Retiring the airpots

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon Inn

Reaction score
Well, at least going into storage. I used to use one large airpot in the guest area for morning coffee, now it’s one smaller thermal carafe per guest room. Time for the large ones to go into storage. Per earlier advice here I finally have some pretty individual thermal carafes on order. I even have a few really pretty smaller Alfis from EBay. Smaller, one liter for the individuals who request decaf.

We have both. Used to use the thermal carafes for smaller groups and airpots when we had a full house.
Airpots went into storage in March, and I don't expect we'll see them back for a while.

Have used Hamilton Beach brewstation for years, no carafe, grab a cup and push it under. Three types of sugar packets, single serve creamers and I cut colorful paper straws in half for stir sticks- I tell the guests to use a new cup for more if they wish. Works great so far!

Last edited:
We are down to making individual cups with a super automatic espresso maker. If they want to eat elsewhere (like their room), we make a pot with a stainless steel French Press, which is insulated.

We are down to making individual cups with a super automatic espresso maker. If they want to eat elsewhere (like their room), we make a pot with a stainless steel French Press, which is insulated.

Do you like your super espresso maker? I've been so tempted, but have a lot of lime in the water supply here. I love the insulated French Press, but don't use it here as there is only me to do many things. For days when I have time, just for me, I get out the Bialetti Moka Pot. From your description, I would love to wake up at your place!

We bought the Philips (Saeco) 2000 series, there are a few choices there. I think in the US this is called the Saeco XSmall. To simplify frothing, we got an automatic frother that is separate. Top button produces espresso (hit it twice and you get a double). The bottom produces Americano. It's a small machine, so you have to fill the water, beans and clear the grounds often. I would buy a bigger machine, if I was buying one today. Buy a machine with an integrated Brita filter, so you don't have to worry about the water. It goes at the bottom of the water tank.

What I really want (if I could afford to get it) is the Jura. They have a milk container (optional) that keeps the milk cold and ready. But Saeco has some nice machines with automatic frothers, like the Incanto that the CostClub sells for $880. It even has the "powder" option, where you can put preground coffee, so you can make a cup of decaf espresso, if you need to :)

We've also gone through a lot of bags of beans until we found ones that we really like. I don't like the "burnt" flavour some of the beans have. Lavazza Crema e Aroma works well, Ethical Bean Lush is the best we have had so far. The current "trend" is actually to use blond beans for espresso, for a move flavourful cup (rather than a strong bold cup.)

I love my Jura Impressa S90 espresso station. I make myself a mocha every day -- and espresso drinks for the guests willing to pony up an extra $3.

If you've got a particular unit in mind, my recommendation is to keep watching the resale sites (FB Marketplace, Craigstlist, etc.). We found this one at a restaurant auction on AuctionZip.com.
I paid $300 for it, and sent it to Jura for refurbishing which cost me $350 with shipping. So for $650 I got a machine that costs over $2,000 new.

Admittedly, I'm a coffee nut, so most people would think $650 for a coffee maker is insane. But every morning I just hit a button and it measures the beans, grinds them, mashes them, steams the water, pumps it though, fills my cup, and then dumps the beans. All with that one button-push. And with a little steamed milk and Hershey's syrup in the bottom of the mug, it's better than the $4 cups at Starbucks.

IMG_3973.jpg

Goodscout, did you buy the Cool Control?
We don't even charge extra for it. Should I mention that I do a triple each morning?

No, I didn't even know the Cool Control existed.
I actually cheat, and foam my milk using a Nespresso milk foamer rather than the old-school way. It's quieter, which now that I think of it, probably keeps me from selling more espresso drinks since guests in the dining room don't hear it and get a craving.

maybe you can play the sound off a recording
:);)
I had music cd's with ocean surf in the background. I played them because I liked them - windchimes, music and an OCCASIONAL seagull or fog horn. There were no waves in the harbor but many people commented on how great it was to hear the harbor sounds

No, I didn't even know the Cool Control existed.
I actually cheat, and foam my milk using a Nespresso milk foamer rather than the old-school way. It's quieter, which now that I think of it, probably keeps me from selling more espresso drinks since guests in the dining room don't hear it and get a craving.

I use the foamer as well, but I've actually seen the quality of the foam and the foamer isn't as good. I lust after microbubbles... I must admit.

You can add the cool control, on most Jura machines.

I use the foamer as well, but I've actually seen the quality of the foam and the foamer isn't as good. I lust after microbubbles... I must admit.

You can add the cool control, on most Jura machines.
Been a while since I wrote to this thread, but we updated from our S90 and you might be interested, Generic.
Our new baby is a Jury E8. The microfoam is probably just what you lust for. Me, I'm not a huge fan of foam, so I still use my Netspresso milk steamer. But when guests want cappuccinos or flat whites with that creamy foam, this model nails it.
Bonus points: The milk frothing system is self-cleaning.
IMG_8992.jpg

I'm retiring Nespresso and switching to L'Or. Great and a good deal cheaper.

Back