Rewards of owning a B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Ok, so I was wondering, with all the 'helping' going on to help 'newbies' going into this business (or thinking about it);
is there a list somewhere about ... ."All the good (positive) things about owning a B&B" or all the "Rewards" to owning a B&B??
If not, can we start a list??
Just wondering....
regular_smile.gif

ooops!
embaressed_smile.gif
Sorry Joey! Just saw your post... .
been thinking about it too...

Ok....this is not right. I'm a little worried now.......I can think of more reasons not to be an Innkeeper than to be one. But I find my self saying "I would not want to do anything else!" I know many of your feel the same way. Or at least I hope. That will make feel better!

Ok....this is not right. I'm a little worried now.......I can think of more reasons not to be an Innkeeper than to be one. But I find my self saying "I would not want to do anything else!" I know many of your feel the same way. Or at least I hope. That will make feel better!.
Bob, this is my list that I posted on JB's post.
Why I Love Innkeeping
• The thermometer says it is 10 degrees outside and I do not have to start my car to go to work
• I meet people from all over the world
• I meet people in many occupations- some who are famous in “their world”
• A guest told us about post-polio syndrome and we were able to tell a guest her problem was NOT “in her head” as doctors said, she had post-polio (and she really did)
• I get to see the smile on faces when they see a lovely room
• I get to hear compliments o0n my cooking
• I get to thank the spouse of a Military person for the service the spouse gave to this Country
• I get to stand (unseen) on the porch and hear the man who left here a week ago get out of his car and say, “It feels so good to be home!”
• I get to hear people tell me how much they needed to get away to a place like this
• I get to hear a repeat guest calling to say – Please tell me you have a room! We NEED to get out of town!
• I get to plan day trips
• I get to see the tight, pinched, tense faces that arrived be full of smiles and laughter and regret they have to go as they depart
• I get to touch many lives and be touched by theirs

Im a control freek so
(1) every decision is my decision - no boss enforcing a policy that makes no sense
(2) ability to take on projects that i fancy and make an amazing difference to my town
(3) im lucky where i am lots of other bb owners with whom to chat and you have things in common with both locally and now internationally!
(4) I love a challenge
(5) I want to leave a legacy - both in things ive done and looking after a 106 year old building and if plans come off another one - depending on the economy and savings!
(6) I want things done how i want them and i want it all the time!
(7) i fuss on about things like a chandler has 3 different bulbs in it - no one else would notice but i do!
(8) I can have a nuap in the afternoon if i like
(9 regulars who like the ones this week said when they arrived "its good to be home"
(10) catching up with regulars on what they have been up to
(11) welcoming events like THE TOUR DE FRANCE!

Ok....this is not right. I'm a little worried now.......I can think of more reasons not to be an Innkeeper than to be one. But I find my self saying "I would not want to do anything else!" I know many of your feel the same way. Or at least I hope. That will make feel better!.
Bob said:
Ok....this is not right. I'm a little worried now.......I can think of more reasons not to be an Innkeeper than to be one. But I find my self saying "I would not want to do anything else!" I know many of your feel the same way. Or at least I hope. That will make feel better!
I did notice that this list is suspiciously shorter than the other one....
shades_smile.gif

Sunshine, go ahead and make a list. I can collect it from here or there and combine. :)

Bob said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Bob said:
shades_smile.gif
Because anyone, even an optimist, can make a longer 'negative' list than a 'positive' one.

Bob said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Bob said:
shades_smile.gif
Because anyone, even an optimist, can make a longer 'negative' list than a 'positive' one.
Madeleine said:
Penelope said:
Bob said:
shades_smile.gif
Reminds me of the stories I am told, about memorable B&B stays, the negative ones always stick in the person's mind, and they share those. It is human nature.
Now I don't mind, really, have a good laugh about it with them, but imagine if they told me about a place that was spectacular! That has never happened, btw. They may say to each other "Remember that place...that nice innkeeper...what was it called?" and cannot remember anything more.

Imagine if EVERYONE HERE shared the positive rewards of innkeeping? This is what we are talking about. People will comment, but where is their list? Give us YOUR LIST.
Here is my top 10:
#1 Being home for my family
#2 Being my own boss/Shortest commute on the planet
#3 Being able to be as creative as I wish, in any way that I wish
#4 Meeting people I would never meet otherwise, from all walks of life, with varied interests and experience
#5 Making people feel good, with a cup of coffee and a warm handshake from us. Serving others.
#6 Learning new things, expanding my knowledge (this is due to marketing/tourism)
#7 Excelling in my own environment (being as good or bad as I want to be, I want to be great)
#8 Having a great cluster of innmates that I can share with, laugh with, complain with (that live nowhere near me)
#9 Being shocked and surprised on a regular basis (no two days are alike)
#10 Having fun!

Bob said:
shades_smile.gif

Penelope said:
Bob said:
shades_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Penelope said:
Bob said:
shades_smile.gif
Reminds me of the stories I am told, about memorable B&B stays, the negative ones always stick in the person's mind, and they share those. It is human nature.
Now I don't mind, really, have a good laugh about it with them, but imagine if they told me about a place that was spectacular! That has never happened, btw. They may say to each other "Remember that place...that nice innkeeper...what was it called?" and cannot remember anything more.
Two stories...and, yes true, I cannot recall the name of the one place from eons ago...arrived at a B&B to find a small bottle of champagne in the fridge and a note from the innkeepers congratulating us on our wedding. Second one, and I can recall this name, was the night we stayed in a manor house. EVERY guest who comes here and tells us they are going to Ireland, we tell them about Adare Manor where they upgraded us from a 'standard' room to a 'turret' room when they found out we were on our honeymoon. (Yes, that does indicate I've been married before.)
The first B&B used to send us a chatty letter every year telling us about their wild vacations around the world. I loved that.
A few other B&B's we've stayed at that I will recommend to anyone saying they are headed that way. And all of you, of course.
But, yeah, my horror stories are more fun...
People remember the bad to avoid it again.

1. I'm my own boss
  2. My commute is awesome!
  3. Being part of peoples special occasions they will remember forever
  4. I get to live in a beautiful location and get paid to live there
  5. Meet some very interesting people and once in a very blue moon have created real friends
  6. I can be creative with food, decorating, website, blog, etc.
  7. I get to work side by side with my husband
  8. I can take wonderful vacations in the slower times
  9. Met and network with other innkeepers who are an amazing group of people that come to the industry from every profession imaginable!
  10. I never get tired of the compliments from guests. It's those guests that appreciate what we do and who we are that makes us continue in this crazy profession!

Back