response to bad review on TA?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
what is, in your opinion(s) the best tack to take when hit with a bad review on TA?
  • ignore it and hope it gets buried
  • respond in kind (you're an idiot, too, and we hopr you don't come back)
  • lengthy response covering every possible point?
  • only cover what is 'factual' and avoid any mention of personality quirks the reviewer mentioned about you?
  • short response not addressed to the reviewer but addressed to the next guest who reads the review?
we've only had one review that i thought required a response from us. it was a rant about a policy and then skewed off into a rant about the innkeeper's personality. "you should never have become an innkeeper, you suck." we only responded to the policy piece and let the guest's volatility speak for itself. all of their other reviews of many other places were similar so they just were not a happy crowd.
of course we have have read reviews for places we have gone and have sometimes found that the worst reviews are the real reviews, at least in out experience of the same place. but some places have a bad review ant the innkeeper posts a treatise in response. given my response was about 3 lines, i wondered about how other innkeepers feel about replying to reviewers?
as a future guest, what do you think when you see a lengthy response to a short review? does not having a managment response make youwonder about the innkeepers more than a short or long response? what do you do?

I would respond to any review that is 3 stars or lower. I have had only one that is 3 stars and the others have been 4 or 5. I think it is important for the innkeeper to respond to them but the innkeeper should wait and compose themselves so they aren't so angry. Give it a few days to cool down and think about it. I think TA only gives you one shot at a management response. It can be very upsetting especially if they are talking about your personality. When responding to the review I wouldn't tell the guest they are an idiot and hope they don't come back but try to be on a positive note about things. I think if you say that the guest is an idiot and you hope they don't come back you are stooping to their level. I think the review should be kept professional because that will be a reflection of you to other potential guests. I do have an example of a response I wrote if you are interested.

I agree... wait a few days to compose yourself and your message.
I responded to a 4 star... but not until I thought long and hard about what I wanted to say. They were generally happy but took issue with water pressure, lack of parking, and mentioned possible noise. I figured out the water problem (finally!), and posted something like, we're glad you enjoyed the stay, we found the water problem and fixed it, we're sorry we neglected to point out the four parking spaces... No name calling, no, golly, ya' coulda asked us, no comment on the noise either way.
=)
Kk.

There are pros and cons in writing a response and if you do choose to respond, how you do so can be eitther more damaging or can at least soften the blow. If there was something that was 'broken' or needed repair - respond by saying thank you for bringing this to our attention...and state if the matter has been fixed - (like Yellowsocks did)
You must wait until you have calmed down - any negative words hit deep to an innkeeper that puts their all out for their guests. Sit down and write a response, then wait, read it then revise or start over...after 2 or 3 revisions let someone you feel will be open and honest with you read it. If they tell you that this will soften the bad review then post, otherwise either start over or let the post get burried by other raving reviews. Just remember the song - One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch...
Personally I would not consider reponding to a review unless they were very damaging - responding to a 3 or a 4 star makes no sence to me as some people just have very high standards for the star levels. Responding to these could stop others from posting a review even if it was going to be very nice. Well, after some thought I guess it would depend on what the response was.
I recall this being discussed in another thread recently (was a thread about TA) and I believe someone posted that when a place has all 5's, it provides more doubts than when one has some 4's and 3's dabbled in the mix providing a good balance.... of course the # of reviews play a role too.

Short and sweet. Kind words, not defensive. Lengthy diatribes make the reviewer shine and the owner out to be a nutjob.

Our one response was built around an apology that what they did not like had impacted them so profoundly, an opportunity to note that the others reviews they had done were ones and at least we got a two, and an opportunity to thank them for buying stuff from the local farmers, artists, and producers that we partner with.

Oh yeah- we actively ignored the personal insults. I agree that you should not go on too long, but it is an opportunity to get your message out about the things that you do that people like or the great services you offer.

Be factual and short & sweet. We respond to all reviews...that way if we should get a review that's relaly not in keeping with the other ones, it would not be seen as unusual that we responded to that review also. Plus, I like to let the reviewers know that I appreciated the fact that they took the time to post a review :)

I hate seeing an owner drone on and on to every nit picking thing. Just be short and to the point and factual and move on.

PS Wanted to add as a guest if I saw that I would not want to stay there, no matter how bad the review was, if the owner went on and on into paragraphs, I would not book it. I have seen some negative reviews where the owners response was so graceful that it actually made the reviewer look like a nit wit, so it actually was more endearing.
Remember our innkeeper on this forum with the so-called false review? Her answer was surprisingly sweet and to the point to the reviewer, which made all the difference in my mind.

PS Wanted to add as a guest if I saw that I would not want to stay there, no matter how bad the review was, if the owner went on and on into paragraphs, I would not book it. I have seen some negative reviews where the owners response was so graceful that it actually made the reviewer look like a nit wit, so it actually was more endearing.
Remember our innkeeper on this forum with the so-called false review? Her answer was surprisingly sweet and to the point to the reviewer, which made all the difference in my mind..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Remember our innkeeper on this forum with the so-called false review? Her answer was surprisingly sweet and to the point to the reviewer, which made all the difference in my mind.
I'm with you. If the innkeeper went on and on that would make me think the bad review was REAL. I would only answer short and sweet and only if it was something that was resolved or out of my control. Otherwise, I'd ignor it and hope it got buried.
Riki

I just noticed when you read a review on TA the reviewer name has a mouse over with # of reviews contributed and you can click that and read their other reviews. Interestingly enough I saw that when I read a negatory review and clicked on the reviewers other reviews they were all negatory, or the bulk of them were.
Is TA a place to gripe vs true input and reviews? Probably for some people who think they yield great power in their words.
I think this is very helpful...as a traveler when I see a terrible review I can click on that and see their other contributions and write them off in my mind and not give any weight to what they wrote.
I just read a negative review where the owner/innkeeper apologised to the guest for the guest not enjoying their place and it touched me. THAT was an excellent response. There was no where to go but to immediately like that innkeeper and think he was a top guy!
I feel this is what we need to do innkeeps, we need to not defend and try to correct the person. Even tho they were having a bad day or things were misconstrued.

