Rezovation GT glitch

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesonatainn

Reaction score
Hey there. My user name "sonatainn," vanished (I guess from lack of use,) so I quickly registered this one.
I am having a serious glitch with my booking engine software (Rezovation GT,) and have spoken to tech support concerning the issue a few times, to no avail. They are telling me that this issue isn't a glitch, and that it isn't a problem at all...it's just how the software was designed. I found it hard to believe that no one else would complain about this serious issue (because if it was a global glitch, they would get more calls concerning the same problem.) So, before I declare myself insane, I just wanted to know if anyone else experiences the same issue with the same software.
The glitch occurs only when customers book 2 or more rooms at the same time. I have rooms that have a max capacity of 2, 3, and 4. I have set the base capacity of all my rooms to 2. I have this set to 2, because all of my rates are double occupancy, as I have no single occupancy rate. I can't set the base to 1, because then couples would get charged an extra person fee.
So, here's the issue: Say a customer tries to book 2 rooms, each with 1 person in each room. The engine asks the customer for a CHECK IN DATE, CHECK OUT DATE, NUMBER of ROOMS, then NUMBER of GUESTS.
If the customer indicates 2 rooms, and 2 guests. The engine spits out 2 guests in each room, indicating 4 guests in this reservation...despite the customer only needing 1 guest in each room.
This is my 3rd year with RezGT. I have never encountered a problem like this until the last update. Does anyone experience a similar issue, under the same circumstances?

I unfortunately cannot answer your specific question, but I can tell you that when we attempted to switch to Rezovation, each and every thing we mentioned as "not working" we were swiftly told that it WAS working, it was the way the system was designed. We were then usually told that the "fix" would be to switch to their cc processing. I still shudder when I think about trying to make this transition...the company is just not interested in doing anything anyway but THEIR way.
I hope you can get a resolution.

Can the guest select the number of persons in the room when they make the rez? Is that question asked? If it asked and they select '1' and you get the info saying '2' instead, or when you send their group booking you get '4' then that is a problem that should be fixed.
I don't do a lot of group bookings like that but I know if I create a group I have the same problem on SuperInn. If I send the group booking info it shows a random number of guests, not the correct amount.

If I remember correctly it puts the maximum in the first room and overflow into the next. So if you have a room that can accomodate 3 and there are 4 in two rooms, you get 3 in 1 and 1 in the other.

Can the guest select the number of persons in the room when they make the rez? Is that question asked? If it asked and they select '1' and you get the info saying '2' instead, or when you send their group booking you get '4' then that is a problem that should be fixed.
I don't do a lot of group bookings like that but I know if I create a group I have the same problem on SuperInn. If I send the group booking info it shows a random number of guests, not the correct amount..
I think they just fixed a problem with guests in two different rooms. For example, if they move and you have it set for 2 in both rooms it added it to 4. It should be a calculation:
(number of guests x number of nights in a + number of guests x number of nights in b) / number of nights

Eric: I think you're exactly right, because I'm looking at a few groups with odd amounts of people, and that's exactly how the program does it...
But there's a flaw with that logic. Because I charge $20 for extra people after two, the customer gets charged for extra people, even though that extra, is probably going to the second room to balance it all out. It's a complete mess and disaster. I can tell you that RezGT never used to do this.
Don:Thanks for your input. I have noticed a severe attitude shift in their support ever since they were acquired by HomeAway. It may be time for me to change to another booking engine. Any good ideas? I really want something that interfaces well with iOS/android operating systems.

Eric: I think you're exactly right, because I'm looking at a few groups with odd amounts of people, and that's exactly how the program does it...
But there's a flaw with that logic. Because I charge $20 for extra people after two, the customer gets charged for extra people, even though that extra, is probably going to the second room to balance it all out. It's a complete mess and disaster. I can tell you that RezGT never used to do this.
Don:Thanks for your input. I have noticed a severe attitude shift in their support ever since they were acquired by HomeAway. It may be time for me to change to another booking engine. Any good ideas? I really want something that interfaces well with iOS/android operating systems..
I have had a couple of other innkeepers mention the rude customer support to me as well. Maybe Poppa Smurf will look into this matter more. This should not be happening no matter who runs the company.
Other folks here are suggesting Reservation Key or you could look at Reservation Nexus.

