Reservations from TA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi and thanks for your feedback. What you're referring to is a limited-time test we're running to demonstrate how many phone inquiries TripAdvisor Business Listings can provide for a property. We're always looking at new ways to enhance the experience of both accommodation owners and travelers on TripAdvisor, and to measure the added value that Business Listings provides to all parties. This test will be concluded shortly.
[/quote]
Meanwhile, i have to hope that nobody wrote down this TA false phone number and think it's mine to call later only to find that it is disconnected. I told them what I think of them posting false phone numbers under my business information. I still don't think it's legal
Riki

Hi and thanks for your feedback. What you're referring to is a limited-time test we're running to demonstrate how many phone inquiries TripAdvisor Business Listings can provide for a property. We're always looking at new ways to enhance the experience of both accommodation owners and travelers on TripAdvisor, and to measure the added value that Business Listings provides to all parties. This test will be concluded shortly.
Meanwhile, i have to hope that nobody wrote down this TA false phone number and think it's mine to call later only to find that it is disconnected. I told them what I think of them posting false phone numbers under my business information. I still don't think it's legal
Riki.

[/QUOTE]
I just got another call!

Still looking for an explanation for the TA number posted on our listing. No answers yet..
Possibly related to the phone call I had a couple of weeks ago from a girl saying she wanted to make a rez but wanted to be sure we were located in town? Putting 2 + 2 together now... Other people had that call, the number on the CID was identified as a valid TA phone number. Did the same people who got that call end up with a TA phone number on their listing?
https://www.innspiring.com/node/13242
I did not get that call but I did update our TA listing to secure the Bronze level as a Green Leader. Perhaps TA is putting their number on any listing that is updated.....something to think about before you do a management response or update your TA listing.
Silverspoon said:
I did not get that call but I did update our TA listing to secure the Bronze level as a Green Leader. Perhaps TA is putting their number on any listing that is updated.....something to think about before you do a management response or update your TA listing.
Nope. They have come on PAII and said that it's an experiment. These numbers are appearing on free listings like mine. They are trying to convince us to pay for their expensive listing. They think when we get all these calls that start with the recording, "this is from TripAdvisor" that we will be so impressed with all the calls that we'll rush out and pay the big bucks for the listing.
What they don't know is that inns like me do 100% of our bookings online. And all I have gotten is three calls asking for a Saturday night one night stay which is wasting my time on the phone explaining to them that ttwe require a two night stay. Experiment not working!
Riki

Still looking for an explanation for the TA number posted on our listing. No answers yet..
Possibly related to the phone call I had a couple of weeks ago from a girl saying she wanted to make a rez but wanted to be sure we were located in town? Putting 2 + 2 together now... Other people had that call, the number on the CID was identified as a valid TA phone number. Did the same people who got that call end up with a TA phone number on their listing?
Silverspoon said:
Nope. They have come on PAII and said that it's an experiment. These numbers are appearing on free listings like mine. They are trying to convince us to pay for their expensive listing. They think when we get all these calls that start with the recording, "this is from TripAdvisor" that we will be so impressed with all the calls that we'll rush out and pay the big bucks for the listing.
What they don't know is that inns like me do 100% of our bookings online. And all I have gotten is three calls asking for a Saturday night one night stay which is wasting my time on the phone explaining to them that ttwe require a two night stay. Experiment not working!
Riki
I know what you mean. We don't do our bookings on line but we want guests to go to our web site to get a feeling for the place before calling. It really cuts down on the calls because we are a small niche B+B that will not appeal to someone just looking for a place to rest their head for a night. Yesterday I got a call through TA from someone who obviously had no idea what we were about....wanted to know if we had two beds in a room (no we do not) and if someone could sleep on the floor (absolutely not). I'm sure she never saw our rates or descriptions/pictures of the suites that are on our web site. Just a waste of my time!!!

Silverspoon said:
Riki
Amen!

