Quantcast

Ripped picture from website

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

BBBBoB

Reaction score
I was Googling my area and came upon a new site ( one of those everywhere sites). I clicked on it & to my surprise the picture that the Boss had taken, and used on our rack cards as well as the website, was on their splash page. In researching, I have found that about the only way of protecting your property is to "watermark" the pictures. Does anyone do this? Any comments?
Thanks
BBBBob

Alibi Ike

Staff member
Reaction score
It's annoying. I once found one of my photos on a website I totally disagreed with. You can contact the owners of the site and tell them it is your work and you want it removed from their site. The other option, and I do not know how to do this, is a setting on the photos when you put them on your site that does not allow them to be saved. (I tried to copy a photo once and I couldn't so I asked around and you can do that. Block copying.)

JBloggs

Reaction score
Watermark them if they are valuable photos you don't want reproduced anywhere, otherwise, they are out there in google images for anyone to copy. Photos that I have online are NOT HIGH REZ and for people to borrow and use them is ridiculous at best. I have one on a presidential blog of our porch, that someone lifted and posted. I asked them if they want to use it, by all means go ahead but give the photo credit TO THE INN and/or a link.
I have another photo that a car club used and people were right mousing and/or opening in a new window and reading where it was, I had hundreds of click thrus to our website (Cobra Car Club from near DC) I figured I would let them know we have off street paved parking, and they are more than welcome to cruise and stay here. :) Uber expensive cars all lined up at the inn would be a PHOTO OP for me for this B&B!

BBBBoB

Reaction score
It's annoying. I once found one of my photos on a website I totally disagreed with. You can contact the owners of the site and tell them it is your work and you want it removed from their site. The other option, and I do not know how to do this, is a setting on the photos when you put them on your site that does not allow them to be saved. (I tried to copy a photo once and I couldn't so I asked around and you can do that. Block copying.).
Disabling the right click to - save as - can be overidden fairly easily. One can also save the whole page, then edit the portion needed with minimal work. I agree it is annoying, at best!
BBBBob

agoodman

Reaction score
I would be delighted if people used any of my pictures as long as it was credited to my property, it does not mean that I endorse or don't endorse or agree or disagree with the site ....

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
If you have the source, a higher resolution source, then you essentially can prove it was yours as they would not be able to produce the source file as evidence.
Send them a cease and desist and ask them to take it down.

BBBBoB

Reaction score
If you have the source, a higher resolution source, then you essentially can prove it was yours as they would not be able to produce the source file as evidence.
Send them a cease and desist and ask them to take it down..
I did send an e-mail asking for removal. No response. It would have been nice for credit & a link back.
BBBBob

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
Send them a cease and desist and ask them to take it down..
I did send an e-mail asking for removal. No response. It would have been nice for credit & a link back.
BBBBob
Send them a bill for $375.
If no response, contact their host.