Riddle me this

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Just went to make sure the heat is turned down in the guestroom just vacated. There is a large, zipperer plastic bag on the floor (like the ones that quilts, etc come in). Inside is a mattress pad. I'm thinking, 'They bought something and left it behind.' Then I realize that bag is mine and the mattress pad is for the king bed in another room. What the heck?! If they needed blankets, there's a shelf full of them right where they took the mattress pad from.
I'll take the mattress pad out and have a look at it, but I don't get this. Bypass quilts and blankets to take a mattress pad back to their room?

Strange..haven't a clue..maybe they thought they were getting a blanket and when they saw it was not, they just left it on the floor.???? ANother reason to keep unoccupied guest rooms LOCKED!

Strange..haven't a clue..maybe they thought they were getting a blanket and when they saw it was not, they just left it on the floor.???? ANother reason to keep unoccupied guest rooms LOCKED!.
catlady said:
Strange..haven't a clue..maybe they thought they were getting a blanket and when they saw it was not, they just left it on the floor.???? ANother reason to keep unoccupied guest rooms LOCKED!
They got it from the laundry room. Which I can't lock right now because I have an extension cord under that door to power the holiday lights. It's a mystery to me...

Someone slept on the floor. Maybe not an extra guest, maybe one of the people in the room does that for his/her back. I've had at least one guest here who did that and told me about it ahead of time.

Someone slept on the floor. Maybe not an extra guest, maybe one of the people in the room does that for his/her back. I've had at least one guest here who did that and told me about it ahead of time..
muirford said:
Someone slept on the floor. Maybe not an extra guest, maybe one of the people in the room does that for his/her back. I've had at least one guest here who did that and told me about it ahead of time.
If that was it, it was she who did that. She kept getting up from breakfast and stretching her back. Surprised, then, that they didn't take the room with the carpet, it would have been that much warmer and more comfortable.

Do you keep your quilts and blankets in plastic bags also? If not, it could have been their thinking 'if it's in the bag it is clean' therory. Otherwise, who knows - people are strange, if I had not known it before innkeeping sure has convinced me.

Do you keep your quilts and blankets in plastic bags also? If not, it could have been their thinking 'if it's in the bag it is clean' therory. Otherwise, who knows - people are strange, if I had not known it before innkeeping sure has convinced me..
Copperhead said:
Do you keep your quilts and blankets in plastic bags also? If not, it could have been their thinking 'if it's in the bag it is clean' therory. Otherwise, who knows - people are strange, if I had not known it before innkeeping sure has convinced me.
Yes, there were 4 big quilts in bags right next to the bag they took. 3 bags of blankets just below on the next shelf. If muirford is correct, my guess is they didn't want to get a quilt or blanket dirty by putting it on the floor. If they had asked, I would have given them whatever they needed and washed it today.
Better still, because this was not a vacation, why not bring something from home to sleep on? Maybe the bed was too soft/hard and that wasn't something they thought of.

...people are strange, if I had not known it before innkeeping sure has convinced me.
in my waitressing days, i definately found out just how strange & hard to deal with people can be...I'm not sure why, but, we are surprised how much more strange people are in the innkeeping world that what we anticipated them to be. we knew that you are still dealing with the public & that is always unpredictable...we find ourselves quite surprised at how rude people are at an inn, much more rude than we thought they would. Why!?!? We're nice people!
teeth_smile.gif

Don't you just HATE it when guests go rooting through YOUR stuff that isn't a part of their room ammenities or that of the common areas? My biggest challenge in that regard is keeping guests out of my galley (kitchen) since it's not really closed off in any way....not yet! They want to come in there and hang out or "help" ---it's a one-butt galley! Get out! When an extra person is in my galley, I can barely open the big refrigerator door.

