Responding to negative reviews

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were actually 2 "destination experts" participating in this discussion. So far no other posts have appeared, but I'll keep an eye on it. Those people are so full of themselves, and I find that they post about places and properties THEY like and not what the original poster is really looking for.
Here's a perfect example of how important Google alerts can be. The last surprise I had with the alerts is when we were named one of the top 10 hotels in our state by an online site I'd never heard of. But you can be sure I used that for some PR!
Thanks everyone for your support. Getting it reposted has made my day!.
I've noticed those destination 'experts' regularly push guests away from my whole town. 'You don't want to go there, go here instead.' And it does seem to be based on how many times you respond to questions about a particular area. Sometimes they are correct, the guest has specific requirements that won't be met here. A lot of times it's the same person who just doesn't like this town.
A lot of times it's the same person who just doesn't like this town.
I find this as well in my area... if it isn't the town its the attractions or restaurants. Those 'experts' sometimes bug the cr*p out of me with their comments. TA should make note of what constitutes an 'expert'.
copperhead said:
I find this as well in my area... if it isn't the town its the attractions or restaurants. Those 'experts' sometimes bug the cr*p out of me with their comments. TA should make note of what constitutes an 'expert'.
I think they let anyone who is willing to post to sign up as an expert. I think I recall seeing links on the website where you can go to sign up as one. That's why you have these problems. No requirements, not much "vetting".
RIki
RIki

regular_smile.gif
you get to be an expert buy volume of posts its that simple. I have a neighbour who is classed as an expert who uses it to promote her B&B, our town and local attractions as part of her PR and marketing and does it in a classy way. I do my bit when I can as sometimes people struggle for things to do for children here. So that is something to consider everyone to use our huge local knowlege for good!

There were actually 2 "destination experts" participating in this discussion. So far no other posts have appeared, but I'll keep an eye on it. Those people are so full of themselves, and I find that they post about places and properties THEY like and not what the original poster is really looking for.
Here's a perfect example of how important Google alerts can be. The last surprise I had with the alerts is when we were named one of the top 10 hotels in our state by an online site I'd never heard of. But you can be sure I used that for some PR!
I've noticed those destination 'experts' regularly push guests away from my whole town. 'You don't want to go there, go here instead.' And it does seem to be based on how many times you respond to questions about a particular area. Sometimes they are correct, the guest has specific requirements that won't be met here. A lot of times it's the same person who just doesn't like this town.
copperhead said:
I think they let anyone who is willing to post to sign up as an expert. I think I recall seeing links on the website where you can go to sign up as one. That's why you have these problems. No requirements, not much "vetting".
RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
copperhead said:
RIki
RIki
No that is not how it works:
www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_destination_experts_are_chosen Destination experts are chosen based on their contributions to our forums. We look for people who are friendly, offer good advice, and respond to many different topics on a regular basis. Members who meet our qualifications are invited to become destination experts by e-mail.
www.tripadvisor.com/help/who_are_the_destination_experts_on_the_forums Destination experts.... are regular contributors who exemplify the best of our forums, giving helpful, friendly advice ... are passionate about the destinations they represent. Whether resident locals or frequent visitors, they have up-to-date knowledge of what's going on in their destinations.

copperhead said:
RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
copperhead said:
RIki
RIki
No that is not how it works:
www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_destination_experts_are_chosen Destination experts are chosen based on their contributions to our forums. We look for people who are friendly, offer good advice, and respond to many different topics on a regular basis. Members who meet our qualifications are invited to become destination experts by e-mail.
www.tripadvisor.com/help/who_are_the_destination_experts_on_the_forums Destination experts.... are regular contributors who exemplify the best of our forums, giving helpful, friendly advice ... are passionate about the destinations they represent. Whether resident locals or frequent visitors, they have up-to-date knowledge of what's going on in their destinations.
I keep seeing links "do you want to sign up to be and expert for your location"
RIki

Back