number posted on our listing. No answers yet.

Still looking for an explanation for the TA number posted on our listing. No answers yet..
Possibly related to the phone call I had a couple of weeks ago from a girl saying she wanted to make a rez but wanted to be sure we were located in town? Putting 2 + 2 together now... Other people had that call, the number on the CID was identified as a valid TA phone number. Did the same people who got that call end up with a TA phone number on their listing?
https://www.innspiring.com/node/13242

Still looking for an explanation for the TA number posted on our listing. No answers yet..
Possibly related to the phone call I had a couple of weeks ago from a girl saying she wanted to make a rez but wanted to be sure we were located in town? Putting 2 + 2 together now... Other people had that call, the number on the CID was identified as a valid TA phone number. Did the same people who got that call end up with a TA phone number on their listing?
I did not get that call but I did update our TA listing to secure the Bronze level as a Green Leader. Perhaps TA is putting their number on any listing that is updated.....something to think about before you do a management response or update your TA listing.

I did not get that call but I did update our TA listing to secure the Bronze level as a Green Leader. Perhaps TA is putting their number on any listing that is updated.....something to think about before you do a management response or update your TA listing.
We do not have the new phone number from TA and we did receive the silver Green Leader award and I have recently communicated with TA about a possible blackmail situation. I don't think there is any connection between these communications and the phone number.

We do not have the new phone number from TA and we did receive the silver Green Leader award and I have recently communicated with TA about a possible blackmail situation. I don't think there is any connection between these communications and the phone number.
Hmmmm, the mystery continues!

Hmmmm, the mystery continues!
What follows is a reply from a TA spokesperson posted on PAII forum... so those phone numbers will probably go away shortly...
Hi and thanks for your feedback. What you're referring to is a limited-time test we're running to demonstrate how many phone inquiries TripAdvisor Business Listings can provide for a property. We're always looking at new ways to enhance the experience of both accommodation owners and travelers on TripAdvisor, and to measure the added value that Business Listings provides to all parties. This test will be concluded shortly.

Back