Rezovations and Retirement

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innkeep

Reaction score
So you old timers will know me well. The rest of you probably won’t get any useful info from this thread. When Air became a significant presence in my totally non tourist town with about 15 listings for < $60 a night, I decided it was probably time to think about retiring. I have to take Social Security and make withdrawals from my IRA next year anyway.
I just paid paid my insurance for the year last week and have picked Sept 25, 2019 as the official retirement date. I have a bunch of repeat guests, so they are getting notified as time goes on. It will be 12 years. Opened just as the Great Recession started and just when print version directories were on their last gasp.
I considered myself fortunate because I had the bare bones Webervations software that fits my lifestyle just fine. Only about 20% of my guests book online, so it’s a very low volume operation. This week I got the dreaded email that Reso has been sold, and I should wait with baited breath for the wonderful improvements that I can expect from the new company.
I looked at the software that many of you migrated to a few years back, (John’s but I forget the name) but it was just too much trouble for me to learn. I don’t know how long I’ll be able to keep Webervations but suspect no longer than the first of the year. All I need is a simple minded program with no links to OTAs.
I have a webmaster who could probably work on something with Google calendars, which I think has been suggested by some of you in the distant past. Is there something a little more professional that I can use. This will probably be for no more than 9 months. I have 4 rooms and much of the winter is dead. I’m really lazy but not burned out. Also I hate to spend big bucks for less than a year.
For another thread I want to summarize all the little things I’ve learned about innkeeping...

This makes me sad, but I understand. But, as Yogi said, It is not over until the fat lady sings (Sept. 2019).

Sure wish we would have had a chance to catch up with you when we popped into Indy for the briefest of visits. Alas, we know you're well and we were glad to hear you were hanging up your shingle so you could pursue other things. Virginia is still the one and only time we have been in a Tesla. Best wishes from Hawaii.

Innkeep I've followed your comments here since joining the forum, although you may not know me, but may I pitch in my two cents worth?
Retirement: I took social security when I reached the age and I was required to take those minimum retirement withdrawals five years ago. I may be a few years ahead of you in that department, but I still enjoy our guests and I just don't know what I'd do different in retirement that I can't do today. My comment is, if there is a dream you want to follow, I'd go for it, but if retirement is just something we are supposed to do at a certain age, well I'm still having fun and don't intend to retire.
Reservation Key: John's program, yep, there is some effort setting up initially and setting up the "rate plans", but once it is set up and running I don't think you would find it difficult on a daily basis. There is/was a 30 day free trial, when we started using I used that 30 days to "play" and ran it as a duplicate (offline) system. Reach out if you like and I'd be happy to work with you to get it up and running.

This makes me sad, but I understand. But, as Yogi said, It is not over until the fat lady sings (Sept. 2019)..
gillumhouse said:
This makes me sad, but I understand.
Same from me.
Are you thinking of keeping the big family house, or downsizing?
Over the years here, several have posted info about simple, no bells and whistles reservation systems, but I never paid attention. Hope somebody can suggest something. Or of course, lots of us would be happy to help you get set up with ResKey. You could just assign a passwords to others so they could log in and help you with settings, then delete those extra passwords when you go live.
Another alternative would be to switch to a "call for reservations" system and keep up with reservations on ledger sheets.
I think there must be a happy land where retired innkeepers go play. I know a couple of them who pretty much do nothing but play all day long now!

I have no suggestions on a calendar, but congratulations on having a retirement date!

Hi Innkeep, it was wonderful to meet you when you stopped by here on your northeast and beyond trip with Tessie a few years back. Sorry, no suggestions on reservation software (we use ReservationKey). Congratulations on your pending retirement!

Well congratulations! I know you are already making huge plans. So glad we got to meet and have a good time.

As for Webervations, I would hold tight until you know just what will be taking place. I do think changes are coming but you may be able to make it through til the end. Or close enough where the "call us to arrange your stay" may work for you since they primarily do now anyway.

OTOH, if you want to check out another system, many innkeepers are raving about FreetoBook. I know only a little about it as I checked it out briefly a couple years back. But if you just use the basic version, it is free so nothing to waste money on. I have been using Reservation Key, John's system, since it was first mentioned here all those years ago so no personal recommendation about FTB only that those that use it seem to be very happy!

Glad to hear you are retiring! I hope you will continue to pop in and let us know how retirement is going. I'm so glad to meet you a couple years back as my first "innmate" face to face and my first ride in a Tesla. I hope you and Tessie have a great life together! (Cruiser sends his hello to Tessie as well.)

Congratulations! We are a bit ahead of you but with only one foot out the door. We have a limited season and are taking mostly longer stays. Sorry I can't recommend a reservation program to you....we do all our own advertising and ask folks to call or e-mail to make a reservation. We do use a Google calendar on-line on our web site but I can't really say that I like it. If you find another that works let me know and I'll check it out.

Back