Review That Bugs My .....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Got a nasty review today 3 out of 5. What bugs me the most.... they actually OUT us.
Also they write that we didn't change towels (they weren't on the floor, they weren't changed). And we straighten up the bed if it's clear, but we do not "remake" the bed. A lot of personal jabs too. I just need to vent.
Does TA actually let people OUT others? (Not that I'm closeted, but it's very personal... should it be part of a review?)

OK, just read the review. Because other guests mention the hosts as 'two guys' I think most everyone reading the reviews gets you're not brothers. So, their saying, 'Hey BTW, in case you didn't know and you really want to know because, like, it might bother you (like it did us), the hosts are a gay couple.' (Yes, I did use a little license there, but I think that's what THEY were getting at.)
The comment about the housekeeping you can address if you want to. The part about the stalking is where I think the guests in question are coming out of their own closet.
I wouldn't complain to TA, I'd write a response or even let it go. Your other reviews certainly do not contain any other comments like that so it could stand as a notice to other guests that, yeah, we get some guests who don't agree with our lifestyle, but hey, that's their problem not ours.
If you decide to address the housekeeping you can certainly explain your 'reduce, reuse' policy of only washing towels that are in the shower and that you do not touch the guests' belongings and therefore could not completely remake the bed, but did tidy up a bit.
I avoid commenting on personal attacks like calling someone a stalker. It's obvious that you were not their cup of tea, but you certainly seem to be doing well with everyone else. So, it's more about them than you if you say nothing.

I'm sorry to hear that, it sounds pretty inappropriate. Narrow minds like to gossip. I'd like to hear what TA has to say about that.

I'm pretty sure guests can say whatever they like on TA... But nasty, nasty folks indeed. Sympathies & a pat on the back for all of your hard work!
Amended to add, that we always comment (use our "great privilege" that TA give us-lol) with a manager's response on TA. If only to state, "Thank you for taking the time to ... blah, blah..." & write a professional, courteous reply (even if you prefer to say other things) so that it appears to those reading that you ARE the professional & have taken the high road & have addressed the review (even if you can't actually address much of anything & choose not to address things like the "stalker" comments). Again, it just justifies your position as an educated, professional & demonstrates that you are aware of everything in your business environment & respond accordingly & respectfully.

Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. Address the towels and housekeeping issue if you feel you must. But, I would just let it slide. Reading it from a potential guest point of view, I read it as someone who was uncomfortable for themselves, in their own skin. I would say that them "outing" you is their issue not yours. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

OK, just read the review. Because other guests mention the hosts as 'two guys' I think most everyone reading the reviews gets you're not brothers. So, their saying, 'Hey BTW, in case you didn't know and you really want to know because, like, it might bother you (like it did us), the hosts are a gay couple.' (Yes, I did use a little license there, but I think that's what THEY were getting at.)
The comment about the housekeeping you can address if you want to. The part about the stalking is where I think the guests in question are coming out of their own closet.
I wouldn't complain to TA, I'd write a response or even let it go. Your other reviews certainly do not contain any other comments like that so it could stand as a notice to other guests that, yeah, we get some guests who don't agree with our lifestyle, but hey, that's their problem not ours.
If you decide to address the housekeeping you can certainly explain your 'reduce, reuse' policy of only washing towels that are in the shower and that you do not touch the guests' belongings and therefore could not completely remake the bed, but did tidy up a bit.
I avoid commenting on personal attacks like calling someone a stalker. It's obvious that you were not their cup of tea, but you certainly seem to be doing well with everyone else. So, it's more about them than you if you say nothing..
Have you ever seen a review that says "btw, this is a straight couple"? I can't believe that TA didn't flag that right away and wonder about it. I just don't think that someone's personal agenda should be part of my reviews.
I will comment, after I see if TA says about it. Because frankly, I can't believe that they would even POST something like that. Makes you wonder if anyone ever really does read what's written.

I avoid commenting on personal attacks like calling someone a stalker. It's obvious that you were not their cup of tea, but you certainly seem to be doing well with everyone else. So, it's more about them than you if you say nothing..
Have you ever seen a review that says "btw, this is a straight couple"? I can't believe that TA didn't flag that right away and wonder about it. I just don't think that someone's personal agenda should be part of my reviews.
I will comment, after I see if TA says about it. Because frankly, I can't believe that they would even POST something like that. Makes you wonder if anyone ever really does read what's written.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That is what I do not get about PFLAG - who stands on the rooftops yelling their kids are stratight? Why would anyone yell "my kid is gay"? It is NO ONE'S business other than the partners.

I would complain to TA about it. I have seen reviews taken down for less. It's an inappropriate remark. They don't read the responses before they post them - not really anyway. They have robots that flag spam links and bad language for the first pass, I'm sure, but not much more than that with the volume of reviews that get posted every day.
If TA lets it stand then you can write the right kind of response.

