Robes, Jammies and Towels ...oh my!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Have you had guests (usually B & B newbies) show up for breakfast in their robes or pajamas? Is this something you permit? How to you handle it if you don't?

Oh sure...I don't mind, and it's only happened when they were the only guests...and in our provided robes!

Yes, and my husband is very uncomfortable with it. Me, I don't mind so much. I don't know why it bothers him - he's not really a guy who stands on formality - but it does. Usually it's our robes, which are pretty substantial. Sometimes a group does it - one family who all came down wearing their robes. Then they all bought robes, so that was good. Long-time guests have done it, to express their approval of the provision of the robes (we added them a few years ago).
Our very first weekend open, for the very first breakfast we ever served to guests - one young man came down to breakfast in his boxer shorts. With tattoos aplenty. His family had the whole inn, and I didn't say a word. I have a lot of stories about that weekend.

Yes, it has happened. I've never said a word as most guests realize their faux pas when they see everyone else. If they don't, and their attire is not cringe-worthy, I don't say anything.
I had one guest the first year whose attire could only be described as deshabille at best and down right hooker-like at the worst. And she was dressed to go OUT (we found out later on). I should have said something as ALL of the repeat guests who witnessed her never came back.
I guess I wouldn't offer an option in her case if she ever came back...'You'll need to change or wear a robe in order to dine.' I don't think she was susceptible to hints.
Most of the time it's the teens. It's the boy shorts that are the worst. Boy shorts and tank tops. Most of them sit down on the cold chairs and go change immediately.

i have had guests do this. as long as the parts that are covered by traditional bathing suits are covered, if it doesn't bother them, it doesn't bother me, but i do want shoes or slippers on their feet. no guests complained ... or seemed to mind.
i kind of liked it actually if bunches of guests came to breakfast in the inn bathrobes. made me feel like i was running a spa.

some mornings i wanted to serve breakfast in my robe and slippers.

We get the barefoot thing here ALL the time and it skeeves me out big time! Nobody wants to see your bare feet while they're eating breakfast.

I do not usually have a "housefull" - our max is 6 guests. I have had several guests come down in robes (we have always provided robes - no streakers allowed). Mr Romance came down and asked if they could come to dinner in their robes. I told him since they were the only ones in-house, they could come down starkers if they wanted to. He proceeded to tell her they had to come to dinner starkers. Cannot repeat what she told him! We had a good laugh over that one.
As long as they are covered, I do not care.

Yes, and my husband is very uncomfortable with it. Me, I don't mind so much. I don't know why it bothers him - he's not really a guy who stands on formality - but it does. Usually it's our robes, which are pretty substantial. Sometimes a group does it - one family who all came down wearing their robes. Then they all bought robes, so that was good. Long-time guests have done it, to express their approval of the provision of the robes (we added them a few years ago).
Our very first weekend open, for the very first breakfast we ever served to guests - one young man came down to breakfast in his boxer shorts. With tattoos aplenty. His family had the whole inn, and I didn't say a word. I have a lot of stories about that weekend..
muirford said:
Yes, and my husband is very uncomfortable with it. Me, I don't mind so much. I don't know why it bothers him - he's not really a guy who stands on formality - but it does. Usually it's our robes, which are pretty substantial.
Maybe he's worried about stains. It's the only thing that would bother me...
=)
Kk.

Yes and yes. As long as they are covered we didn't care what they wore to breakfast. I have seen some really lovely silk kimonos at our breakfast table. Others have worn the robes we provide in their rooms. Just told me they were comfortable being here...just like home.

