Restaurant in Poland loses $10,000 to a Nigerian scammer

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulavery

Reaction score
Last night I received a call at my home number from a man named Mark. Mark is a british born citizen working as a head chef for a restaurant in Poland. The restaurant had fallen victim to the advance payment fraud. He said they had charged a credit card for $12,000 and had wired $10,000 to a name in Spain. After the scammer received the $10K he told them they had another group of 15 coming, so they needed to charge the card another $12,000 and send another $10K. The restaurant was at the bank preparing to send the second wire and fortunately the bank stopped them.
He had called me because we run an active forum about the advance payment fraud. The whole situation this chef and restaurant were in made me very sad. I felt for him. He was convinced that the police should/could do something. He was talking about wire taps etc. He had called Scottland Yard too, they offered no help.
It truely amazes me that people fall victim to this. Just wanted to share.

o brother ...
sad_smile.gif
that's an awful lot of money to wire ... and they weren't in the least suspicious and were going to do it AGAIN??! don't know what to say ....

I am with seashanty on this one...who could be that dumb to do it...twice???? Sorry if it was a friend of yours..but this makes no sense. You NEVER wire money back to someone!!! Obviously they never read or listen to the news :-(

Was not a friend of mine. Was suprised that he called me with the attitude that I might have answers. It boggles my mind that people fall for this, but they do.
I was thinking who could do a warning, and it seems to me that the credit card companies could....maybe they do/have. Anyone know?

Was not a friend of mine. Was suprised that he called me with the attitude that I might have answers. It boggles my mind that people fall for this, but they do.
I was thinking who could do a warning, and it seems to me that the credit card companies could....maybe they do/have. Anyone know?.
We regularly get this type of warning from our innkeepers' association. We had a phone call like this last year or the year before. They used the TTY calling system so we never knew who was calling. They wanted a big dinner delivered, etc. I kept telling them we don't do dinner and finally they hung up. But a few other people heard from them around the same time. And then we heard about a restaurant that got scammed via the same scenario.

Back