Rest of Ike

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
Yellowsocks, I know you are in my neck of the woods. I am wondering how you are faring in the wind storm. I know that all four roads that lead out of my valley are blocked with trees. We are losing shingles left and right. The wind blew tomatoes off the plants!!
And here we are in Maine, on vacation. I can't wait to see what we get home to.

I saw the news on Ike. My satellite dish gets the Houston news and Ike is the topic 24/7. The devastation is simply overwhelming. If that had hit us here in Miami, I'm confident I would have lost everything...everything! And if it had, it would have been a Cat 4. My thoughts and prayers to all affected.

Sanctuary, the interesting part about it now is that I live in Ohio. We are getting 60-70 mph wind gusts, trees are down all over, and NO RAIN.
I pray that all in TX can get their lives back in order soon....

I'm from Ohio! Wind scares the crap out of me ever since the Xenia tornado. I was home alone when it happened, and only 10 years old.

I remember the Xenia tornado! (Maybe we're about the same age...)
We were at the County Fair this afternoon when suddenly they announced they were closing the entire fair down at 4:30 due to wind. Wind warning in effect to midnight, sustained gusts of 50+ mph. As we went out to the car the storm had moved in... only the remants, and only the edges of the storm, and still very impressive. We came home, checked the weather, went down to our basement family room and watched a movie.
Our guests from Galveston are staying an extra night (I gave them a 50% discount and called it a "refugee rate"). They were at their daughter's house on the other side of town (a mile or two away) and report that the power is out over there. Our power is on, and the neighbor's tree held, so we're fine. Lots of branches down, though. When I checked the weather it showed the eye of the remnants of Ike over my cousin's house... in Southeastern Missouri, a 12 hour drive away!
Our guests are sure they've lost their car collection... they think the English one is on its way back to England. They own a storefront property in downtown Galveston. There was 7' of flooding there, so they figure probably 5' in the first floor. One side empty, but the small business on the other side is probably wiped out. They figure their sailboat and jet ski are history. They'll head south tomorrow and stay with relatives in Austin until they can go back home.
Not too much rain... but now I know what the "dirty side" is!
=)
Kk.

I'm from Ohio! Wind scares the crap out of me ever since the Xenia tornado. I was home alone when it happened, and only 10 years old..
Sanctuary in Miami said:
I'm from Ohio! Wind scares the crap out of me ever since the Xenia tornado. I was home alone when it happened, and only 10 years old.
Did you live in Xenia? I just looked it up... I turned 10 later that summer.
=)
Kk.

I'm from Ohio! Wind scares the crap out of me ever since the Xenia tornado. I was home alone when it happened, and only 10 years old..
Hey I am from OH too. I was living near Xenia when that tornado went through there. Still see the path today through the town where things were never rebuilt.

Hey I am from OH too. I was living near Xenia when that tornado went through there. Still see the path today through the town where things were never rebuilt.
catlady said:
Now unlike Indiana where the guests do not leave the state, Ohio folks travel. I had two this week from Columbus. I always say that to them. If you go to HHI or Myrtle Beach there is a collage of out of state plates, but 5 out of every 10 will say Ohio. You people get around!

I was right between Xenia and Fairborn. We had a music store in Xenia called "The Band Box" down on Main Street, so I spent a lot of time in the aftermath with my mother who was trying to salvage what she could from the store. I remember standing at the front door watching the sky that day and the noise - that sound - still frightens me to this day.
It's an eerie feeling, still to this day, to drive through Xenia, more than 30 years later, and still see driveways and walkways leading up to nothing on empty lots.
There are some things you go through that you never forget, right down to the smallest of details. My mother still has stacks of the newspapers from the days after that tornado. Like Hurricane Andrew put Homestead, FL on the map for everyone across the country; just after 4PM on April 3, 1974 that tornado put Xenia on the map. Every now and then, I see the story about it on the Weather Channel.

catlady said:
Now unlike Indiana where the guests do not leave the state, Ohio folks travel. I had two this week from Columbus. I always say that to them. If you go to HHI or Myrtle Beach there is a collage of out of state plates, but 5 out of every 10 will say Ohio. You people get around!
6 out of 10 will be from WV. Most of WV goes to Myrtle every year. Never been there myself.
In June 1944 the Shinnston Tornado as it is called, ripped through several counties. It is still listed as #14. It devastated the city, killed over 300 people, and left almost no family in this city untouched - just about everyone lost someone. After 24 years in tornado alley (Illinois) I do not miss the daily watches and warnings.

Xenia had another tornado rip thru a few years ago. Of course everyone drew the comparisons from that one in the 70s to the one a few years ago.
I am more in the north-central part of Ohio. We just got our power back on Friday. It had been out since Sunday afternoon.

Xenia had another tornado rip thru a few years ago. Of course everyone drew the comparisons from that one in the 70s to the one a few years ago.
I am more in the north-central part of Ohio. We just got our power back on Friday. It had been out since Sunday afternoon..
emspiers said:
I am more in the north-central part of Ohio. We just got our power back on Friday. It had been out since Sunday afternoon.
Hey! I'm in the north central part of Ohio! Did you tell me where you were? (Email me off forum, if you prefer!)
=)
Kk.

Back