Silverspoon said:
Riki
I know what you mean. We don't do our bookings on line but we want guests to go to our web site to get a feeling for the place before calling. It really cuts down on the calls because we are a small niche B+B that will not appeal to someone just looking for a place to rest their head for a night. Yesterday I got a call through TA from someone who obviously had no idea what we were about....wanted to know if we had two beds in a room (no we do not) and if someone could sleep on the floor (absolutely not). I'm sure she never saw our rates or descriptions/pictures of the suites that are on our web site. Just a waste of my time!!!
Silverspoon said:
First I am NOT endorsing what they are doing! But, I do want to say that they CALLED - they were interested by what they saw on TA & the reviews. The number provided easy access to you to get answers. TA is banking that most people are not wanting to go through any effort to search for your contact info or website - I am hoping they are wrong but the bigger they get the harder it may be to avoid it.

Just called (866-322-5942, option 1)...was told that the number would be removed.
Edited to add: It took 24 hours but the number was removed.

Silverspoon said:
Riki
Silverspoon said:
First I am NOT endorsing what they are doing! But, I do want to say that they CALLED - they were interested by what they saw on TA & the reviews. The number provided easy access to you to get answers. TA is banking that most people are not wanting to go through any effort to search for your contact info or website - I am hoping they are wrong but the bigger they get the harder it may be to avoid it.
copperhead said:
Silverspoon said:
The calls I got were worthless - wanting a one night Saturday stay. I don't have time for these kinds of phone calls. We direct everyone to online booking only. My afternoons are taken up with wine tours. This is doing me no good whatsoever, besides giving out an incorrect number. What about when they take these numbers down!
Riki

Silverspoon said:
Riki
Silverspoon said:
copperhead said:
Silverspoon said:
The calls I got were worthless - wanting a one night Saturday stay. I don't have time for these kinds of phone calls. We direct everyone to online booking only. My afternoons are taken up with wine tours. This is doing me no good whatsoever, besides giving out an incorrect number. What about when they take these numbers down!
Riki
Riki, Call the number I posted and request that the number they put on your listing be removed. TA was very nice about removing it without a lot of hassle. I did receive a follow up call from their marketing person, someone who tries to sell me a BL every year. We have gotten to know each other pretty well because we talk every year. I tell her the same thing every time. We want calls and inquiries from people who make reservations. We do not get those reservations from TA even though we are #1 in our town and in the top 5% of our region. If people find us on TA they are forced to go to our web site where they see our rates and get a feeling for what we do. If they are interested, they call. They can not just pick up the phone and call the number on our TA listing to waste my time with simple questions.

Silverspoon said:
Riki
Silverspoon said:
copperhead said:
Silverspoon said:
Riki
Riki, Call the number I posted and request that the number they put on your listing be removed. TA was very nice about removing it without a lot of hassle. I did receive a follow up call from their marketing person, someone who tries to sell me a BL every year. We have gotten to know each other pretty well because we talk every year. I tell her the same thing every time. We want calls and inquiries from people who make reservations. We do not get those reservations from TA even though we are #1 in our town and in the top 5% of our region. If people find us on TA they are forced to go to our web site where they see our rates and get a feeling for what we do. If they are interested, they call. They can not just pick up the phone and call the number on our TA listing to waste my time with simple questions.
I called today and they said it will be gone in 24 hours - but then I will not have any phone number there to which I replied fine with me.

I just got the live person call. They said they will put MY number up for the remainder of the trial period if that is OK. I said if it is MY number I do not care but if it requires a donation from my checking account it is NOT happening. She told me I had over 70 referrals to my web sit from TA in the last month. I fine, I can check that out right now. "How" I just happen to have a tracking program on my site. "Oh, it is not track-able from TA"
HmmmmIf it is not track-able to my web site from T A, they can toss out any number and it is strange that everyone else is track-able. I think they are handing people a lot of bull. IF I want another directory, I can get a good one for less than T A wants. I think they would be a lot more credible if they could show real stats - like allow YOUR trackers to pick up hits from TA much like G allows - then I could see what actually comes from them.