I just noticed when you read a review on TA the reviewer name has a mouse over with # of reviews contributed and you can click that and read their other reviews. Interestingly enough I saw that when I read a negatory review and clicked on the reviewers other reviews they were all negatory, or the bulk of them were.
Is TA a place to gripe vs true input and reviews? Probably for some people who think they yield great power in their words.
I think this is very helpful...as a traveler when I see a terrible review I can click on that and see their other contributions and write them off in my mind and not give any weight to what they wrote.
I just read a negative review where the owner/innkeeper apologised to the guest for the guest not enjoying their place and it touched me. THAT was an excellent response. There was no where to go but to immediately like that innkeeper and think he was a top guy!
I feel this is what we need to do innkeeps, we need to not defend and try to correct the person. Even tho they were having a bad day or things were misconstrued..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Nail and hammer connected well here! I think you are right. Some people are negative by nature and they like having an audience or spreading the negativity. They choose to see the worst instead of the best. It colors everything they do. If the are looking for an insult, they will "see" them when none was intended. If they are looking for shortcomings, they will find them everywhere and try to convince other people that the shortcomings ruined their day or their trip.
It would be an awesome feature of tripAdvisor or any other site that offers reviews to give each reviewer an "aura" based on the tone of their reviews. Of course it would have to be on their numeric scores as it would be difficult to pull it from their written reviews. Someone with a white aura or positive score would always see everything as positive .... someone with a black aura or negative score would always review everthing negatively. Ideally as a person reading the reviews you'd give more credit or weight to the reviewers who were in the gray area in between.
Anyone with less than 3 reviews would have no aura as there would be too little data to base a meaningful average.

I feel this is what we need to do innkeeps, we need to not defend and try to correct the person. Even tho they were having a bad day or things were misconstrued..
Our bad review was done by someone like this and we politely noted their review history in our response.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Nail and hammer connected well here! I think you are right. Some people are negative by nature and they like having an audience or spreading the negativity. They choose to see the worst instead of the best. It colors everything they do. If the are looking for an insult, they will "see" them when none was intended. If they are looking for shortcomings, they will find them everywhere and try to convince other people that the shortcomings ruined their day or their trip.
It would be an awesome feature of tripAdvisor or any other site that offers reviews to give each reviewer an "aura" based on the tone of their reviews. Of course it would have to be on their numeric scores as it would be difficult to pull it from their written reviews. Someone with a white aura or positive score would always see everything as positive .... someone with a black aura or negative score would always review everthing negatively. Ideally as a person reading the reviews you'd give more credit or weight to the reviewers who were in the gray area in between.
Anyone with less than 3 reviews would have no aura as there would be too little data to base a meaningful average.
Cool. Can we have auras here?
Seriously, tho, what happens when you get the person who has an ax to grind against a particular place? They write their bad review, but under the same name they write a bunch of good ones to make the bad one look real?

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Seriously, tho, what happens when you get the person who has an ax to grind against a particular place? They write their bad review, but under the same name they write a bunch of good ones to make the bad one look real?
Bree said:
That is dispicable. (I have never typed out that word, I hoped I spelled it correctly).
I had a lovely first time B&B guest on her own here email to say she wrote a review for us. She didn't get much of an experience as she arrived late and left right after breakfast and had minor issues that I helped her solve that she so appreciated. It is kind of funny as we deal with these things all the time and she thought it was so amazing. Example, her automatic lens on her camera was broken so I gave her some tape to hold it open to take a photo of her in front here. Just little things.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
This operates on the assumption that people grinding axes aren't that smart nor committed ;)

We just had a 3 star review from a guest last week who stayed while we were out of town at the wedding. Basically she had booked 2 rooms for 2 nights on a Wednesday/Thursday and then at the last minute had to change to Thursday/Friday nights so we didn't have the same rooms available and she came in knowing she would have to change rooms.
Our innkeeper called me Friday morning (the day they were supposed to change rooms) saying the woman was unhappy, neither couple wanted the second room, etc. She said they were all very high maintenance, they hadn't eaten any breakfast (despite the special breakfast she had made them to accommodate their dietary needs) and seemed to be just "done" with our area in general and ready to move on. I told her they were welcome to check out but they were responsible for the full room rate, that we would try to re-sell it but if we couldn't they would get no refund.
When we got back to town I actually had ANOTHER guest who was here at the same time call me to say how much she enjoyed her stay and especially our innkeeper, and that she had witnessed this woman being very abusive to the innkeeper. Our innkeeper is a great fill-in for us, I know she handled the whole situation decourously but it was nice to hear it from the other guest.
At any rate, the 3 star TA review came yesterday and it says NOTHING about the charge, it does say why she didn't like the second room, but she basically says everything was "ok"...reading another review of hers (for an inn whose keeper I believe is on this forum!), she LIKED just about everything there but also gave them only 3 out of 5 stars!
Basically, I think her review sounds "cranky" and the overall tone conveys her personality...so I'm going to let it go and hope it gets buried quickly. I just don't feel like there's anything to respond to in the actual review.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
This operates on the assumption that people grinding axes aren't that smart nor committed ;)
Unfortunately those with axes to grind are the committed ones. Statistics show that a happy customer will generally tell no one, while an unhappy one will tell an average of 13 people. Can't remember where I read that but our experience bears it out.

Back