Rez Key down?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

April

Reaction score
Can not make the reservation on line- getting error. Anybody getting same?

Yes: This error when putting in dates: Please got to the RK Forum and reply to post. I emailed John also.
Internal Server 500 Error
An error occurred processing the page you requested.
We are sorry for the inconvenience. Our technical team has been notified of this error.
COM Error Number
-2147217900 (0x80040E14)
File Name
C:\WWW\RESERVATIONKEY\V2\P\../inc/inc_subs.asp
Line Number
Brief Description
Invalid column name 'trashdate'

Already lost one reservation I know of because it can't make changes to the database. I'm surprised it has been down this long!

Already lost one reservation I know of because it can't make changes to the database. I'm surprised it has been down this long!.
Yes. And no one is acknowledging it from RK. Apparently they were working on a new Trash recovery system at least 7 hours ago and now they have trashed the res system. Error message even mentions Trashdate.
This was a big holiday Saturday for some users out there ...no fun. Again John needs to own this and at least give us an update. The longer it continues the more worrisome it is.

On every error message, there should be a message that says to contact the property directly.

My guess is he doesn't know about it. But when he does he's going to be like " OH SH@t!!!!"
He really needs to have an Emergancy way of contacting him! This has been a worry for awhile. John is a business with one person. If something happens to him God for bid. We are all screwed!

Amazing to read the ResKey forum with everybody reporting the error like they are the first to see it, and everybody saying "me too" like it's not obvious that this applies to EVERYBODY!
Feeling grouchy tonight!

My guess is he doesn't know about it. But when he does he's going to be like " OH SH@t!!!!"
He really needs to have an Emergancy way of contacting him! This has been a worry for awhile. John is a business with one person. If something happens to him God for bid. We are all screwed!.
Hillbilly said:
My guess is he doesn't know about it. But when he does he's going to be like " OH SH@t!!!!" He really needs to have an Emergancy way of contacting him! This has been a worry for awhile. John is a business with one person. If something happens to him God for bid. We are all screwed!
He does have others, spread around the world, who can contact him any time. It's no longer entirely a one-man show. I feel sure he knows about it.

He really needs to have an Emergancy way of contacting him! This has been a worry for awhile. John is a business with one person. If something happens to him God for bid. We are all screwed!.
Hillbilly said:
My guess is he doesn't know about it. But when he does he's going to be like " OH SH@t!!!!" He really needs to have an Emergancy way of contacting him! This has been a worry for awhile. John is a business with one person. If something happens to him God for bid. We are all screwed!
He does have others, spread around the world, who can contact him any time. It's no longer entirely a one-man show. I feel sure he knows about it.
Arks said:
Hillbilly said:
Thats good news! That said, you would think one of them would let everyone know they are working on it and give us an update!

It is 12:45 AM - still down. I am not thinking of switching, but I agree there should be a message to contact the inn directly. I just posted a notice on my home page that the online reservations/availability is down, please contact us directly at and our phone number.

Amazing to read the ResKey forum with everybody reporting the error like they are the first to see it, and everybody saying "me too" like it's not obvious that this applies to EVERYBODY!
Feeling grouchy tonight!.
For the record Arks I didn't mention "Me too!" I think it's obvious! :) I'm sitting here at the High school waiting on the band to get back from a competition. So I actually had a little free time to post!

Unfortuntately S*#t Happens! and no system is perfect 24/7/365.It is not possible. I am sure they are as panicked as the rest of you. Take a deep breath...you can be assured they will fix it...it just takes some time. Give them a break!

This is John's answer: Sorry about the bug. Yes, it was related to the new trash feature. And no, I don't have an emergency number unfortunately. I was working on this right before I went to sleep for the night, which is why I wasn't able to respond sooner. I think the lesson is don't release new features right before going to sleep. Very sorry about the inconvenience. I also am looking possibly bringing in another person or two in the future which would help in situations like these.
He fell asleep and the system was down for 12.5 hours. Not cool. He does need to have a fail-safe plan in place. I also think that sometimes he's a bit laissez-faire or in denial about the impact of some situations, like not acknowledging the slooooow reload speed of the system for almost three months. Or the manual reservations that still go missing. The more folks who say "Me too" the more he realizes it's not just a few of us being impacted. He needs an assistant now! Like innkeeping, this is a 24/7 job. On the other hand, he has always been responsive to my many requests for tweaks and upgrades. Let's hope he sees how many voiced their dismay and takes action like any successful exec should.

