ResKey Tips

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Just discovered a ResKey feature.
The ResKey contact form that guests fill in when they register online has space for guests to enter TWO people's names, like husband and wife. Then there's a variable {{guestsfirstnames}} you can plug into your e-mail templates so the e-mails will say "Dear Rob and Betty" if they entered both names when they registered.
But both name fields have the same labels by default, as
First Name...Last Name
First Name...Last Name
...and some people put their name in twice out of confusion, so we end up with e-mails starting out "Dear Rob and Rob".
John told me about how to change these labels to anything you want (Edit the reservation page and down in the Reservation Form section select Custom and make your changes).
I changed the second name label to "Additional First Name".
Also, down where it lets people fill in their expected check-in time, we've been having people put like 11 a.m. there, which is way before earliest time we allow. So I edited that label to say "Check-In Time (3 p.m. or after)".
Finally, down in the mailing address text box the default label is just "Mailing Address" and some people just give their street. I've edited that label to now say, "Mailing Address, City, State, Zip" to try to get them to give us the complete address.
In this same section you can use checkboxes to remove some fields form the form if you don't want them, and to make them required. Like, I've set mine now to REQUIRE a mailing address.

Aren't you a wealth of great information today. I will have to remember this thread when I get ready to take reservations.

Arkie, I changed mine to day "Billing Address" as I want the address that corresponds to their CC.
I love the way this system is user friendly, so many things you can change to make it work better for your business, not all canned - take it the way it is or not at all.

Arkie, I changed mine to day "Billing Address" as I want the address that corresponds to their CC.
I love the way this system is user friendly, so many things you can change to make it work better for your business, not all canned - take it the way it is or not at all..
copperhead said:
I changed mine to day "Billing Address" as I want the address that corresponds to their CC.
Excellent point! That's the address we're really intersted in!

Are any dog-friendly B&B's here using ResKey? If so, any tips for setting it up to limit dogs to dog-friendly rooms and to apply an extra charge (mine is per dog per visit)? Thanks.

We charge $10 per night, per pet, for our riverside cottages. I've set it up as follows. It's a but clumsy, but people seem to work it out and get the right info added.
Under website tab/items for sale:
Title: Pet (per pet, per night):
Description: Small pets are welcome. An additional $10 per night fee is charged for each pet you bring. To register your pet(s), check the Pet(s) checkbox to the left above, and to the right above select the number of pets times the number of nights you're booking. For example, if you were bringing 1 pet for 3 nights, you'd set the number selector to three (1 x 3). If you were bringing 2 pets for 2 nights, you'd set the number selector to four (2 x 2) to correctly calculate the cost of bringing the pets.

Primary Photo (none)
Additional Photos/Files (None uploaded.)
Display: All on Reservation Page
Type: Item For Sale Package
Price: 10 $
Ask Quantity: Yes
Taxable: Yes
Start Day
End Day
Recurs Yearly: No
Sort Order: 1

We charge $10 per night, per pet, for our riverside cottages. I've set it up as follows. It's a but clumsy, but people seem to work it out and get the right info added.
Under website tab/items for sale:
Title: Pet (per pet, per night):
Description: Small pets are welcome. An additional $10 per night fee is charged for each pet you bring. To register your pet(s), check the Pet(s) checkbox to the left above, and to the right above select the number of pets times the number of nights you're booking. For example, if you were bringing 1 pet for 3 nights, you'd set the number selector to three (1 x 3). If you were bringing 2 pets for 2 nights, you'd set the number selector to four (2 x 2) to correctly calculate the cost of bringing the pets.

Primary Photo (none)
Additional Photos/Files (None uploaded.)
Display: All on Reservation Page
Type: Item For Sale Package
Price: 10 $
Ask Quantity: Yes
Taxable: Yes
Start Day
End Day
Recurs Yearly: No
Sort Order: 1.
Thanks Arkansawyer! If I have to switch to ResKey, it's good to know a workaround.
I wish they handled pets the way my current system does. Guests have to indicate number of adults, number of children, and number of pets (zero being an option, too). If guests indicate pets, they only see pet-friendly available rooms. Makes it hard for guests to show up with a dog and say "I didn't know I had to tell you". Important since we don't allow pets in most of our rooms.

Arkansawyer said:
Just discovered a ResKey feature.
The ResKey contact form that guests fill in when they register online has space for guests to enter TWO people's names, like husband and wife. Then there's a variable {{guestsfirstnames}} you can plug into your e-mail templates so the e-mails will say "Dear Rob and Betty" if they entered both names when they registered.
But both name fields have the same labels by default, as
First Name...Last Name
First Name...Last Name
...and some people put their name in twice out of confusion, so we end up with e-mails starting out "Dear Rob and Rob".
John told me about how to change these labels to anything you want (Edit the reservation page and down in the Reservation Form section select Custom and make your changes).
I changed the second name label to "Additional First Name".
Also, down where it lets people fill in their expected check-in time, we've been having people put like 11 a.m. there, which is way before earliest time we allow. So I edited that label to say "Check-In Time (3 p.m. or after)".
Finally, down in the mailing address text box the default label is just "Mailing Address" and some people just give their street. I've edited that label to now say, "Mailing Address, City, State, Zip" to try to get them to give us the complete address.
In this same section you can use checkboxes to remove some fields form the form if you don't want them, and to make them required. Like, I've set mine now to REQUIRE a mailing address.
I've been having some trouble with some of my mandatory fields not being filled out, but the system allowing the reservation to go through. John seems to be clueless as to why it's doing it. It could be that certain browsers are affecting how this information validates. This is bothersome, because may times the information I need to process the credit card is being processed with the deposit, but not being trapped for future transactions. I haven't had the problem lately, so maybe he's fixed it.

I accidently combined two reservations. Is there any way to un-combine them?.
Cancel them and rebook it. The guest info should be still in the system.
The problem I had was I accidentally combined 2 different people. What I was left with was a mishmash of the two of them and no credit card info. I cancelled the reservation, and manually re-entered the new one, but now I have no credit card info (it didn't combine, it just went away) and the older reservation of "Mr. Adam Jones" still has the cancelled reservation of "Mr. James Jones".
It's not a big deal, just couldn't figure out if I could undo it.

Back