Rocky Mount fire chief, firefighter die in crash

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Rocky Mount fire chief, firefighter die in crash[/h1]
Chief Posey Dillon and firefighter William Altice were killed on their way to a house fire when their fire truck hit an SUV and flipped. The SUV driver survived.[/h4]
http://www.roanoke.com/254969
Thank you for the emails.
We lost two fine men yesterday in a horrific crash in town. We are a town of only 3000 so this has affected all of us.
The Fire Chief is also our councilman. The other Veteran firefighter attended our church and just retired a week ago from AEP. The Fire Chief is also brother to DH's coworker, their mother has alzheimers. Appreciate all your prayers for the families.

Oh my this is horrible. My sympathy is with your entire town. What a tragedy I had not heard about this today.

I am so sorry to hear this. In a city the size of yours and mine, it touches everyone. Please express the condolences of all of us to the families.

Funeral set for Rocky Mount firefighters[/h1]Posey Dillon and Danny Altice will be laid to rest Friday[/h2]
ROCKY MOUNT, Va. —
Funeral arrangements have been set for the two Rocky Mount firefighters killed in a traffic crash.
The family of Posey Dillon will receive visitors at the Rocky Mount Volunteer Fire Department Thursday from 4 to 8 p.m.
Dillon's funeral will be held Friday at 11 a.m. at Franklin Heights Baptist Church. The church is located on Hilltop Road in Rocky Mount.
Firefighter Altice's viewing is also Thursday evening at the volunteer fire station on Main Street from 5 to 9 p.m. The funeral will be on Friday at 3 p.m. at Rocky Mount United Methodist Church.
The family asks that donations be made to the Posey W. Dillon and Danny Altice Memorial Fund, in care of the Rocky Mount Volunteer Fire Department.
Note from JB - - The second funeral is on our corner. We have 6 rooms checking in on Friday. They are meeting today at DH's office to work the logistics as there will be a huge funeral procession with firetrucks from here and all over and many other vehicles. We also have the cemetery right behind us, I am not sure if that is where they will be going or not.
I thought about emailing the guests, but two rooms have emailed me weekly for months about their stay, asking every question they can think of, so I do not want to tell them this and have it difficult here.

Funeral set for Rocky Mount firefighters[/h1]Posey Dillon and Danny Altice will be laid to rest Friday[/h2]
ROCKY MOUNT, Va. —
Funeral arrangements have been set for the two Rocky Mount firefighters killed in a traffic crash.
The family of Posey Dillon will receive visitors at the Rocky Mount Volunteer Fire Department Thursday from 4 to 8 p.m.
Dillon's funeral will be held Friday at 11 a.m. at Franklin Heights Baptist Church. The church is located on Hilltop Road in Rocky Mount.
Firefighter Altice's viewing is also Thursday evening at the volunteer fire station on Main Street from 5 to 9 p.m. The funeral will be on Friday at 3 p.m. at Rocky Mount United Methodist Church.
The family asks that donations be made to the Posey W. Dillon and Danny Altice Memorial Fund, in care of the Rocky Mount Volunteer Fire Department.
Note from JB - - The second funeral is on our corner. We have 6 rooms checking in on Friday. They are meeting today at DH's office to work the logistics as there will be a huge funeral procession with firetrucks from here and all over and many other vehicles. We also have the cemetery right behind us, I am not sure if that is where they will be going or not.
I thought about emailing the guests, but two rooms have emailed me weekly for months about their stay, asking every question they can think of, so I do not want to tell them this and have it difficult here.
Joey Bloggs said:
I'm so sorry to hear of this tragedy. My heart goes out to everyone in your town.
IMHO I think you should let the other guests know beforehand so it is not difficult for YOU when they arrive.

ROCKY MOUNT, Va. —
Please know the thoughts are here. Words sound trite........