This is John's answer: Sorry about the bug. Yes, it was related to the new trash feature. And no, I don't have an emergency number unfortunately. I was working on this right before I went to sleep for the night, which is why I wasn't able to respond sooner. I think the lesson is don't release new features right before going to sleep. Very sorry about the inconvenience. I also am looking possibly bringing in another person or two in the future which would help in situations like these.
He fell asleep and the system was down for 12.5 hours. Not cool. He does need to have a fail-safe plan in place. I also think that sometimes he's a bit laissez-faire or in denial about the impact of some situations, like not acknowledging the slooooow reload speed of the system for almost three months. Or the manual reservations that still go missing. The more folks who say "Me too" the more he realizes it's not just a few of us being impacted. He needs an assistant now! Like innkeeping, this is a 24/7 job. On the other hand, he has always been responsive to my many requests for tweaks and upgrades. Let's hope he sees how many voiced their dismay and takes action like any successful exec should.
Momma Smurf said:
He does need to have a fail-safe plan in place. I also think that sometimes he's a bit laissez-faire or in denial about the impact of some situations...The more folks who say "Me too" the more he realizes it's not just a few of us being impacted. He needs an assistant now!
I agree 100%. He did tell me once that he has people in different countries who can contact him if there's a problem. I guess that doesn't include during bedtime!

Correction: 10.5 hours. It went down between 3-4 in the afternoon. Prime time check-in. Created havoc for many larger properties.
We kept getting a ton of atypical late phone calls looking for rooms on a busy Columbus day Saturday night, cause no one could see that we were full. Plus, I'd updated our website that day, and since I couldn't see anyone searching for availability in the Activity tab, I thought folks hated my changes and reverted back. Wonder how many potential future reservations we lost because no one could see our availability.

We don't use an online reservation system, but in another life I created and maintained the database that the company used, unfortunately with any change there is the chance of unintended consequences and the choices are to never change anything or risk a hiccup when any change is made, being that Rez Key is online and serving many companies I can't imagine the stress of attempting to make changes to the system.
I've been in that same situation and the choice was to talk with my fellow employees and try to make them happy or lock the door and spend the time correcting the problem as I couldn't do both at once, I'm sure John is in the same situation.
A line in the error message to contact the Inn directly may be possible, but then that is still another change which may have further unintended consequences.
Just my two cents, sorry for butting in.

Momma Smurf said:
He does need to have a fail-safe plan in place. I also think that sometimes he's a bit laissez-faire or in denial about the impact of some situations...The more folks who say "Me too" the more he realizes it's not just a few of us being impacted. He needs an assistant now!
I agree 100%. He did tell me once that he has people in different countries who can contact him if there's a problem. I guess that doesn't include during bedtime!
Arks said:
Momma Smurf said:
Well he said unfortunately he doesn't have an Emergancy number. "Well unfortunately he really needs to have one!" He has a business that is no different than all of ours. We all get those 2 in the morning calls of guests having locked them selves out. He really does need an Emergancy contact in play. He can hire a service to take calls and have them screen them for him. He can make a list of what constitutes an Emergancy. System down for hours at a time is an Emergancy. Just saying...

Momma Smurf said:
Arks said:
Momma Smurf said:
Well he said unfortunately he doesn't have an Emergancy number. "Well unfortunately he really needs to have one!" He has a business that is no different than all of ours. We all get those 2 in the morning calls of guests having locked them selves out. He really does need an Emergancy contact in play. He can hire a service to take calls and have them screen them for him. He can make a list of what constitutes an Emergancy. System down for hours at a time is an Emergancy. Just saying...
I totally agree!!! Folks should voice this directly to him on the Forum. An oops, I fell asleep does not cut it as an excuse. And not testing the basic fundamentals like, does the Availability Search still work? Can reservations be entered? is not acceptable protocol for any Systems Analyst/Engineer after a major change.

Back