Don:Thanks for your input. I have noticed a severe attitude shift in their support ever since they were acquired by HomeAway. It may be time for me to change to another booking engine. Any good ideas? I really want something that interfaces well with iOS/android operating systems..
I'm not sure if it is charging the extra. Talk to one of the support guys and ask him to put it in as a bug report. Or go to the suggestion forum and bring it up as a change there.
I have very good support from them, but maybe that is because I know many of them by name, now and I speak tech, since I used to teach tech support. I have pointed out a number of errors to them, some of which have been fixed.
The bee in my bonnet though is that small things that could make the software function better aren't always done. For example, I think that adding OpenID authentication for the client would make things a whole lot easier and it's not hard to impliment. Instead of creating an account on your B&B they could log in using their google ID, Facebook or even Flickr account and use that. It can then take (with granted permission) information like address from there instead of asking the client to fill it out. I also want a way to send a reminder manually.... meanwhile people keep on thinking it should be there email store, which is a lot of memory for nothing. It's just as easy to use a google apps account and do a search based on email address and it costs nothing.
The other thing is that so many people don't know how to personalize the software and work with it. None of my forms look like the originals. Just wish I could also do better French with the software and choose my currency symbols for somethings, since I deal with more than one currency. Not to mention our weird taxes, where I have 3.5% tax on the room, but not the garage.
thesonatainn said:
Don:Thanks for your input. I have noticed a severe attitude shift in their support ever since they were acquired by HomeAway. It may be time for me to change to another booking engine. Any good ideas? I really want something that interfaces well with iOS/android operating systems.

thesonatainn said:
Hey there. My user name "sonatainn," vanished (I guess from lack of use,) so I quickly registered this one.
Welcome back. Your old account is still here and functional
https://www.innspiring.com/user/396
Accounts only get removed for misuse, not lack of use.
I've never run into the RezovationGT problem you are describing (never had single people in a group before). Sounds like what you are describing is happening though is less than ideal and should be looked at.

thesonatainn said:
I've never run into the RezovationGT problem you are describing (never had single people in a group before). Sounds like what you are describing is happening though is less than ideal and should be looked at..
Swirt, it only happens when someone books multiple rooms at a time and the system doens't know to ask how many in a room, it assumes to fill one than the other, via the maximums. It would need an extra step that actually had a pull down to ask how many per room.

thesonatainn said:
I've never run into the RezovationGT problem you are describing (never had single people in a group before). Sounds like what you are describing is happening though is less than ideal and should be looked at..
Ah! I am a little muddled in the brain. None of my passwords were workng, until I realized I had Cap locks on...sigh.
So I'm back! Eric, I did have them fill out a bug report, twice on the issue, in the last two months. The agent was becoming more annoyed at my numerous attempts to fix this issue (though, I don't think calling 4 times in 3 months is that much.)
I'm looking through the INNspiring resources for another reservations database software....any piece of software in mind that has migration services?...that's a big deal us (I don't want to lose customer data.) Checkfront looks kind of nifty (I like the wordpress integration,) but it doesn't seem to have a fleashed out backend.
Any thoughts?

thesonatainn said:
Ah! I am a little muddled in the brain. None of my passwords were workng, until I realized I had Cap locks on...sigh.
So I'm back! Eric, I did have them fill out a bug report, twice on the issue, in the last two months. The agent was becoming more annoyed at my numerous attempts to fix this issue (though, I don't think calling 4 times in 3 months is that much.)
I'm looking through the INNspiring resources for another reservations database software....any piece of software in mind that has migration services?...that's a big deal us (I don't want to lose customer data.) Checkfront looks kind of nifty (I like the wordpress integration,) but it doesn't seem to have a fleashed out backend.
Any thoughts?
I usually speak to Jaylee and I usually explain things well and can have them replicate them. He's usually very through. They do seem to have a lot of newer staff on board and maybe they are expanding (good news) or maybe they can't keep their staff (bad news).
I've looked at my systems. There is only one that I am looking at seriously, which is Beds24. I still might change to them. Being that I'm tech oriented, I have managed to push the edges of the software to get it to do most of what I want. Enhancements for me are more in the realm of user experience and often my suggestions are small changes that can fix thing.
What I am finding is that their customer base is trying to get them to make the software do everything for them, which isn't a good idea. The database end of keeping track of every email, never mind the send/receive is just cumbersome. It's easier to interface it.
If you go to http://feedback.rezovation.com/forums/21446-rezovation-gt you will see the list of enhancements that people are asking for. The top request is basically asking for it to be an email program instead of a reservation program (as I said.)
My list of enhancements are things like: PDF files instead of html (for security), OpenID, Google Calendar Link (so guests can click to add their reservation to their calendar), Reservation progress bar (so guests can see what step they are at.), etc.
I want the experience on the side of the user to be easier. I want people to make reservations! I can manage to search through my email program for all the emails... I don't need to to manage my email.