Yes I thought about it. But really there is no telling how long the funeral will be or if the guests (some of them from Brooklyn) will get here at 9pm anyway. Our Friday check ins are always later... The difficult room I won't mention, don't need to open that can of worms. As we always say, not easy operating a business and dealing with "LIFE" at the same time.
We WILL be at the procession, the other funeral is in the am, so we will be there for that one. The entire town is on standby right now, other counties are sending emergency services to MAN the 9-1-1 while this is going on and our Governor will be present as well.
Thanks for the best wishes. I might just bring up one more person, the lady who went through the green light and clipped the fire truck with its hold full of water and caused it to roll. She is 41, lives in our town, and now has two deaths to deal with. My heart goes out to her. There is a lot to say about why or why not we do not have those auto sensers on the lights, or seat belts, that is another issue for another time/

Yes I thought about it. But really there is no telling how long the funeral will be or if the guests (some of them from Brooklyn) will get here at 9pm anyway. Our Friday check ins are always later... The difficult room I won't mention, don't need to open that can of worms. As we always say, not easy operating a business and dealing with "LIFE" at the same time.
We WILL be at the procession, the other funeral is in the am, so we will be there for that one. The entire town is on standby right now, other counties are sending emergency services to MAN the 9-1-1 while this is going on and our Governor will be present as well.
Thanks for the best wishes. I might just bring up one more person, the lady who went through the green light and clipped the fire truck with its hold full of water and caused it to roll. She is 41, lives in our town, and now has two deaths to deal with. My heart goes out to her. There is a lot to say about why or why not we do not have those auto sensers on the lights, or seat belts, that is another issue for another time/.
Oh that poor woman! My first thought was did the SUV ignore something - but you say she did not, she just was not cautiously vigilant at the sound of a siren and sometimes it is hard to know where that siren is coming from. Crests of hills, blind curves, and the speed an emergency vehicle is traveling makes it so difficult. She will have to live and relive this for the rest of her life. She is totally in my sympathies.

I was just saying that, the light she went through was green, and on a turn and UNDER a railway overpass. I can drive down a straight flat road and not know where the sirens are coming from. In fact I always find they are coming the direction I don't think they are coming from.

My heart goes out to the whole town...words don't seem like enough.
broken_heart.gif

I was just saying that, the light she went through was green, and on a turn and UNDER a railway overpass. I can drive down a straight flat road and not know where the sirens are coming from. In fact I always find they are coming the direction I don't think they are coming from..
Sorry.....for your loss and the loss to your city. This is sad news indeed, all around. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thank you all.
I got the scoop for Friday, I think the procession will be before the 3pm final funeral service at the church on our corner.
There are going to be over 100 fire trucks here for it, and up to an estimated 20,000 people from all over, ie Boston, NYC, Denver, Dallas, etc. So this is going to be quite a turn out.
There is nothing I can do for incoming guests other than hope they get here AFTER, but no idea what time AFTER will be. So I will just have to hope they are considerate in this situation and understanding should they get held up getting to our door. This entire thing will be on all sides of us, so there is really nothing we can do. They will have buses transporting people and the whole thing.

I'm sure they will understand once they find out what is going on. So sorry about this lost.

I contacted the guests. Two rooms plan on being here 7pm+, so that will work. Not sure about the others, I told them I don't have a ton of information but wanted to give them a heads up so they know what is going on as it will be a sizable funeral and procession.
They will be closing the HIGHWAYS and THE ROADS in and out of our town, from 4 miles north and 4 miles south of town as well. There is a map here http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/255160 We live next to the MIDDLE red dot.
In fact the roads our guests take tonight might be closed. Hopefully if they come in OFF the Blue Ridge Parkway they will be okay.

There was over 1 MILE of Fire and Emergency Services vehicles in the procession. The highway was backed up for 5 miles with the procession.
Our local town paper has some images from the day. Click the images on the LINKS for a larger view
http://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/slideshow.cfm?ID=16825 Capt Dillon
http://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/slideshow.cfm?ID=16826 Fireman Danny Altice
Flag_at_Church_TB.jpg

Carrying_out_Casket_SH.jpg

Marching_distance-SM.jpg

I have never seen so many uniforms in one place, it was quite moving. People lined the roads and highways for miles and miles. Now the families, friends and firefighter brothers are past this day and can look toward the future.

Back