Road Trip

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Now we have a new (to us) car, DH wants to GO! So today since we have no guests, we are going to the pottery to get some of my mugs. He wants to go to Columbus next week to the AMA Motorcycle Museum - during the week because I have inn-coming Friday. I do not know when he expects me to get anything done! Lucky me. Last week it was a motorcycle trials event up in my home territory at a club he belongs to and then to Joe's Crab Shack & Half-Price Books (got some map of the US puxxles for grandkids plus a boatload of clearance books to read and put upstairs).

So your day off is spent going to get mugs for the business! And that counts as a day off! Ah, this business.
Hope you had a nice drive.
We're in the initial stages of planning to attact bikers here. We're trying to figure out what "biker pins" are. Apparently bikers like to collect them.
Since our county has five rivers, which is very unusual for one county, we're working on a "River Ramble" bikers (and others) can drive that crosses 8 rivers in this area in one day. It's all nice driving along roads here in the Ozarks, so lots of curves and nice scenery. The plan is that they spend a night in town before and/or after they do the ramble. We'll see.
I've even worked out a place at my guesthouse where bikes can be parked safe and out of the rain at night (under the deck on the back of the building).

So your day off is spent going to get mugs for the business! And that counts as a day off! Ah, this business.
We're in the initial stages of planning to attact bikers here. We're trying to figure out what "biker pins" are. Apparently bikers like to collect them.
Since our county has five rivers, which is very unusual for one county, we're working on a "River Ramble" bikers (and others) can drive that crosses 8 rivers in this area in one day. It's all nice driving along roads here in the Ozarks, so lots of curves and nice scenery. The plan is that they spend a night in town before and/or after they do the ramble. We'll see.
I've even worked out a place at my guesthouse where bikes can be parked safe and out of the rain at night (under the deck on the back of the building)..
http://www.biker-pins.com/assorted-biker-pins-pewter.html
Just like anyone else who collects pins. Anything to do with the bike etc. etc.

Arks, in doing so also map out the HD dealerships. I know where every dealership is and how far it might be out of the way depending on the not so planned route. Also mark on the route good BBQ, Bars, Restaurants, gas stations, and other points of interest.
If you are friendly with a restaurant along the route you can make it like a poker run and have a secondary pin at that location that they get when they eat there spending a certain amount. Bikers love goodies like that. Some are into the pins. Some are into other things, but I can assure you if you tell them there is good food at a scooter friendly location they will go. Next to twists and turns, trains and rivers, food is way high on the list of a good day's ride.
Bikers have money, they like to spend it with biker friendly places, be biker friendly and they will surely spend. Make sure you have a slew of trashed towels for wiping down the bikes and cleaning windshields, they will love you for your thoughtfulness.
We once road over 75 miles each way for ice cream on a summer evening.

Thanks catlady and Weaver! Good stuff there.
I saw a sign in a store here recently about a "poker run". Had no idea what it meant, but it was something local for bikers. I'm learning so much!

I saw a sign in a store here recently about a "poker run". Had no idea what it meant, but it was something local for bikers. I'm learning so much!.
Arkansawyer said:
I saw a sign in a store here recently about a "poker run". Had no idea what it meant, but it was something local for bikers. I'm learning so much!
Email me I will teach you more than you wanted to know!!

I've even worked out a place at my guesthouse where bikes can be parked safe and out of the rain at night (under the deck on the back of the building)..
Arkansawyer said:
I've even worked out a place at my guesthouse where bikes can be parked safe and out of the rain at night (under the deck on the back of the building).
If you are sending them across bridges make sure they are asphalt or cement - NOT STEEL GRID. That steel grid makes the tires wander. I was always able to use bridges with a "friendly" road surface. 2-lane, twisty, scenic and hills are a bonus for bikers. Off-street parking if possible. Places of interest for the ladies is also wise (as in antique shops), restaurants, places of interest and make your routing a circle that will bring them back for a second night before they go home. I take my bikers about 90 miles out and circle then back - have it so they never cross the same piece of pavement twice (unless returning from seeing something like a covered bridge, battlefield, etc)!
It was a great day for a ride. I got about half of my mugs. Will get the rest in September probably. I will post a photo as soon as I take one.
E-mailNewMug.JPG

Arkansawyer said:
If you are sending them across bridges make sure they are asphalt or cement - NOT STEEL GRID. That steel grid makes the tires wander. I was always able to use bridges with a "friendly" road surface. 2-lane, twisty, scenic and hills are a bonus for bikers. Off-street parking if possible. Places of interest for the ladies is also wise (as in antique shops), restaurants, places of interest and make your routing a circle that will bring them back for a second night before they go home. I take my bikers about 90 miles out and circle then back - have it so they never cross the same piece of pavement twice (unless returning from seeing something like a covered bridge, battlefield, etc)!
It was a great day for a ride. I got about half of my mugs. Will get the rest in September probably. I will post a photo as soon as I take one.
E-mailNewMug.JPG

K, those are so nice, rustic and very very cool.

Arkansawyer said:
E-mailNewMug.JPG

The potter had a stamp made with my logo and each mug is thrown by him and signed. No two are exactly alike and the handle is big enough for a man to hold wihtout burning his hand. I do not remember if they are 16 or 20 oz mugs. they hold a CUP of coffee, not a teaser like one set of my china has for cups. Glad you like them.

Yes, very nice, and unique mugs!
Good point about the bridge grid. I'll watch for that. Our main bridge here has the steel grid and I've crossed it on my motorcycle (about 40 years ago). Indeed, it's like driving on ice! A few years ago they put asphalt over the grid so no more problem.

I saw a sign in a store here recently about a "poker run". Had no idea what it meant, but it was something local for bikers. I'm learning so much!.
Poker Run - often a fundraiser, usually bar-to-bar for Harley riders. They pull one card at each stop on the route and the best poker hand wins a prize. Often it is 50/50 pot. The "Cause" gets half of the registration fees and the winner get the other half. Here a poker run is often to raise money for someone with cancer or a local charity.
We used to do a poker run on our rail-trail on National Trail Day. They would pull a card from the bag at the start, halfway to the turn around they would draw the second card (their entry card was marked and the card went back in the bag), third card at the turn around (about 3 miles up the trail), 4th card back at the halfway, and the last card back at the trailhead. We did a walking, biking, and then the next day did a horseback (when crowd of people was gone). That was how we raised our operating money for the rail-trail group.

Arkansawyer said:
E-mailNewMug.JPG

The potter had a stamp made with my logo and each mug is thrown by him and signed. No two are exactly alike and the handle is big enough for a man to hold wihtout burning his hand. I do not remember if they are 16 or 20 oz mugs. they hold a CUP of coffee, not a teaser like one set of my china has for cups. Glad you like them.
I can just see those on a cool fall morning with steaming coffee or whipped cream poking over the edge from a hot cup o'chocolate.
I love fine china but the cups are just rediculous if you are a serious morning coffee person.
If you get a chance email me or post his contact info I may want to get some things done.

Back