...people are strange, if I had not known it before innkeeping sure has convinced me.
in my waitressing days, i definately found out just how strange & hard to deal with people can be...I'm not sure why, but, we are surprised how much more strange people are in the innkeeping world that what we anticipated them to be. we knew that you are still dealing with the public & that is always unpredictable...we find ourselves quite surprised at how rude people are at an inn, much more rude than we thought they would. Why!?!? We're nice people!
teeth_smile.gif
Do you find they start rude or get rude or never let up rude? It's tough to tell when you're seeing so many different people in a day what might have set someone off. But it's annoying no matter the reason. One good reason to let late arrivals check themselves in...after driving for hours they're ornery...let them take it out on each other!

You do get the guests that try anything, don't you?? Do you have extra blankets and pillows in your rooms?
That is really an invasion of your personal space!! I'd' be ticked!

You do get the guests that try anything, don't you?? Do you have extra blankets and pillows in your rooms?
That is really an invasion of your personal space!! I'd' be ticked!.
Samster said:
No extras in the rooms, no closets to put the extras in and the dressers are small. Each room has a thermostat, quilt, blanket, duvet. There's not much more I can do for them. If they're cold, they can turn up the heat. Each bed has 6 pillows.
Seriously? We all know that we can provide every last little thing we can think someone would want (like you do) and someone will want something we never thought was necessary!

Bree stated:Seriously? We all know that we can provide every last little thing we can think someone would want (like you do) and someone will want something we never thought was necessary!
You are so right.

Samster said:
No extras in the rooms, no closets to put the extras in and the dressers are small. Each room has a thermostat, quilt, blanket, duvet. There's not much more I can do for them. If they're cold, they can turn up the heat. Each bed has 6 pillows.
Seriously? We all know that we can provide every last little thing we can think someone would want (like you do) and someone will want something we never thought was necessary!
Bree said:
Samster said:
I don't like a hot room to sleep in so turning the temp up is not an option, I would be turning it down, I like it cool esp at night. But maybe the other half of this marriage would prefer extra blankets to be bundled up at night, since we like the room kept cool (she moreso than he)
edited to add: He rules the roost, she rules the rooster.

Samster said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
I don't like a hot room to sleep in so turning the temp up is not an option, I would be turning it down, I like it cool esp at night. But maybe the other half of this marriage would prefer extra blankets to be bundled up at night, since we like the room kept cool (she moreso than he)
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
I know what you're saying...I have the nighttime heat setting at 60 right now (altho it did get down into the 50's on Friday morning!). I sleep with the duvet (sometimes) and hubs has the quilt, blanket & duvet on his side. But you see how we've worked it out...he gets ALL the 'blankets' and I get the half of the one I want when I want it.He can double up all the other 'blankets' if he's still cold.
So I'm guessing this one wanted to sleep on the floor like muirford said.
I've had guests say the duvet is too heavy (huh? down is too heavy?) and why don't I provide a small baby-size blanket for those who just want to keep their feet warm? Oh for goodness sake. Give me strength. (And I LIKE that couple!)
I cannot be all things to all guests.

Samster said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
I know what you're saying...I have the nighttime heat setting at 60 right now (altho it did get down into the 50's on Friday morning!). I sleep with the duvet (sometimes) and hubs has the quilt, blanket & duvet on his side. But you see how we've worked it out...he gets ALL the 'blankets' and I get the half of the one I want when I want it.He can double up all the other 'blankets' if he's still cold.
I've had guests say the duvet is too heavy (huh? down is too heavy?) and why don't I provide a small baby-size blanket for those who just want to keep their feet warm? Oh for goodness sake. Give me strength. (And I LIKE that couple!)
Bree said:
Yes you can, you are an innkeeper. Or you can die trying.
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
We had folks check out this weekend - it's their second stay with us. They mentioned on the way out that their room was a little warm for their liking. So - a) why not mention it yesterday morning when we could have helped with that? and b) how did you miss the big fan in the armoire where the bathrobes (which they used) were kept? People are hard to understand.

Back