thesonatainn said:
Any thoughts?
I switched over from the old version of RezOvation to Reservation Key in Jan. The only way you can transfer information is to export in a cvs or excel file. That meant I could import the guest names, addresses, etc., but NOT their reservation history or any special notes. It's been a pain in the arse, but I am so happy to get away from any bb.com product, that it's been worth the annoyance.
I like Reservation Key, but it's not as comprehensive a system as RezOvation.

thesonatainn said:
Any thoughts?
I usually speak to Jaylee and I usually explain things well and can have them replicate them. He's usually very through. They do seem to have a lot of newer staff on board and maybe they are expanding (good news) or maybe they can't keep their staff (bad news).
I've looked at my systems. There is only one that I am looking at seriously, which is Beds24. I still might change to them. Being that I'm tech oriented, I have managed to push the edges of the software to get it to do most of what I want. Enhancements for me are more in the realm of user experience and often my suggestions are small changes that can fix thing.
What I am finding is that their customer base is trying to get them to make the software do everything for them, which isn't a good idea. The database end of keeping track of every email, never mind the send/receive is just cumbersome. It's easier to interface it.
If you go to http://feedback.rezovation.com/forums/21446-rezovation-gt you will see the list of enhancements that people are asking for. The top request is basically asking for it to be an email program instead of a reservation program (as I said.)
My list of enhancements are things like: PDF files instead of html (for security), OpenID, Google Calendar Link (so guests can click to add their reservation to their calendar), Reservation progress bar (so guests can see what step they are at.), etc.
I want the experience on the side of the user to be easier. I want people to make reservations! I can manage to search through my email program for all the emails... I don't need to to manage my email.
Jaylee is my favourite representative. However, he is never available now when I call.
I don't understand WHY people want correspondances to be stored, it's a waste of memory for emails that basically all look the same. The outgoing smtp should be tracking all that for you (like gmail.)
That Google calendar import idea you have is a FANTASTIC one. I wish more people used gCal.

thesonatainn said:
Any thoughts?
I switched over from the old version of RezOvation to Reservation Key in Jan. The only way you can transfer information is to export in a cvs or excel file. That meant I could import the guest names, addresses, etc., but NOT their reservation history or any special notes. It's been a pain in the arse, but I am so happy to get away from any bb.com product, that it's been worth the annoyance.
Res Key looks pretty good actually. I'm going to miss transaction history though,....but I guess I can't have everything...
Price is awesome though!

thesonatainn said:
Any thoughts?
Jaylee is my favourite representative. However, he is never available now when I call.
I don't understand WHY people want correspondances to be stored, it's a waste of memory for emails that basically all look the same. The outgoing smtp should be tracking all that for you (like gmail.)
That Google calendar import idea you have is a FANTASTIC one. I wish more people used gCal.
It's not even specific to Google Calendar. The same specification is used for Blackberry and other calendar systems as well. It's a simple link that enters all the data into a calendar. If I had a finer version of their pass through parameters, I could make it work, but I don't. But can you imagine your guests getting a link in their email that puts it into their calendar along with reminders?
And how about knowing where in the reservation process they are. Is it that hard to put a progress bar, so they know if they are finished and how much more to do before it's complete. It would help keep people in the process (on one side) and ensure that they finish it on the other side.
PS: his email is jcarlisle
sonatainn said:

thesonatainn said:
Any thoughts?
Res Key looks pretty good actually. I'm going to miss transaction history though,....but I guess I can't have everything...
Price is awesome though!
What I did was to add a custom message that is a mandatory question. "Have you stayed with us before?" and created a "yes", "no" radio button. That way, if they click yes, I can go back to my old RezOvation and look up their transaction history so I can look at the notes and times they've stayed with us. I tend to write notes about the people and what I served them for breakfast so I can choose something different for their next stay.

thesonatainn said:
Any thoughts?
Does Rez Key allow you set up discount code?

thesonatainn said:
Any thoughts?
Price is awesome though!
What I did was to add a custom message that is a mandatory question. "Have you stayed with us before?" and created a "yes", "no" radio button. That way, if they click yes, I can go back to my old RezOvation and look up their transaction history so I can look at the notes and times they've stayed with us. I tend to write notes about the people and what I served them for breakfast so I can choose something different for their next stay.
ah nifty...so I can keep my rez data, despite closing my account...I didn't realize that! I guess there won't be Portal sync though.

thesonatainn said:
Any thoughts?
Price is awesome though!
ah nifty...so I can keep my rez data, despite closing my account...I didn't realize that! I guess there won't be Portal sync though.
sonatainn said:
You'll have to check with them about that. I was using the old version, not GT. Mine kept all the info on the hard drive, not web based.

Back