Restaurant list for guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
If you are like me you have compiled a list of restaurants for your guests. You may have it on your website, in a basket with menus, or in the rooms. etc
I had a chap call this evening and ask me which one I would choose between restaurant A and restaurant B? Bless his heart, I guess because I list them he assumes I have eaten at all of them, I haven't, of course. So telling him I have never eaten at either was a bit of a moot point, I just described the benefits of both (one is waterfront, one is mountain views) both have award winning chefs. One if a very windy road, both are the same distance from us.
Have you tried every restaurant you have shared with your guests down to the golden corrals and pizza joints?

Yes we have. . We don't have Golden correls. But we do have some wonderful pizza places. Great places to go for Tapas. Wonderful wineries with some awsome chef's. Most places we have suggested we have gone to. I don't feel right suggesting a place to eat if I have not eaten there myself. We check out all winerys that have open up Plus all the new resturants. What a hard job that is LOL But some one has to do it?!!!hahahah

No. We've been to every place in town but not every place within 30 miles. If guests are off to try some place we've never been to I'll ask them to bring back a menu if they liked it. But, no we can't go out every night to try everything.
And, I don't have the chains on my restaurant list. (Maybe I list McD's just because it's in an historic building.) Oh, and I have Johnny Rockets, B&J's & Starbucks because people ask about those. If someone is driving/flying this far from home and they want to eat at a chain, well, there's no accounting for taste.

Yes and No! The ones on my list that are here in town, yes. But the ones for the big city near us, no there are too many and my pockets are only so deep!
We do list a couple of chain places and say that if a chain is what you want, follow the map to this one and look around. There is no counting for taste and some are staying here because the big boxes were full... chains are all they look for in every regard!

We had tried all the restaurants within walking distance that were on our list. But not all the restaurants that we tried were on our list in our room books!
There were others that we had listed further afield that were "recommended" by reviews or that we had tried, and we had the chains listed. We listed the chains because there are people that find comfort in what they are used to despite trying to steer them to the local places.
I think JB handled it well....

I have a list of all the restaurants in Inverness which is produced by some business association.
I also have a list in the rooms which I produced of places we recommend and yes, we've tried them all. We make it our aim during the quieter winter months to try as many restaurants as we can, we have friends who like to eat out so we alternate evenings with them and us choosing places to try.
I only recommend restaurants to guests which we've been to or has been recommended to us by someone who's judgement we trust.
Having been makes it easier to make recommendations, the other day a couple just wanted simple pub grub, pie & mash, fish & chips, that sort of thing. Was able to recommend 3 places.

I have been to the ones in town and a few of the others but the deep pocket ones are reviewed by my City Manager - her husband takes her to nice places. I have the list on my web site. We have a new one in town that just opened. I will have to go there one nigh - it is a sports bar and restaurant. I know their pizza is good but have not had anything else. I had breakfast in the other new restaurant/sports center the other day. They do biscuits & gravy and croissants w/egg, bacon, & cheese, donuts, coffee & cappuchino. Lunch is burger & hot dog & a version of pepperoni rolls - very limited menu.

I would go bankrupt trying. I live in one of the world's cities with the most restaurants. I can name maybe 50 within a 10 minute walk of here. And that's only about a quarter of them. I keep a list in my head of good restaurants and famous restaurants in different neighbourhoods. I try as many as I can, but there are severe limits on time and money.

We don't live near large towns, so we've eaten at all or most of the restaurants in a 35 minute drive. If a new one pops up, we try to get there to try it. We call it 'research' on our taxes. LOL

We don't live near large towns, so we've eaten at all or most of the restaurants in a 35 minute drive. If a new one pops up, we try to get there to try it. We call it 'research' on our taxes. LOL.
Breakfast Diva said:
We don't live near large towns, so we've eaten at all or most of the restaurants in a 35 minute drive. If a new one pops up, we try to get there to try it. We call it 'research' on our taxes. LOL
We have never written off a single meal or a single trip no matter how much research we do. We HAVE to start doing that!

We don't live near large towns, so we've eaten at all or most of the restaurants in a 35 minute drive. If a new one pops up, we try to get there to try it. We call it 'research' on our taxes. LOL.
Breakfast Diva said:
We have never written off a single meal or a single trip no matter how much research we do. We HAVE to start doing that!
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
WooHoo! Guess you'll be going out a little more often! We figure we are justified if we visit each restaurant and declare it no more than once a year. You have to make sure their quality is maintained!
teeth_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
OMG I never thought of that.

Our town is so small, we have tried everything. Unfortunately for us, the choices are limited. The good news is there are a handfull of restaurants the we can recommend with out reservation because they offer good food, good service, and for some a unique experience.
Our list of recommendations is very short.

Well our restaurant on the corner is no longer open. No sign, nada, just closed. And now I update all the room restaurant lists, again.
And in other news guests from WV told me of a place that is the best ever about an hour from here, the website was the worst ever, but the food and atmosphere is the greatest.

Well our restaurant on the corner is no longer open. No sign, nada, just closed. And now I update all the room restaurant lists, again.
And in other news guests from WV told me of a place that is the best ever about an hour from here, the website was the worst ever, but the food and atmosphere is the greatest..
Where? You know I have a habit of getting around and I DO love good food!!!

And in other news guests from WV told me of a place that is the best ever about an hour from here, the website was the worst ever, but the food and atmosphere is the greatest..
gillumhouse said:
The Summit in Christiansburg.

gillumhouse said:
The Summit in Christiansburg.
I will remember that!

We have a list of restaurants that in the books in guest rooms that give a little synopsis of each restaurant. We have tried 99% of them. I have the chain restaurants listed seperately with their addresses without the synopsis since most people recognize the chains and know what kind of food they serve. The restaurant list is also In our confirmation email that we send out to guests as an attachment so people can do a little research before they arrive. Another reason why I love reservation key, they offer the option for attachments!
This also works out great for guests who arrive after 6 and get a note for self check in. We have some menus for the restaurants in a common area for guests to look at.

Back