We just had a review published revealing that our place is for sale and that we are opening a new business, two rather personal pieces of information we don't generally let our guests know. It's a nasty review, as well, and they are saying that we're not "on it" as innkeepers anymore. Lots of judgmental things said purporting to know my state of mind. And of course, the guests' review went up within hours of posting. (A nasty woman posted the minute she got home! Ticked because I had to ask her to watch her young son, who was constantly found wandering about alone, especially near our large hot tub, which they constantly kept open.) My response 4 days later is still not up. Other guests told us days ago they had left a lovely review, but that's not up either. Perhaps TA favors controversy?
I protested that they are revealing personal information about me and TA's response was of course, the review stays and I can write a response. Did not mention they'd take a week to publish it! And that does nothing to put my own business back where it belongs!
Oh, and the TA writer is now solely responsible for our new no-kids policy. Love kids, but what a liability nightmare when you've got a neglectful parent like we just experienced. Wish I could tell everyone her name, like they do to us on TA.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
That is what I do not get about PFLAG - who stands on the rooftops yelling their kids are stratight? Why would anyone yell "my kid is gay"? It is NO ONE'S business other than the partners.
I think the point of PFLAG is supposed to be a support group. The yelling about your kid. I think that part is totally optional.
I've always lived my life as if everyone knows. Still, posting it like that is a sign that they had a problem with it. It isn't about us at all.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I think the point of PFLAG is supposed to be a support group. The yelling about your kid. I think that part is totally optional.
I've always lived my life as if everyone knows. Still, posting it like that is a sign that they had a problem with it. It isn't about us at all.
I do realize that part - the support, I mean. I have a co-worker from my former life who finally discovered who she is. When she told me in an e-mail with, my response was - Soooooooo????? She has so many symbols, license plate, rainbows on her van....... I say nothing because it IS her business, to me it looks like the challenge to "knock the chip off my shoulder". That is what I mean by my statement. I am her friend and she is just another of my firends. She came here for her honeymoon.

Hey, I would use that to complain about the review. Removing a bad review is worth trying it.
Would a response about going green and thus the housekeeping was part of going green... Make it a positive or too much?
Off topic - your guests seem to do a lot of reviews. Any trick to that?
Edit - You have some truly fantastic reviews. No one likes a bad one but if the person who is going to stay reads more then one review you are fine.

I would give it a try and log in as owner and flag the review an innappropriate. See what happens. Hopefully they will take it down.

Just read the review (and several others). I can understand how you feel it was a personal attack and unjustified and those type of comments should be against TA policies. As a possible guest, I would see right through those personal remarks and would write off the review. Your other reviews speak volumes of the wonderful place and great service.
If TA does not remove the review or edit it to remove the personal attack I believe I would address the issue of the housekeeping and sweep everthing else under the rug. Doing so will show your professionalism.

I would complain as it is completely innapropriate (inn Get it?) I dont know about it being obvious from the other review (havnt read them just working off what others have said) as we have had B&B's run by two blokes (2 in my street alone) that were run by two men and non of them were gay. However I believes ones sexual orientation is non of anyones business unless you happen to tell them yourself and from what you say they are biggots looking for something to have a go about. We have a sign in every bathroom that says towels in the shower we will change them otherwise our environmental policy is if they are on the rail you want to re-use them and save the planet. It is green and saves us a fortune so double bonus. Also if they had said you were black/white/chinese etc it would be flagged up in a second as racism and this is the same. Plus if you can get rid of it for that reason it gets rid of the whole thing which is also a bonus. And it might teach those horrible people a lesson (even if it is a small on)

Completely inappropriate and it should be taken down. I would write a very stern email to TA and see if that works to have it removed. If not, a gracious and humorous reply might do the trick.
BTW, these people were obviously not comfortable with the situation, which is THEIR problem. Your other reviews are stellar, remember to be proud of that.

flag and complain to TA and see what happens
it was totally inappropriate ... and then adding about being 'stalked' when they came in (some guests would consider that being friendly) and cheesy conversation ... give me a break!
if they don't take it down, i'd respond as someone else suggested about the conservation of water (you have the little signs in the rooms?) if so, i'd mention ... as our room signs explain, we are happy to change out towels if left on the floor. hung up towels mean you want to conserve water ... etc. and ignore the snide comments. small minds!
sorry.

Was it said in a discriminitory way? If just a comment, I don't think TA will do anything about. People mention other private issues on reviews that are not taken down, was it said in a slanderous way? I better go find it and read it.
Edited to add: Yes TA should take that down, the tone was there. "In case you didn't know..."

I would agree with the others to report it to TA. It is none of anyone's business and should not be in a review. They are just miserable boors who have nothing better to do than make other people's lives difficult.
RIki

Was it said in a discriminitory way? If just a comment, I don't think TA will do anything about. People mention other private issues on reviews that are not taken down, was it said in a slanderous way? I better go find it and read it.
Edited to add: Yes TA should take that down, the tone was there. "In case you didn't know...".
Joey Bloggs said:
the tone was there. "In case you didn't know..."
Meaning, "We didn't know and we were bothered by it, so we are telling you so you know..."
Boors.

Back