Response to a guest's email

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
After today's email newsletter went out, I received a reply from a guest commenting on how they would love to come and visit but are now 'gainfully unemployed'. Would you respond back to this or not?

I think the purpose of the email was to subtly hint at a possibility of a discount and not just to remain on the email list or to share life events.

I agree with SS. It never hurts to keep the lines of communitcation open. In the meantime, can you put a price on goodwill??

I think the purpose of the email was to subtly hint at a possibility of a discount and not just to remain on the email list or to share life events..
sorry no discounts because they are unemployed. if you did that for everyone, you would soon be unable to pay your bills:-( Send them a nice note as per SS.

Can you add me to your email newsletter list? I would like to get it to see what is up where you are as well. Thank you.

Thanks all! My first reaction was to write, which I did, and then I erased it and decided to ask here. I would just say pretty much what SS did. I did not take it as a plea for reduced rates. We've had other guests cancel due to lost jobs and it's not just the price of the room. They also cannot afford the plane or the car rental or the meals out either.

Can you add me to your email newsletter list? I would like to get it to see what is up where you are as well. Thank you..
Joe Bloggs said:
Can you add me to your email newsletter list? I would like to get it to see what is up where you are as well. Thank you.
Sure. I'll forward this one to you and add you for the next one.

I agree with SS. Sounds like they had a nice time at your place previously and want to maintain a connection. They will probably be back when they are employed.

yes! my first instinct would be to respond. 'i was so sorry to hear your news. i hope you will be able to visit some time in the future because i certainly enjoyed having you here. in the meantime, do you want to continue to receive our email newsletters?' tailored of course with how much, how well, you know the guest(s). their reaching out to you implies to me a desire to share. ?

they must feel quite comfortable with you in order to state their reason for not being able to visit right now. reason i say this is because sometimes people are embarassed when they lose their job. i think they were just simply making a comment. i don't feel there was necessarily any sort of ulterior motive when mentioning they are now unemployed. i vote for keeping in contact with them
thumbs_up.gif

I also agree with SS. Just a short little note hoping they find a job soon.
FYI, we've had 3 cancellations in the last month because people have lost their jobs.

I agree. I don't think I could NOT respond to an email, especially if it's from someone who had stayed with me previously. (scams not included)

Back