Just called (866-322-5942, option 1)...was told that the number would be removed.
Edited to add: It took 24 hours but the number was removed..
I will say they did not want to remove the number when I called.

She tried to talk me out of it but I said I want no number other than mine displayed. I wonder how many calls directly to my number they are going to try to claim. Will not matter - I am not entering ito a vendor/client relationship.

Silverspoon said:
Riki
Silverspoon said:
copperhead said:
Silverspoon said:
Riki
Silverspoon said:
I did, thanks! They can't believe that I don't care that I don't have a number listed. They didn't understand all my bookings are done online. If I get phone calls, they usually are asking if my policies apply to them or not, since those folks are "special"....
Riki

She tried to talk me out of it but I said I want no number other than mine displayed. I wonder how many calls directly to my number they are going to try to claim. Will not matter - I am not entering ito a vendor/client relationship.
I called yesterday and talked to Mike. He said that the number will be there for 1 month then nothing. I hate to say it but the calls I got from them just proves that I'm not a good fit to have them. I think my guest goo gle lodging in my area then maybe check us out on TA.

I called yesterday and talked to Mike. He said that the number will be there for 1 month then nothing. I hate to say it but the calls I got from them just proves that I'm not a good fit to have them. I think my guest goo gle lodging in my area then maybe check us out on TA.
Ice, if you really want the number removed you should call "Mike" back and tell him to remove it.

I was told that no one will write that number down and try to call us back after the month is up. It's amazing the disconnect between the generations... Because why would anyone write anything down when they can just go back to the same spot and look it up?
Why would anyone use a AAA book from 2000 and expect the prices to be the same?
Why would an employee call me to say she's sick if I would just give her my cell number so she can text?
Why would anyone show up 2 hours early and try to check in? Sigh... gotta go...

I just got the live person call. They said they will put MY number up for the remainder of the trial period if that is OK. I said if it is MY number I do not care but if it requires a donation from my checking account it is NOT happening. She told me I had over 70 referrals to my web sit from TA in the last month. I fine, I can check that out right now. "How" I just happen to have a tracking program on my site. "Oh, it is not track-able from TA"
HmmmmIf it is not track-able to my web site from T A, they can toss out any number and it is strange that everyone else is track-able. I think they are handing people a lot of bull. IF I want another directory, I can get a good one for less than T A wants. I think they would be a lot more credible if they could show real stats - like allow YOUR trackers to pick up hits from TA much like G allows - then I could see what actually comes from them..
gillumhouse said:
HmmmmIf it is not track-able to my web site from T A, they can toss out any number and it is strange that everyone else is track-able. I think they are handing people a lot of bull. IF I want another directory, I can get a good one for less than T A wants. I think they would be a lot more credible if they could show real stats - like allow YOUR trackers to pick up hits from TA much like G allows - then I could see what actually comes from them.
If you don't have a biz listing, there is no link for your site on TA. No link means you can't track how many people went from TA to your website.

HmmmmIf it is not track-able to my web site from T A, they can toss out any number and it is strange that everyone else is track-able. I think they are handing people a lot of bull. IF I want another directory, I can get a good one for less than T A wants. I think they would be a lot more credible if they could show real stats - like allow YOUR trackers to pick up hits from TA much like G allows - then I could see what actually comes from them..
gillumhouse said:
If you don't have a biz listing, there is no link for your site on TA. No link means you can't track how many people went from TA to your website.
That was my point - they can tell me any number they want that went to my site from T A and I have no way to prove them wrong. Perhaps rather than the dummy phone number, a link would have been better because we CAN see that to know it is real. Pulling unproveable numbers out of nowhere does not convince me of anything.

gillumhouse said:
That was my point - they can tell me any number they want that went to my site from T A and I have no way to prove them wrong. Perhaps rather than the dummy phone number, a link would have been better because we CAN see that to know it is real. Pulling unproveable numbers out of nowhere does not convince me of anything.
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif

Back