Review sites to be influential in planning process

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Research from @PhoCusWright shows that more than 2 out of 3 travelers find review sites to be influential in planning process.
also from Trip Advisor
Three primary factors in the TripAdvisor popularity index: the quantity, quality, and recentness of traveler reviews.
and from TA
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]Travelers spend more time on TripAdvisor pages that have a lot of photos; owners & managers can upload an unlimited amount.[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)] [/COLOR]
CURRENT REVIEWS!

Hotel Business magazine has an article (they don't do an online version) which states that only 1 in 5 trust official rating systems according to new rescearch from Jetsetter.co.uk. It shows that nearly half of holiday makers say they have been let down by the star rating of a hotel and that the rating did not reflect the quality of the stay. However on the plus side the research showed people were 59% willing to spend more on quality accommodation and cut back a bit on other areas. It also states that people feel sites like tripadviser are not fulfilling consumer needs with just 19% saying they trusted reviews 100%. Typical complaints are they didn't like the anonymity of reviewers with 13% not trusting who has written the comments and almost 20% not trusting reviews without knowing if the review writer shared their own travel preferences and tastes.

Hotel Business magazine has an article (they don't do an online version) which states that only 1 in 5 trust official rating systems according to new rescearch from Jetsetter.co.uk. It shows that nearly half of holiday makers say they have been let down by the star rating of a hotel and that the rating did not reflect the quality of the stay. However on the plus side the research showed people were 59% willing to spend more on quality accommodation and cut back a bit on other areas. It also states that people feel sites like tripadviser are not fulfilling consumer needs with just 19% saying they trusted reviews 100%. Typical complaints are they didn't like the anonymity of reviewers with 13% not trusting who has written the comments and almost 20% not trusting reviews without knowing if the review writer shared their own travel preferences and tastes..
Hotel Business magazine has an article (they don't do an online version) which states that only 1 in 5 trust official rating systems according to new rescearch from Jetsetter.co.uk. It shows that nearly half of holiday makers say they have been let down by the star rating of a hotel and that the rating did not reflect the quality of the stay.
Official rating systems being something like Fodor's or Frommer's or AAA (here)? Or government rating systems like health dept ratings or your tourism association ratings? Or association ratings like state innkeeper association ratings?

I don't know if it means world wide but in the UK we can pay if we choose to, to be rated by Visit Britain or the AA they are the ones who give out say 5 star hotel ratings.

I don't think it means things like froders or fromers as they actually come out and stay with you.

I don't think it means things like froders or fromers as they actually come out and stay with you..
On our guest questionnaire 6% of respondents say that our 4 star rating was an influential factor in their choosing to stay with us.
I pointed this out to the man from visit Scotland last time we had an inspection, he said nothing.
VS should have ratings and guest reviews but they're useless. They started their own review site about 4 years ago, well after TA was established. They went to all the cost of developing this site and then expected businesses to pay £40 a year to be on it. Needless to say it flopped, all that development money wasted and as a consequence VS are finding themselves increasingly irrelevant.

I don't think it means things like froders or fromers as they actually come out and stay with you..
On our guest questionnaire 6% of respondents say that our 4 star rating was an influential factor in their choosing to stay with us.
I pointed this out to the man from visit Scotland last time we had an inspection, he said nothing.
VS should have ratings and guest reviews but they're useless. They started their own review site about 4 years ago, well after TA was established. They went to all the cost of developing this site and then expected businesses to pay £40 a year to be on it. Needless to say it flopped, all that development money wasted and as a consequence VS are finding themselves increasingly irrelevant.
they are talking about a tourist tax in Edinburgh and I know birmingham are talking about it should we UK people be worried?

One thing that I believe may helpful with TA reviews are the contributor tags they give to individuals that contribute alot to TA.
Over time people will find that reviews by these contributors outweigh the single contributor where the reviewer is either giving an overwelmingly outstanding or negative review.

Back