Our very first weekend open, for the very first breakfast we ever served to guests - one young man came down to breakfast in his boxer shorts. With tattoos aplenty. His family had the whole inn, and I didn't say a word. I have a lot of stories about that weekend..
muirford said:
Yes, and my husband is very uncomfortable with it. Me, I don't mind so much. I don't know why it bothers him - he's not really a guy who stands on formality - but it does. Usually it's our robes, which are pretty substantial.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Nah, I'm the one who deals with stains. He doesn't really 'get' any of the laundry magic that happens. He's a bit more circumspect about who he 'lets his hair down with' and appearing in a robe in front of someone would be reserved for very close friends and family, not an innkeeper and a table full of strangers.

muirford said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Nah, I'm the one who deals with stains. He doesn't really 'get' any of the laundry magic that happens. He's a bit more circumspect about who he 'lets his hair down with' and appearing in a robe in front of someone would be reserved for very close friends and family, not an innkeeper and a table full of strangers.
When you think about it, people ARE a lot more casual around us than they probably are at home. I mean, how many would open their front door dressed the way they come to breakfast?

muirford said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
When you think about it, people ARE a lot more casual around us than they probably are at home. I mean, how many would open their front door dressed the way they come to breakfast?
Ahhh, guilty of getting the paper and the mail in jammies & robe on no-guest days. Front door to end of porch to mailbox & back - 10 seconds max!

muirford said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Ahhh, guilty of getting the paper and the mail in jammies & robe on no-guest days. Front door to end of porch to mailbox & back - 10 seconds max!
gillumhouse said:
I'm guilty, too, but I don't own a robe. When the water runs out of the tanks, it never fails that I'm in the shower all soaped up and the water stops. I keep the supply hose attached to the yacht, but the spigot off - I like to cycle through the tanks to keep them nice and fresh. So, when I run out of water, I have to run outside, in nothing but my towel, to turn on the water. I'm so happy that the few times it's happened, the webcam wasn't on! My neighbor has gotten somewhat used to stuff like that. I have a good neighbor who thankfully, has a sense of humor.
When I have guests, I leave the "city water" on so I never have to wonder about water tank levels and running out of water never happens.

We get PJ's, tank tops, shorts (or are they boxers?), pool attire, and usually flip flops or sandals (rarely bare feet) .. but since we eat outside on the terrace it does feel more casual with a view of the garden/pool. Only once we had a bikini top (and skirt), but when she found no one else was dining that casual a tank top was quickly put on.
Our guests all sit at the same table so unless one of the other guests makes a comment or gives a surprised look, it does not bother me.

muirford said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
gillumhouse said:
I'm guilty, too, but I don't own a robe. When the water runs out of the tanks, it never fails that I'm in the shower all soaped up and the water stops. I keep the supply hose attached to the yacht, but the spigot off - I like to cycle through the tanks to keep them nice and fresh. So, when I run out of water, I have to run outside, in nothing but my towel, to turn on the water. I'm so happy that the few times it's happened, the webcam wasn't on! My neighbor has gotten somewhat used to stuff like that. I have a good neighbor who thankfully, has a sense of humor.
When I have guests, I leave the "city water" on so I never have to wonder about water tank levels and running out of water never happens.
While our kitchen was being remodeled, my daughter had to go outside to get from her room to the bathroom (or, walk thru the construction, which was a mess). She would wrap a towel around herself and go out the kitchen door, walk down the driveway and in the front door. In the winter. In VT.

We get the barefoot thing here ALL the time and it skeeves me out big time! Nobody wants to see your bare feet while they're eating breakfast..
I think I can top that one. One time we were served by an innkeeper and she was barefooted. It was so repulsive. I then ask how did you get into inn keeping. She said they had never even stayed in a bed and breakfast followed with can you believe it. This was before we opened and they are no longer in buisness.

We get the barefoot thing here ALL the time and it skeeves me out big time! Nobody wants to see your bare feet while they're eating breakfast..
I think I can top that one. One time we were served by an innkeeper and she was barefooted. It was so repulsive. I then ask how did you get into inn keeping. She said they had never even stayed in a bed and breakfast followed with can you believe it. This was before we opened and they are no longer in buisness.
sandynn said:
Another innmate on the forum experienced barefoot and braless innkeepers, wonder if it was the same place. I think it was in Texas.

sandynn said:
Another innmate on the forum experienced barefoot and braless innkeepers, wonder if it was the same place. I think it was in Texas.
This was in Indiana. I know of an innkeeper that says no one is going to tell her she has to wear shoes even the board of health.
thumbs_down.gif

That is not a professional IMHO.

And here I worry the guests will think my Birks are too casual and I wonder if I should only wear closed toe shoes!

Back