Riddle

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barliman

Reaction score
"A box without hinges, key or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid. What is it?" and more important where does this riddle come from, who said it to whom?

Ahhh, one of my favorite books!!! I had forgotten all about The Hobbit. I remember "what sloshes through that swampy mind..."
OK, here's a funny....I was a kid at the time I was familiar with The Hobbit and lived in a house where we had some acerage. We had chickens, horses, quails, etc. I had a couple of "pet" chickens, a pair of Cochens. I named them Bilbo and Belladonna (that Bilbo's mother as I seem to recall, am I right?). I cannot specifically remember what became of them. I know they did not hit the dinner plate.
I remember being disappointed with the movie - the recent ones (wasn't there an animated movie long ago?) - in that the characters did not fit the image I had had in my head all these years and so, I was sort of put off from the get go. Not sure why that bothered me...but, it did. Weird.
Edit: Oh, and I had a big rooster (can't remember the breed now - big, white with some black spots, but not the polka-dot chickens)...I named him Gandolf. I just remembered. LOL I think I might enjoy reading that again all these years later if only I could find the time.

Ahhh, one of my favorite books!!! I had forgotten all about The Hobbit. I remember "what sloshes through that swampy mind..."
OK, here's a funny....I was a kid at the time I was familiar with The Hobbit and lived in a house where we had some acerage. We had chickens, horses, quails, etc. I had a couple of "pet" chickens, a pair of Cochens. I named them Bilbo and Belladonna (that Bilbo's mother as I seem to recall, am I right?). I cannot specifically remember what became of them. I know they did not hit the dinner plate.
I remember being disappointed with the movie - the recent ones (wasn't there an animated movie long ago?) - in that the characters did not fit the image I had had in my head all these years and so, I was sort of put off from the get go. Not sure why that bothered me...but, it did. Weird.
Edit: Oh, and I had a big rooster (can't remember the breed now - big, white with some black spots, but not the polka-dot chickens)...I named him Gandolf. I just remembered. LOL I think I might enjoy reading that again all these years later if only I could find the time..
There are certain books for certain times. I have a list of favorites that I reread when the mood hits. The Hobbit series takes some effort, tho. I mostly skip all the battle scenes. And, you're right, the characters in the movie didn't look like I pictured them. Well, maybe Gandalf was close.

String or nothing, Bree. You guys are so fast. 16 minutes for IronGate. I think all of life's situations can be found in The Hobbit/LOTR, Lonesome Dove, or The Princess Bride. And the appropriate reply as well.
regular_smile.gif
or at least the fun ones worth thinking about....

String or nothing, Bree. You guys are so fast. 16 minutes for IronGate. I think all of life's situations can be found in The Hobbit/LOTR, Lonesome Dove, or The Princess Bride. And the appropriate reply as well.
regular_smile.gif
or at least the fun ones worth thinking about.....
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Now how many times has that TOTALLY been what you'va wanted to say to someone?
One of the favorites around here is quoting from Fawlty Towers. "Pretentious? Moi?"
Or singing from Monty Python movies. "Always look on the bright side of life..."

OK - You KNOW I had to chime in.
LOVE The Princess Bride. My guests LOVE Monty Python and will sit in the dining room quoting and singing it for hours.
We had acreage when I was a kid and had some wonderful animals, including an old ram that we used to ride around the farmyard, steering him with his horns. However, we also had a couple of super agressive geese. I was small, the male, Harold, was huge and when he appeared on a plate for Xmas it was the best meal I had ever eaten.

OK - You KNOW I had to chime in.
LOVE The Princess Bride. My guests LOVE Monty Python and will sit in the dining room quoting and singing it for hours.
We had acreage when I was a kid and had some wonderful animals, including an old ram that we used to ride around the farmyard, steering him with his horns. However, we also had a couple of super agressive geese. I was small, the male, Harold, was huge and when he appeared on a plate for Xmas it was the best meal I had ever eaten..
My husband said the rooster that attacked him when he was small did noi get to wait for Sunday dinner. His Granny yelled, "Herrrrrmannnnnnn!" and Gramps dispatched the rooster before the sun went down. DH said it was one of the few times he enjoyed eating chicken.

Edit: Oh, and I had a big rooster (can't remember the breed now - big, white with some black spots, but not the polka-dot chickens)...I named him Gandolf. I just remembered. LOL I think I might enjoy reading that again all these years later if only I could find the time..
As a kid, when I was sick, Dad used to read from The Hobbit. He had the most wonderful Gollum voice. Nothing could ever live up to it.
I completely agree that, if you LOVE a book, the film version will very rarely live up to expectations. One of my few exceptions is Anne of Green Gables. As an unconventional red-head it was the consumate escape and no dramatization could have ever matched my imagination ... but I thought the series was fabulous. I don't own it, but could watch it again and again and again.

As a kid, when I was sick, Dad used to read from The Hobbit. He had the most wonderful Gollum voice. Nothing could ever live up to it.
I completely agree that, if you LOVE a book, the film version will very rarely live up to expectations. One of my few exceptions is Anne of Green Gables. As an unconventional red-head it was the consumate escape and no dramatization could have ever matched my imagination ... but I thought the series was fabulous. I don't own it, but could watch it again and again and again.
The Tipsy Butler said:
I used to read 'Chilly Billy' to the kids when they were sick. After my daughter went off to college she called one weekend and said, 'I'm sick, I'm in bed, I feel miserable.' Before I thought, I said to her (from memory), 'There once was a little man who lived the refrigerator...' she laughed and said, 'Thanks, I feel better already.'
I recorded the book on a tape and mailed it to her so she cold listen to it whenever she felt sick.

The Tipsy Butler said:
One of my few exceptions is Anne of Green Gables. As an unconventional red-head it was the consumate escape and no dramatization could have ever matched my imagination ... but I thought the series was fabulous. I don't own it, but could watch it again and again and again.
That is one of my absolute, hands down, favorites. I watch it over and over again. I just rented the third set where they go to Europe in WWI. I don't tell my daughter that I am going to watch it, but she she usually shows up right towards the begininng and watches it all the way thru with me...

I loved Freckles and Girl of the Limber Lost - to you youngsters, those were books of Gene Stratton Porter. When they made Freckles into a movie I could not wait to see it. What Hollywood did to that book was such a travesty that I never trusted Hollywood again. When I finally saw Gone With the Wind I was surprised that they had actually followed the book.
I have since gone back and reread Gene Stratton Porter and she would never get published today - totally not PC! It would not surprise me to find that her books are not found in any Library today. But I loved Freckles.....

I loved Freckles and Girl of the Limber Lost - to you youngsters, those were books of Gene Stratton Porter. When they made Freckles into a movie I could not wait to see it. What Hollywood did to that book was such a travesty that I never trusted Hollywood again. When I finally saw Gone With the Wind I was surprised that they had actually followed the book.
I have since gone back and reread Gene Stratton Porter and she would never get published today - totally not PC! It would not surprise me to find that her books are not found in any Library today. But I loved Freckles.....
It took me for-ever to get thru Freckles. My mother bought it for me because I am 'freckled' and she thought it would help. I still have the book, maybe I should go root it out.

Back