Ridiculous or not? The “myth” of the unchanged hotel sheets http://bit.ly/iBRuOT

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't every insider hotel tips guide tell you to take a room nearest where the housekeepers start their morning cleaning as you've got the best chance at a clean room?

OK, how about THIS reply to a dirty room complaint from a different blog post:
Update: (2 p.m.) I’ve asked Priceline about this case. Its records say the Erikson requested an early check-in, and was given a room. “Sometimes, they don’t have time to clean those rooms,” a Priceline representative said. According to the hotel’s records, she didn’t mention anything about the condition of the room until she checked out.
Really? A guest specifically requests and is GRANTED an early check-in and they should expect the room has not been cleaned? This also implies what I found is probably true...you book thru a cheap site you get the worst room in the hotel AND, something I never considered, it may not be cleaned prior to your arrival because you paid so little.

It's not a myth. I'm sure there are rooms that don't get changed, some maliciously and some accidentally. It's not a pretty picture. Much better chance of getting clean sheets at a b&b than a hotel, so good for us anyway!

Ever have sand or grit under the sheets? or a stray sock?
My dad told the story of this working out of town, marked the sheet where no one would see it, had the same rooms the next week 5 days later after a long weekend, it had been rented two times meanwhile...sheet had same spot where they put it. They complained and went to another hotel...this was years ago. Of COURSE these housekeepers aren't going to change them all, many of them convicts and ex-cons...why would you think an ex-con would be honest?

My godmother has had this problem with housekeepers as they don't always speak english or the same language as the supervisor so it is a genuine mistake plus I have been behind the scenes in a lot of places when I worked in a chain in a particular hotel in Bristol the girls were expected to do 18 rooms each in a day and be done by 3pm so you tell me how well those rooms are cleaned.

My dad told the story of this working out of town, marked the sheet where no one would see it, had the same rooms the next week 5 days later after a long weekend, it had been rented two times meanwhile...sheet had same spot where they put it. They complained and went to another hotel...this was years ago. Of COURSE these housekeepers aren't going to change them all, many of them convicts and ex-cons...why would you think an ex-con would be honest?.
Joey Bloggs said:
why would you think an ex-con would be honest?
Totally off the topic but...not everyone who goes to jail or who is convicted of a crime is a liar or dishonest. And when they come out and try to get work no one wants to hire them. Some people are just in the wrong place at the right time and get caught up in something they just didn't think thru.

My dad told the story of this working out of town, marked the sheet where no one would see it, had the same rooms the next week 5 days later after a long weekend, it had been rented two times meanwhile...sheet had same spot where they put it. They complained and went to another hotel...this was years ago. Of COURSE these housekeepers aren't going to change them all, many of them convicts and ex-cons...why would you think an ex-con would be honest?.
Joey Bloggs said:
My dad told the story of this working out of town, marked the sheet where no one would see it, had the same rooms the next week 5 days later after a long weekend, it had been rented two times meanwhile...sheet had same spot where they put it.
I was trying to remember where I heard the story about marking the sheets.

Joey Bloggs said:
Totally off the topic but...not everyone who goes to jail or who is convicted of a crime is a liar or dishonest. And when they come out and try to get work no one wants to hire them. Some people are just in the wrong place at the right time and get caught up in something they just didn't think thru.
trouble is here and probably all over they go in for something minor like shoplifting and get locked up with much more hardened criminals and it leads to them being entangled in all sorts of things when they get out. its a downward spiral.

My godmother has had this problem with housekeepers as they don't always speak english or the same language as the supervisor so it is a genuine mistake plus I have been behind the scenes in a lot of places when I worked in a chain in a particular hotel in Bristol the girls were expected to do 18 rooms each in a day and be done by 3pm so you tell me how well those rooms are cleaned..
There was an interview done with an older woman in the UK who had been a housekeeper forever. She went thru her routine for the story, showing how she went into the room, opened the windows to air the place out, stripped the beds, made the beds, scrubbed the bathroom, checked the lights, emptied the trash, hoovered, dusted, shut the windows and, stop the timer...was done with the entire room in something like 17 minutes.
Hotels keep adding stuff to the rooms so I don't know how they expect things to be done by a certain time with the few people they are willing to hire. Rooms went from: bed, dresser w/mirror, TV and a table with wooden chairs plus teeny bathroom to all of that AND a kitchenette and Jacuzzi tub and much bigger bathrooms.

My godmother has had this problem with housekeepers as they don't always speak english or the same language as the supervisor so it is a genuine mistake plus I have been behind the scenes in a lot of places when I worked in a chain in a particular hotel in Bristol the girls were expected to do 18 rooms each in a day and be done by 3pm so you tell me how well those rooms are cleaned..
There was an interview done with an older woman in the UK who had been a housekeeper forever. She went thru her routine for the story, showing how she went into the room, opened the windows to air the place out, stripped the beds, made the beds, scrubbed the bathroom, checked the lights, emptied the trash, hoovered, dusted, shut the windows and, stop the timer...was done with the entire room in something like 17 minutes.
Hotels keep adding stuff to the rooms so I don't know how they expect things to be done by a certain time with the few people they are willing to hire. Rooms went from: bed, dresser w/mirror, TV and a table with wooden chairs plus teeny bathroom to all of that AND a kitchenette and Jacuzzi tub and much bigger bathrooms.
exactly! its why when my friend Lisa built her B&B she designed every room herself (worked in the trade since a child for her parents) with the design being easy to clean so that she wasn't struggling with everything every day. Im sure we would all do the same given a clean slate.

exactly! its why when my friend Lisa built her B&B she designed every room herself (worked in the trade since a child for her parents) with the design being easy to clean so that she wasn't struggling with everything every day. Im sure we would all do the same given a clean slate.
Everytime I think about adding something to a room, I try to figure out first how I am going to clean IT and clean AROUND it.
All of our light fixtures were placed dead center on the wall where the bed goes. Guess what? To put a nightstand on BOTH sides of the bed (something we did that was not here before) we had to move the bed off center. Now every stinkin' light fixture is 'wrong'. We were able to move one of them because I had the wallpaper to repair the hole afterwards. Another light fixture I removed and replaced with a huge painting and put the lights on the nightstands. But too many rooms I cannot move the lights and guests NEED nightstands more than I need the room to be completely balanced.
Our new vacuum is a hair wider than our old one. ONE bed has to be moved to vacuum along the side of the bed against the wall. ANNOYING! (This is another reason why I moved some of the beds off center...no way to vacuum along the wall with the bed 'centered' on the wall. How everyone else before us did the vacuuming, I don't know!)

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
a smudge in character is not a good trait and does not make the housekeeper super trustworthy to begin with.

Back